ntrprnr

How many White Collars are jumping?

All:

Was talking to a friend, and I mentioned that it seems like in the past six months or so, I've been jumping with more white collar people, in addition to everyone else.

Seems like lotsa Morgan Stanley types are driving up from NYC, jumping, then driving home.

Anyone else noticed this, or am I just losing it? And if so, are you a "white collar jumper?"

-Peter

I had the discussion last week with a peep about the difference between "White Collar" and "Blue Collar" folks these days.

Where exactly do you draw the line between the two. I am an IT professional yet I feel like a Blue Collar worker half the time....:(
Anvil Brother #69

Sidelined with a 5mm C5-C6 herniated disk...
Back2Back slammers and 40yr old fat guys don't mix!

I had the discussion last week with a peep about the difference between "White Collar" and "Blue Collar" folks these days.

Where exactly do you draw the line between the two. I am an IT professional yet I feel like a Blue Collar worker half the time....:(

Good question - I guess I define white collar as IT, or banking/finance, advertising/marketing, etc...

As opposed to non-white collar - police/military, construction, etc.

I haven't noticed any change, lately, then again, I don't hang out in NY.

The thing that I love about skydiving is that unlike most parts of my life, I get to hang out with everyone from high school dropouts to PhDs, who do all variety of interesting things in their non-skydiving life. And on the DZ, it doesn't really matter. B|

Some people do stuff that's similar to my job, most do jobs that are really different. It's nice to get out of my over-educated yuppie world and meet people with a totally different perspective. I hang out with enough people who do my job during the week.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

The thing that I love about skydiving is that unlike most parts of my life, I get to hang out with everyone from high school dropouts to PhDs, who do all variety of interesting things in their non-skydiving life. And on the DZ, it doesn't really matter. B|

Bravo! (golf clap)

I completely agree and I think that is another great thing I love about this sport.
Breathe out so I can breathe you in...

I haven't noticed any change, lately, then again, I don't hang out in NY.

Some people do stuff that's similar to my job, most do jobs that are really different. It's nice to get out of my over-educated yuppie world and meet people with a totally different perspective. I hang out with enough people who do my job during the week.

Agree. I love explaining to non-skydiving friends that one of the things I love the most is that I can get up in the morning, leave my apartment with running water, go to the drop zone, hang out with people who may or may not have (or care) about running water then come home at night to it again. I can exist on two planes.

It's cool.

are you a "white collar jumper?"

I'm a software developer. Does that make me white collar?

You will meet all different types of people across society in this sport. Professionals make up a large portion of "fun" jumpers since they have the money to play in such an expensive sport. But rest assured you will meet many many different types of people. White collar is just one of the types you will meet.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

are you a "white collar jumper?"

I'm a software developer. Does that make me white collar?

You will meet all different types of people across society in this sport. Professionals make up a large portion of "fun" jumpers since they have the money to play in such an expensive sport. But rest assured you will meet many many different types of people. White collar is just one of the types you will meet.

Let me try and be clear - I'm not differentiating any specific types of skydivers as better than others.

I'm just asking if anyone else has noticed an increase in the number of bankers, finance guys, etc. at their dropzone.

It's for a question I had with a friend.

Sheesh! You'd think I told the white collar guys to get in the ovens!!

I haven't noticed an increase, but I have noticed an equal number of both. Here in SoCal, the number of Military appears to keep the White Collar from being dominant.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

In part it's changed with the times, and in part it depends on demographics and geography. When I started jumping in Upstate New York 30 years ago (I was a college student then), it seemed, to me at least, that skydiving was very much a blue-collar sport, with the exception of some DZs that had college skydiving clubs that fed into them. And even then, there seemed to be a certain tension between jumpers who were college kids and/or white collar, and the blue-collar jumpers (with the exception of Frontier/Wilson, which was always friendly and inviting toward everyone). As I made road trips or traveled around to boogies, that seemed (again, at least to me) to hold true, too.

I see that a lot less now, in that there seems to be a lot more white-collar jumpers now than there were 20 and 30 years ago, and I no longer see any of the old "tension" that there used to be. But demograpics and geography also influence this. Remember you jump at The Ranch (near NYC); and any DZ within striking distance of one of the major metropolitan areas will have a lot of white collar jumpers. I still see a numerical prevalence (even if not a dominant one) of blue collar jumpers at DZs that are in very rural areas of the country farther away from major metro areas.

Well this is a funny discusssion...:P

I guess by job description I would be white collar (professional sales) and Billy would be blue-collar (painting contractor; owner).

But, where we live (and maybe many other places) I know many people who work in construction that make more than many doctors & lawyers.:o

I think the whole "white collar" / "blue collar" label is a little silly these days.

:)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I want a platinum collar job. The kind with diamonds on it. Where can I apply for one of those? :|

(And why does that sound less appealing and more stripperish now that it's typed out?)

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

I want a platinum collar job. The kind with diamonds on it. Where can I apply for one of those? :|

(And why does that sound less appealing and more stripperish now that it's typed out?)

I was gonna say....What, and trade in the Leather Studded One?!:ph34r:;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I guess I define white collar as IT, or banking/finance, advertising/marketing, etc...

As opposed to non-white collar - police/military, construction, etc.

I guess i'm a hybrid. I was in the military (marines)

Now during the Day i do marketing into the federal government and at night I'm a volunteer Firefighter/Paramedic.
As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

I can't really answer your question because I don't talk about work or what others do when I'm jumping. It really doesn't matter to me.

In the weekday world it seems people think they are better if they do this and drive this...blah, blah, blah, but truthfully I couldn't tell you what most of the skydivers I know drive to the DZ. I know what canopies they jump, whether they FF or RW or both, whether the swoop or land out, but what they do professionally is not of much interest.

I get asked what I do when I travel around and end up at a new DZ and most times the conversation doesn't go much further than that.

What you have in fact noticed is an obvious corporate anticipation of another stock market crash by Morgan Stanley. The stock brokers know they will be jumping out of windows once the Balck (Insert whatever day of the week it will happen on) happens and they want to do it in style. you have to appreciate the perfectionism - loose everything, go for your final hybrid with Ted from Hedge Funds, George the regional VP and Boyd who has been hired recently but just managed to loose $1.5 billion in the last 15 minutes for the bank. And all that as a BASE fron the window of the corporate cafeteria.
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

I'll give you a platinum collar job, baby... ;)

I'll give you a platinum collar job, baby... ;)

Really!? That would be SO COOL!! I have no idea what that involves, but I'm sure I'm over-qualified.

How soon do I get to say "You're fired!" to the Donald?

Surely a platinum-collar position commands this level of power...

(I have a fantastic concept for a song-and-dance delivery, complete with a chorus line and jazz hands!)

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

I work in finance and would agree with you about "existing on two planes."

One of the things I loved about volunteering at the WFFC last summer was I got to meet people with vastly different priorities than what I am used to. I think regardless of white or blue collar most skydivers seem to believe in enjoying life and that your job is a means to that end not the other way around.

About 20 yrs ago I was standing downtown (PDX) waiting to catch the bus to go home after a day of work. I was in my typical suit & tie.

Suddenly, a jumper comes walking by. He also is in a suit & tie. We both do a double take and with a "WTF" look at each other. We got to talking and he worked in a bank & I am an engineer; neither of us knew what the other one did.

At the dz we were just other folks in whatevers.

It was strange moment, made us both laugh.

Jerry