tkhayes

Who makes a decent half-shell helmet?

I have a big head - tired of my frap hat, and am looking for a decent half-shell helmet. Seems all the new ones, even Protec, have styrofoam liners, very hard and uncomfortable.

None I have found are the right size for me or even come close to fitting. I would be happy with a half-shell protec with a regular foamy liner

Anyone know of where or what model? Anyone see other helmets out there that would work?

TK

Hey TK,

Last year I bought myself a carbon fibre helmet specifically for doing tandems and swooping from Advance Carbon Composites, and it's great! It's basically geared for motorcycling, but they have low profile non-DOT versions as well.

http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/news.htm

I went with the 'Extended Half' version. And they offer different colors and finishes. Very high quality, and it looks like something Bonehead would or should make!

plus... they're made in Orlando!

Gary

How about a hockey helmet? Are any of them still sizeable with a couple of screws? If so, that might be an option as well.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The coolest looking half shell is the Flyaway helmet. It was a skateboarding helmet from the 80's. It's now out of production but they frequently appear on ebay and the like. So you may be able to pick one up.

I own one and have made numerous jumps with it. I'll trade it with you for the price of a new rig!!:P

I tried on a Bone Head Guner, that's a half shell with room for two audible altimeters, and whith a special liner that shapes after your head. Really, really comfortable, and shuts out sound very well.

If I weren't getting a full face from the same company, I'd get that. They're a little expensive.

I like pro-tec, BTW. I'm thinking of getting a half shell from them for when I want to jump with half shell.
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?