spiccoli

any reason to be suspicious? hasty replies needed

I have found a rig in the classifieds that I am considering puting an offer on. However, there are some things that concern me and I am trying to figure out if they are valid, or if I am just being a little paranoid since it is my first big item to buy over the internet. For one, the seller's profile does not have any information what so ever, other than the date of registration; not even a first name. Second, I PM'd the seller asking for photos of the rig, but he replied saying dz.com wouldn't let him post them, and asked for an alternate email. The ad has the rig's components, serial #s, and date of mftr. but no description of its current condition. Also, I checked the container manufacturer's site and according to their size chart, both reserve and main are larger than the container was intended for, but being new, Im not sure how big a deal this is. Please let me know if I should pass on this, or if it's legitimate and Im just over anylizing things. I want to make a move soon, so hasty advice would really help.
we need to talk about your flare..

Since I'm going through something similar right now..
I call the seller after asking him for his number in PM's.
We talked for a while about who we know. We identified a person or two we both know and trust.
That person happens to know my DZO.
Gear has been shipped to my DZO who is holding my money in "escrow" to be given to the seller if/when the gear is approved by the DZO and myself.
Using a third party as an escrow/trust holder is the only way I'd be comfortable with more than a hundred bucks or so.
I recently got screwed by an Ebay seller on a Protrack; she doesn't accept Paypal and I was stupid enough to think that because she was a skydiver with a lot of gear sales and feedback...I'd be OK. Lern't my lesson.

The lack of info in users profile does not necessarily mean scam. There are quite a few world class skydivers who sell gear on dz.com and their profiles are usually blank.

The best way to avoid getting scammed is to ask a person to send the rig to your rigger at your home dz BEFORE sending money (you can promise to reimburse the cost of shipment if, for whatever reason, you decide not to buy the rig). Dealing through the dropzone will eliminate the possibility of getting scammed for both seller and buyer. If you feel any hesitation - walk away.

Edit to add: Oh ... I did not realize you are from Skydive Dallas. Just ask them to send the rig to gear store at SDD or to Jeff.

I PM'd the seller asking for photos of the rig, but he replied saying dz.com wouldn't let him post them, and asked for an alternate email. The ad has the rig's components, serial #s, and date of mftr. but no description of its current condition.

I see lots of pics in the classifieds, and did you check the 'stolen gear' list as well?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I just bought a rig from a guy on here and it went perfect. We did a few emails then a few phone calls and he was willing to send it to my rigger so I could try it on and look at it and to get it checked out. I liked the rig, I paided him and he called my rigger telling him I had paid for it and BAM its mine. Couldnt of gone any smoother

Now in your situation I would try and get a phone number call him ask him whatever questions you have. Then if it sounds like something you want then see if he will use your rigger as a middle man.

Also you say the main and the reserve are bigger then what the manufacturer suggests. Yeah that is a big deal because thats what the manufacturer says is safe to put in there, so question the guy about that. Also you can always call any manufacturer, from my experience they have always been a Big help
Good luck and rememvber there is always going to be more rigs for sale if you dont get this one.

I understand its not necessarily a red flag if a profile is missing information. It just seems several little things are not adding up. I really need a rig, and I want to trust people on here, but not knowing many people on here or at least knowing people that know people like the long time dz.comers, I feel I need to cover my bases.

Oh, and I havnt been to SDD for a while. I just moved to So Cal, but Im sure Ill find a rigger out here. I did hound Jeff along with everyone else with a lot of questions when I was starting out there though.Thats probably why they started going out of town more often..

this particular ad doesnt have a photo. plenty of others dont, so that is not a problem. im just wondering why he couldnt send one over dz.com in a PM. there could be legitimate computer problems, but i dont know the difference in uploading and sending a picture on here vice any other email.
sounds like i just need to get a number and go from there, i just need to know the right questions to ask.

Yes, that brings me to another thing I want to run by everyone. I need to make sure my statement regarding the canopies being too big for the container was correct. The ad says the container is a 2000 Javelin J2. I looked at sunpath's sizing chart, and it said up to 150, but i understand some canopies pack differently. Also, the container is several years old, so there is the posibility it doesnt apply? The canopies are a sabre2 170 and 181 (raven i think). Could somone who knows more about what their looking at check on this for me and confirm?

>Second, I PM'd the seller asking for photos of the rig, but he replied
>saying dz.com wouldn't let him post them . . .

This is not the case. He can still easily send them via PM.

>and asked for an alternate email.

If you feel comfortable doing this, send him another email address and see if he sends it there.

>Also, I checked the container manufacturer's site and according to their
> size chart, both reserve and main are larger than the container was
>intended for, but being new, Im not sure how big a deal this is.

It is often possible to go up one size beyond what the container is sized for. When you do this to a reserve, it means that it will likely look ugly and/or the main riser covers won't stay closed. If it's an external or partially external PC, the PC will not "stay put" and may gap. But it will usually work OK. Depends on the skill of your rigger and the actual sizes he/she is working with.

If you do want to buy this, I would STRONGLY suggest doing it via escrow. Send it to a local loft/DZ and have them hold the rig until you are OK with it; that will also ensure your check clears for the guy selling it. That way if anything goes wrong the check/rig just get sent back.

I have bought and sold alot of gear here on the classifieds and I have my own set of guidlines....

Selling: I always list a complete description of what I have for sale including pictures. Date of manufacture, number of jumps, colors, serial # and details. I provide references and a link to my website for more information. I offer a 100% money back guarantee if they are not happy with the sale. I have a profile. I am a rigger and I inspect everything I list before I submit an ad. Everything is up front and no bullshit. I include my phone number if you want to talk to me. I am REAL!

I WILL NOT sell a rig to someone who is not ready to jump it due to weight / experience / or size.

Buying: I will not even look at equipment on the classifieds if there is no picture. Sorry, but if you can't take the time to take a picture then you must not be that serious about selling it. At least a link!
I have made a few exceptions to this rule but only because I knew the seller.

You must have the DOM, jump numbers, and serial numbers. I check everything against the stolen gear data base.

You must have a profile and references JUMPDUDE182.5 may sound cool but that don't cut it

It always amazes me that someone wants to sell something but they want to hide in the shadows.....No pictures, no profile, no sale!

What is really funny is stuff for sale in the Photography section.....Less than 50% has PICTURES! Oh thats right......They cant take pictures because they are selling the camera!

Get it?

Wooosh!

Im currently jumping a hornet 170 in a J2. Just be aware that you will need to squash it once in the container so you dont warp the the main flap, and that it's secure.

I live in Perth, Australia and bought 2 rigs off here. Ask the seller their full name, address and dropzone they jump at. Then spend a few dollars checking out their story. Make it clear if nothing arrives you will hunt them down and bring back a leg. Then get it posted to a rigger/dz who willl act as an escrow. Once checked out you will have a new rig.
"In one way or the other, I'm a bad brother. Word to the motherf**ker." Eazy-E

If something smells rotten, it probably is. Trust your instincts. If you think it's a real stinker, then get in touch with Sangiro because he doesn't want crooked ads in the Classifieds either.

Personally, I had a wonderful experience buying my rig through the dropzone Classifieds. The seller is a well known contributor to these forums, and the sale was brokered by a reputable gear dealer who is also a well known .com contributor. Everyone was agreeable with shipping the rig to the loft at Perris, where I had it gone over by a Master Rigger who pronounced it a sweet rig and packed the reserve for me while I watched. I paid up and everybody was happy.

A very basic word of advise though - and this NOT about "new vs old gear" either. It's about newbies buying their first rigs. You're new, you're SO hooked it's endearing to us - we've all been there. It's like discovering sex all over again. You want a rig so bad you can almost taste it. You're also particularly vulnerable at this point, because you don't understand a lot of the finer points of what you should be looking for - and looking out for. Aside from simply being ripped off by crooks who would take your money and leave you with NOTHING, there are also some less than ethical people out there who would sadly give you a "great deal" on some really bunk gear that they know they could never sell to anyone else but a newbie.

That's why you must have everything gone over, in person, by a qualified rigger. It is an established practice for dropzones and rigger's lofts to act as a safe escrow for both the buyer and seller. Anybody who won't provide pictures or accept an escrow arrangement with an established loft or dropzone is probably a crook who needs to be shut down before they victimize somebody else. But most importantly - TAKE YOUR TIME. There's plenty of good used gear out there, at prices you can afford (well, sort of...). It's just a matter of time until you connect with the right rig that will fit you with canopies that are appropriate for your experience level. In the meantime, keep jumping demos and comparing them.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

thanks everyone for all the insight. the problem sort of worked itself out. the seller did in fact end up sending me photos (albeit on another email) and provided the dimensions which did not end up being in the ball park.i cant say this guy isnt on the level, but most of you are right, and i think it would be best for everyone at play if people are more forthcoming and thorough with information when buying/selling on here so everyone can be confident. and so the quest continues..

I have found a rig in the classifieds that I am considering puting an offer on. However, there are some things that concern me and I am trying to figure out if they are valid, or if I am just being a little paranoid since it is my first big item to buy over the internet. For one, the seller's profile does not have any information what so ever, other than the date of registration; not even a first name. Second, I PM'd the seller asking for photos of the rig, but he replied saying dz.com wouldn't let him post them, and asked for an alternate email. The ad has the rig's components, serial #s, and date of mftr. but no description of its current condition. Also, I checked the container manufacturer's site and according to their size chart, both reserve and main are larger than the container was intended for, but being new, Im not sure how big a deal this is. Please let me know if I should pass on this, or if it's legitimate and Im just over anylizing things. I want to make a move soon, so hasty advice would really help.

I'd keep looking elsewhere.
:|

When someone asks "Should I change this closing loop?" the stock answer is YES. Because if there is any question at all, just change the damn thing.

When someone says "Should I do business with this person over the Internet?" the stock answer is NO. Because if there is any question at all, just don't do it.

Better safe than sorry applies in both cases
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy