SkydiveStMarys

Morbid Question

I'm intensely interested in this thread and it has provided me w/ great pleasure to read! I don't find this stuff morbid at all. Maybe it's b/c in my belief system, death is just another birth, just as being born is a death to life in the womb. Who knows.

Anyway, it's quite fascinating to hear everyones wishes and to see that the overwhelming majority of you want to be creamated and also that so many of you want to help others w/ anatomical gifts. Me and my wife do too.

I always got a kick out of a picture in one of Robert Fulghum's books, you know, he's the guy that wrote "All I Really Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten." I forget what book it was, but it was a picture of him, taken from the back, sitting in a chair, in a cemetary, of what would be his grave when he died. Very poignant image, as he sat there contemplating his own mortality. In my particular religous tradition, I've read about St. Jerome, who would spend long hours translating the Bible and on his desk was a human skull so as to remind him that his time was not forever. Death was inevitable. It's something I try to think about too.

And it leads me to think of things like, am I living the kind of life I want? should? could? Am I loving the people in my life like I want? should? could? What do I need to do now, today, w/ the time I have left in order to really live my life with no regrets? After all, I have no idea how long I have left here. When I'm gone, will my wife really know that I loved her? Will my kids know that they meant the world to me? Will how I worked at home and in my job inspire them in their lives? Who do I need to tell that I love them while I have the chance?

As for my wishes after death, I don't know... my family will want me buried so they can visit my remains and pray, to feel some connection. That'll probably be all that happens. And that's fine w/ me, as long as any of my organs go to helping anyone that can be helped, if that's possible. [:/]

Sorry for the rambling....

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

I always got a kick out of a picture in one of Robert Fulghum's books, you know, he's the guy that wrote "All I Really Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten." I forget what book it was, but it was a picture of him, taken from the back, sitting in a chair, in a cemetary, of what would be his grave when he died. Very poignant image, as he sat there contemplating his own mortality.

He's one of my favorite authors. If you are reading this and you don't know who he is, go pick up one of his books. I doubt you will be disappointed. I think all of us could use a yearly refresher from "All I Really Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten.":)

I always got a kick out of a picture in one of Robert Fulghum's books, you know, he's the guy that wrote "All I Really Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten." I forget what book it was, but it was a picture of him, taken from the back, sitting in a chair, in a cemetary, of what would be his grave when he died. Very poignant image, as he sat there contemplating his own mortality.

He's one of my favorite authors. If you are reading this and you don't know who he is, go pick up one of his books. I doubt you will be disappointed. I think all of us could use a yearly refresher from "All I Really Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten.":)

More about you to like everyday, isn't there! :)

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

I say cremation. As has been mentioned it's cheap. Everyone that knows me knows I am a CHEAP BASTARD. Let's face it...........ash dives are cool. The family and friends can keep the video as a keep sake and it's a very nice memory instead of one of your pale stiff face laying in a box. You can spread a few ashes here, a few there, and a few more over there. I really can't think of just one place I would want to be buried but I can think of SEVERAL places and ways I want my ashes scattered. Lastly........buying a cemetery lot seems like the STUPIDEST thing ever. It's not like it's an investment. Your money would be better spent on jumps while you are alive. B|

Immediate cremation... it's the least expensive way to deal with the body.... I certainly won't be needing it again and I can't see wasting all that money on a funeral... have a party instead...

Heartily agree. Dispose of body as cheaply as possible and spend the money in a useful manner (party, toys, invest - whatever).
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I hope to God they bury your sick ass, b/c I'm gonna come poop on your grave, take a picture of it and post it here! :D

Then Billvon is going to delete it. :S:D

That would be the coolest tribute anyone could give me!:)
Walt

Before I do the deed I'll be sure to eat the nastiest blend of grossness imaginable so that my bowels put out the coolest, most incredible tootsie rolls imaginable, k? Oh Walt, you'll be lookin down and just be so proud of your little micro! :D

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

I have actually thought about this over this past summer.

Previously, I had said that I wanted to donate all that I could and be cremated. Ashes buried at the base of a tree. I like woods/forests. I love the Black Hills... maybe someplace there....

But then I went to visit a friend. There was comfort with having a place to talk with him. It helped to bring order to the chaos of loss. His gravesite is in a nice rolling valley. Subtle and discreet stone, nothing to tip or fall or look dishevelled. (And since it was a Military cemetary, it most definately was well maintained)

I then went to Arlington. I used to be saddened by the loss that military cemetaries project. Ten years back, when I would pass the cemetary out by Rapid City, I would think that I wouldn't want to be just another white stone, standing alone in a crowd of monuments to death. But Arlington was different.... there was so much respect for those who were buried there. Respect and Remembrance.

Then I went back to the family plot in rural Wisconsin. Behind an old chruch, where lies my Father, my Sister & Brother and my Grandparents.... Their stones seemed .... neglected. My sisters was tipping, canting on the hill. The earth was reclaiming the base of the stones. It seemed sadder again.

It made me think about what my wishes would be. I still would want donation and creamation. I would want my ashes divided between those who would care. But having a place for comfort might be nice too, as long as it wouldn't become an inconvient burden or something to just be forgotten. Maybe a quiet place with a simple stone - I'm thinking more military cemetary instead of the family plot on church property. I know that life goes on and its unrealistic to visit every Saturday, especially if there are blue skies.... Or maybe a tree near the dropzone where at least Adventurechick would bump into me a time or two.:P

Death.... the last enemy, the final friend. Hopefully it will be a while before these plans need to be decided (knock on wood)

Karen

Oh Walt, you'll be lookin down and just be so proud of your little micro! :D

His soul might be looking down with pride, but his body might be looking up at it with horror.... Odd thing to think about.

And inbetween, I'll be giddy with laughter!:D

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

I want my body used for scientific research... If there is anything left, I don't care...

If there is anything worth saving, they can use me as a donor if I am not research worthy.

I'll be dead, so like I said... I just don't care.

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

Wow! Good question and one that hits too close to home and I still have no answer to.

A couple years ago I found myself in a coma and the Dr's were telling my family I wouldn't survive. They began discussing funeral arrangements and my parents wanted to bury me and began arranging funeral plots. My husband wanted to cremate me. He has issues with decomposition in the ground. My parents have issues with burning. When I finally woke up, much to everyone’s amazement, they were angry at me because I hadn't made my wishes known. I still haven't. They are still angry. I don't know! Being dead, I'm not going to care either way but someone in my family is going to be upset no matter what happens. Since my issues of premature demise haven't resolved themselves and wont until I'm dead I'm going to have to decide very soon but I just don't know! It's a matter of which person do I want to upset. I don't know! Why don't we just enjoy the day we have right now?
[:/]

I like the idea of an ash dive but don't want to cremated before hand. I'd like to have a fourway over a volcano then when everyone else dumps I carry on and get cremated in the volcano! It's be a bit like a weekend at Bernies (But more extreme);)
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca