phoenixlpr

Have you ever used your hook knife in in-(canopy)-flight emergency?

How important is having a heavy duty hook knife?

Silly old guy say:"better to have an not need, then not have and need"......;)

Have you ever used your hook knife in in-(canopy)-flight emergency?

Me, no, do I know peeps who have, Yes. Tony Hathaway(sp) posted on here a "use" I think last year it was.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

See here http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1244676#1244676 where Tonto describes a guy spiraling into power lines following a CRW wrap - his only injury being a bad cut to his thumb from the orange plastic knife which broke when he tried to use it.

and then here http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=587030#587030 where rigging65 describes a guy cutting lines on his reserve till his zak knife broke and he ends up using just the blade with his fingers.

Yes, a bunch of times. Those plastic ones are cute. Spend the very minor amount of $$ to get 2 nice, metal ones (they'r easy to drop). Mount one high (main lift web) and one low (leg strap), you may have the stuff you want to cut hiding your one and only.

look for LineOverRT.mov
at skydivingmovies.com

Here.

I have used a hook knife to clear a line over (video above). I had only the one parachute, so cutting away was clearly not an option.

I second the vote against the cheap plastic hook knives. The one I used in the video was an aluminum one that came with my rig, and was originally purchased from SafetyKnife.com (which is pretty much Square 1) by the manufacturer of the rig. They also have a "better" plastic knife, that's advertised as indestructible (I'll admit that I tore one into 4 pieces in about 45 seconds, but I do think it's going to stand up to normal use a lot better than the cheap orange plastic ones).

I'd much rather have and not need, than need and not have. And since I have needed, and had, I'm pretty much sold on spending the money for a good, quality hook knife on all my rigs.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

When I was in AFF a rigger told us a story about a jumper that had a premature deployment on their reserve at 11K. The reserve ended up being a total malfunction. Jumper's solution: Grab all the risers together and go chop chop.

The jumper then deployed their main without incident.
-Patrick

ive got a rescue hook from benchmade. that thing cuts through anything that remotely resembles fabric,

i cut through 6 layers of kevlar mesh with it and it didnt even hick-up on about a 8 inch length of fabric. granted i had the strencgth of an ox cuz my adrenaline level was way off the charts while this dude was dyin'... but i imagine yours would be too if your main was givin' out on ya'

but anyways yeah the benchmade rescue hook H20 is what i use, the only difference between the H2O and the regular one, is the reg doesnt have the plastic nib in the ring of of the grasp handle...

plus its got an o2 key on so i can open oxygen tanks bottles
Fly it like you stole it

No, and I have also never used my reserve, does that it mean it could be any old cheap thing?

If I'm going to carry a hook-knife (and I do) I want it to be useful if I ever need to use it.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein