micah_v

What to do with an old rig

My first rig was a Swift container with a Swift reserve and a Pursuit 215. That was a bad choice for my first gear, despite its cost-effectiveness ($300 for everything if I recall correctly.) Landed hard on nearly every landing.

My second rig was very much like this one - a Racer with a PD160 reserve and a PD190 main (very much like a Falcon.) It was a great rig to learn on. And when the velcro was new, it was even relatively freefly-friendly (not that we did anything more than sitflying, or "freak flying", back then.) It required a lot more maintenance than your modern G4, but it got me into the air relatively cheaply. Of course, back then a new Racer was $800, a PD reserve was $500 and I got the main for around $300.

So I think it's a decent rig for a newer jumper, provided they want to do mainly RW with perhaps some sitflying. If they stick with the sport they'll probably sell it in a year to another newbie when they move up to their custom color swoopable freefly friendly new rig.

Should every one start jumping with round main, because I did? :S

Yup!;)

They are SO much safer that a 'beat up old' F-111 square with 200 jumps on it. :ph34r:

But seriously....depending on the finances, wouldn't it make more sense for a NooB to spend 7-800.00 on a safe serviceable used rig 'from the 90's' and another 1500.00- 2,000.00 on jumps, and THEN worry about the 21st century gear?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I have an old rig that has been sitting in my closet since 97. Should have sold it years ago, now I am wonder what the best thing to do with this is as far as selling it.

The rig is a XL Racer Elite with about 200 jumps on it. The main is a Falcon 215 with also a few hundred jumps. The reserve is a Raven II with 0 jumps. Also has a Cypress with a totally dead battery.

I wondering if it is best to sell as separates or complete rig. About 5 years ago I brought to a local DZ to see if they could sell on consignment. They stuck a $2500 price on it and after a few months gave it back to me. I think they probably opened everything up and inspected it. Should I take this thing back to a rigger and have them inspect it again? What is this thing worth? Everything is in excellent condition, maybe just a little dusty.

Thanks for any advice!
--
Micah

Nope, complete junk!!
Matter of fact, it is dangerous just to have it on hand (liability issues, you understand).
So, ship it to me and I'll "dispose" of it for you. (as a favor to you). B|

I would suggest that it does have resale value, but I would also warn the newbie that it needs a good inspection (including main) and that many of his/her instructors may or may not be familiar with the performance behavior of this age system. I will leave to those who jump Racers and freefly as to whether this vintage is good for "unusual attitudes".

Good luck.

Jim
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

I'll bet you could get $1000 for it on eBay. This would be a great rig for a novice on a budget. He could put 50 jumps or so on it, then sell it to another novice for the same $1000 when he's ready to move up (or down I should say).

Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video

I was asked by an old time jumper if I could sell gear of his neighbor's deceased son. She had it under her house trailer for 5 years. Having never jumped a square main or reserve, even a piggy-back he assured her it was worth millions. Her son a friend was 6'5'' and 240 lbsBeing tha size would make match up's even harder. He had a crew canopy for a main and a 165 reserve in an old Vector. The cypress was very expired and the harness was very stinky. I sold all I could but no one wanted the harness.She was happy with what she got about half of what Bob told her. I was at our DZ a few years later and asked by a resident of the town about old rigs.He had a brother with M.S. just like my wife. He wanted a harness to hook up to a cherry picker type thing to lift him off his bed and toilet. He also wanted to hold him upright for leg exercises too. He was told by hospital suppliers it was about $500 . I told him it was closer to 24. He got a lot happier when I told him 24 beers' I stripped all the unneeded stuffof then handed it to him. I heard from him later it worked out fine. There are M.S. centers all over and other groups that might be able to use old rigs so give it a thought be fore tossing one out
PS he helped drink the beer so it all worked out

I donated my old rig to a college skydiving club for cutaway practice. Last I heard they were happy with it. I'm sure I don't want to see how skanky it's become, but, well, it's much better than sitting in someone's loft under a lot of other stuff.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

And I've got a PD 150 with definitely more than 500 jumps on it which lands beautifully. I jump that whenever I want a "non-thinking" canopy - i.e. its sunset and I'm tired and I've made 8 jumps that day. It is nowhere close to being worn out.

given you're used to landing lightnings most of the time, i 'm not particularly reassured about your PD150's landing characteristics. "it lands better than my lightnings" doesn't say much :P

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

My first three rigs were used rigs, none of which I paid over 800 bucks for. None of them had an AAD, and they were all F111 canopies. This would be a great rig for a new jumper. I did what someone mentioned. Made no more than 30-50 jumps on the "old" stuff, sold it for the same amount and moved on. It's great for leaning, and canopy progression.

IMHO- learning on the F111 taught me things I may not have picked up right away jumping ZP. Sell it on ebay, there are plenty of new jumpers that will "jump" (sorry couldn't resist) at the opportunity to buy this rig. I would start the bidding at 300, and I bet you get at least 600 for it. I did, every single time.
Just do the new jumpers a favor, and explain everything about the rig and canopies.

Four rigs later, I finally spent 2500 for really good gear. It was worth the wait.
Brad