Booster_MPS

How Do I Establish Myself as a Packer's Client? (Was: quality control?)

I have a related question for those who are packers or those that frequently use packers.

I am a relatively new jumper and I plan to travel to check out a couple other DZ’s this year after getting my gear in a couple weeks. I do plan to pack a good bit but I also anticipate that I will be using a packer at times as well. As with anything in life, you get what you give and I am sure the relationship with a new packer is much the same. So here is the question: When visiting a new DZ, what is the best way to introduce yourself to a packer? (and also find the person you want to use) What is the best way to discuss what your expectations are as well as what they expect from you as a client? (stowing brakes/PC/etc)

How have you approached this, or if you are a packer, what do you expect from that conversation? Thanks in advance!

As an aside, yes I know you take your chances when you do not pack but let’s set that aside for now.

I am a relatively new jumper and I plan to travel to check out a couple other DZ’s this year after getting my gear in a couple weeks. I do plan to pack a good bit but I also anticipate that I will be using a packer at times as well. As with anything in life, you get what you give and I am sure the relationship with a new packer is much the same. So here is the question: When visiting a new DZ, what is the best way to introduce yourself to a packer? (and also find the person you want to use) What is the best way to discuss what your expectations are as well as what they expect from you as a client? (stowing brakes/PC/etc)

I would suggest watching the packers, find one you feel comfortable with from a packing style, neatness, care taken stance. Ask the DZ riggers who they recommend. Ask local jumpers who they recommend. Then walk over to the packer(s) and introduce yourself. Ask what the packing system is at that DZ. Let them know if you have any special needs for your rig. Watch them the first time or two they pack for you to make sure you still feel comfortable with them to pack for you.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I would suggest watching the packers, find one you feel comfortable with from a packing style, neatness, care taken stance. Ask the DZ riggers who they recommend. Ask local jumpers who they recommend. Then walk over to the packer(s) and introduce yourself. Ask what the packing system is at that DZ. Let them know if you have any special needs for your rig. Watch them the first time or two they pack for you to make sure you still feel comfortable with them to pack for you.

Then tip in advance or tip well at the end of the first day.Works wonders.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Use the packer who does all the AFFI and video guys' rigs. Those are the people who have proven themselves "most reliable."

Sky monkey boy, I couldn't agree with you more. Booster, you should take his advice.

As a person who packs strictly for AFFI's and video guys, I would say you are right on the money. I will take such a statement as a compliment to myself, and thusly will disregrad your comment in an earlier thread where you called me "the worst kind of paid packer".

Booster, look for the guy packing the Velo's, Xaos', and Crossfire type canopies. Watch how he makes his linestows. Watch how he flakes the canopy, and quarters the slider. Even as a new jumper, it's still easy to tell what packers know what they are doing, and which don't. Whatever you do, don't judge a packer on whether or not he knows the FAR regulations, and things of that nature. It's also always nice to pay your packer up front, this way he will want to work with you in the future. Even if you are going to make 4 or 5 jumps, pay him ahead of time for each pack job, this way he doesn't feel like he's working for free.

Here is my 2 cents.

If you are jonny on the spot to start packing my rig and keep me in the air. I will hook you up with $$$$ and take care of you.

If you are a lazy ass and take for ever to start packing my rig, I will either find a new packer or pack myself. ;)

Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

Even if you are going to make 4 or 5 jumps, pay him ahead of time for each pack job, this way he doesn't feel like he's working for free.

At Z-hills (where I live and play at working), our packing concession sells packing tickets which you place on your rig as you lay it down. Most people buy a bunch of tickets up front so that they don't have to screw around and buy one everytime they drop their rig off. Either way, it's not going to get packed unless there is a ticket on the rig (or you pay a lump sum in advance and work off the ballance on account like I do).

Chuck

I had the educational oppurtunity to work as a bartender for 10 years, so I say this with a large degree of confidence...

Money may not talk, but it does help memory.

If someone tipped me well on the first round of drinks then they had my attention all night. They would get served fairly quickly. Their drinks may have a smidge more in them and the next time the came in to the bar, I might remember them and the great service-great tips would continue.

If the packer knows that you are considerate tip wise, then your rig will get packed quicker....maybe not any better..but quicker. Tie goes to the bigger tipper.

All this being said I pack for myself, I don't have to tip myself, and the pack job is better.

Bill

I agree tips help, but for me attitude goes a long way. Someone interested or concerned about their gear and my pack job. Of course it has to be respectful and not overbearing.

I'm guessing that you won't have trouble getting a packer to pack for you, if they are available. I used to joke with clients who were looking for tricks to make their pack job easier. I said the best thing is to lay it on the mat, tuck a fiver in the reserve flap, and go log their jump. If they came back in 20 minutes or so, the rig would be packed and the five gone.

The trick, as brought out here, is finding the right packer for you. Takes a little more work. And I recommend you reward the right packer with some extra $$ or beverage of choice.
Packin' Jack
42nd Lost Prairie: The Ultimate Answer to Life, the Universe, and Skydiving
25 Jul - 3 Aug 2009
2007 photos: http://www.skydive.com/prairie/pages/prairie.htm