piisfish

STOL Twin Otter video...

well, look (and listen!) to how the wind is howling also! not to denigrate the stol characteristics of the twotter (or other dehavilland planes, they've made several excellent stol products... remember the caribou?) but I'm sure the wind help a little here...

speaking of STOL and dehavilland and caribou... take a look at these videos... I can't link the videos directly, so go to the website (It's a company that does turbine conversions for the venerable Caribou) then click on the video tab on the right)

http://www.penturbo.com/

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Check it out, we get a mention on the Twin Otter's Wikipedia page

The aircraft's fixed tricycle undercarriage, STOL abilities and relatively high rate of climb have made it popular with commercial skydiving operations where it is generally limited to carrying 22 jumpers (a relatively large load compared to most other aircraft in the industry). Presently the Twin Otter is giving service to the parachute community many places in the world, amongst others Sweden, USA and Norway.

:D:D

I've talked to the owner of Pen-Turbo, the shop that converts these old Caribou's to Turbines and refurbs the airframes. Nice guy. He said he'd sell us the one in the videos for 4.2 mil, that's w/ de-ice boots.
He thought it would hold somewhere around 40 jumpers or so. Operating costs anywhere between $950 and $1100 per hour.

So, I say we resurrect the idea of a Dropzone.com mothership. Let's pass the hat. I've got some other business ideas to keep it afloat and generating revenue when it's not flying around to various boogies and doing airshows and whatnot.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

I've talked to the owner of Pen-Turbo, the shop that converts these old Caribou's to Turbines and refurbs the airframes. Nice guy. He said he'd sell us the one in the videos for 4.2 mil, that's w/ de-ice boots.
He thought it would hold somewhere around 40 jumpers or so. Operating costs anywhere between $950 and $1100 per hour.

So, I say we resurrect the idea of a Dropzone.com mothership. Let's pass the hat. I've got some other business ideas to keep it afloat and generating revenue when it's not flying around to various boogies and doing airshows and whatnot.

there was a caribou at Skydive Texas for along time. It flew *occasionally* :D:D

No idea what happened to it though.
Scars remind us that the past is real

On the website, it says:

RATE OF CLIMB at gross wt / maximum continuous power (WAT)

Both engines
1520 ft/min

What that actually means in real life you will have to ask someone who knows about this stuff - but by my calcs, thats just under 10 minutes
Never try to eat more than you can lift

[ Operating costs anywhere between $950 and $1100 per hour.

So how long to turn the ship form 0 to 14000 AGL

Dude at Pen Turbo said it would fly maybe 1.5-2 loads per hour, depending on how full it would be. At first, I think it would be like 1500 feet per minute but then deteriorates to like 800 feet per minutes up to 14k. It's not very fast, that is true.

edited to add... the trick would be at boogies to keep a fair number of tandems on the plane... tailgating tandems... keep the revenue up that way.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...