freeflajankie

Horses and Equipment

Hey all,

I was hoping that there might be some horse knowledgeable people out there...

I just got myself a horse, or I'm leasing a horse full time, to learn more and all that good stuff before I go out and buy one...

Now I'm wanting to buy my own saddle and man do they differ in price...

You can get one for less than $200.00 and then some for over $3000.00

I can understand that they will obviously differ in quality, but really that much???

For a first saddle what would be a good amount to spend.
The saddles I'm looking for are the Australian Saddles, since they are kind of in between the English and the western. And they seem really good, and I've red some reviews on them.
I wont be jumping in the saddle it will be mostly trail rides and just getting better all together.

I'm hoping someone here would have some input.

Thanks
Ankie
Skydivers are a bunch of insensitive jerks...
And that's why I don't skydive anymore!

My sister is an experienced equestrian. My dad and I were once pondering buying her a nice new saddle. I'm glad we didn't. The saddle is big deal, and yes, the prices are that broad.

I don't know how big the stable is where you're keeping the horse, some other riders there will have better input. Other than that, check out a publication called, "The Chronicle of the Horse" -- that's the magazine for the sport, and you might find some good used gear on there. That's pretty much a formal equestrian audience though.

Worry less about price, and more about how it will fit you and the horse. Having said that, the phrase, "...and you thought skydiving is an expensive sport..." is quite appropriate.

Good luck.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I used to ride a bit so heres my .02

A saddle is much like anything else, you get what you pay for.
Look for a used saddle, sometimes you can pick a good one up for much less than what would new and still have a near new one.

If youre going to be on trail rides, i would recommend a western saddle vs english or austrailan. its will be more supportive on technical rides.

I like leather, but have seen some very nice composit pieces out there.

Get it sized for you. too small or too big, you'll not be comfortable.

Hope that helps.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

The price of a saddle depends on who made it, what type of leather it is made from, and how ornate it is, among other things. I used to teach riding and have ridden for a number of years. I would not buy a saddle via a catalog or online. It is a very personal choice and needs to fit just right.

The better quality of a saddle can benefit the horse as much as you. Once you buy a saddle do not go cheap on a saddle blanket, those things can get pretty pricey too, but when it comes to saddles and blankets you get very much what you pay for, they take alot of abuse.

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

My parents raise horses, therefore I grew up around them...riding/taking care of/etc.

I agree completely with what Bobbi wrote. Buy a saddle that fits you comfy and dont go cheap on the blanket. With our horses, we use a throw, then a blanket on top, then the saddle.

Other things you need to consider (other than feel) is what kind of riding you will be doing. And not just now, but in the near future. That being said, a "western saddle" is probably the best all round riding saddle there is. They are a bit bulky but do offer LOADS of "safety" features other saddles do not (and the horn is not one of them :-P ).

Go to a saddle shop, sit on a few, and talk to the people there. Just pretend you are at the gear shop looking for that great freefly rig but dont want to spend 5000.00 dollars for it. The people at the shop generally take care of their own, and more than likely can get you a great used saddle.

Billy
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

Buying a saddle, is not easy. Basically, throw 'price', out the window. Get a good saddle that fits your horse. If, the 'bars' don't fit the horse properly, he's going to get sores and probably buck you off his back. Secondly, it has to fit you, also. Since you are going into mostly trail riding, check-out some of the Circle-Y brand trail saddles. Talk with a good, reputable dealer. They can really help you. Talk with experienced cowboys or other riders. Don't be afraid to let them know you are new to horses. You're on your way to a lot of enjoyment. One piece of advice I'll give, for the heck of it. Get to know your horse and let him get to know you and groundwork... lots of it! Horses are an every day thing. You can't leave one at a stable for six-months then expect him to perform like Trigger the next time you see him.;) Good luck to you!

I wanted to mention also; You will hear as many different answers to your questions as there are breeds of horse. There are tried and true methods. Check-out Monty Roberts or Craig Cameron (trainers) they are on the web.

Chuck

Check-out Monty Roberts or Craig Cameron (trainers) they are on the web.

I second these and would like to add Clinton Anderson.Monty Roberts does super reliable techniques and very horse-friendly.Clinton Anderson's "Downunder Horsemanship" program is VERY rider and horse-friendly plus very easy to understand as its broken down very simple.I've been to both Robert's and Anderson's clinics in person and they are very educational and amazing to learn from.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

Pat Parelli is also a good one to look into.

Bobbi

I've watched Parelli and I think he's funny and a good 'showman' but, I just prefer Monty Roberts or Craig Cameron. Roberts and Cameron seem to be able to accomplish more and get better results in a shorter time with less hassle. JMO

Chuck

I forgot about Clinton Anderson. He's not bad. I prefer a trainer who knows horses and works them without whips or 2x4's! I've used a lot of Monty Roberts methods with my horse and have been able to get rid of some (previously instilled) bad habits. What amazes me is, how quickly those methods work. It makes the whole thing... fun.

Chuck

Hmm.I've never seen Anderson use 2X4s or whips at his clinics or on his shows.I know hes used a lunge line and different reining techniques though.We use all of Roberts' roundpen techniques as well as his passive trust type techniques...they're golden!I swear my dad can do anything with our horses just like Monty does.Its so cool to watch.I call him 'our very own horse whisperer'.

a very useful thread for me too... we're gonna be getting a pair of horses in the near future... our farm we bought has a nice horse barn already on it... and what's a horse barn w/ no horses, right? ;)

thanks for the tips y'all!

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Hmm.I've never seen Anderson use 2X4s or whips at his clinics or on his shows.I know hes used a lunge line and different reining techniques though.We use all of Roberts' roundpen techniques as well as his passive trust type techniques...they're golden!I swear my dad can do anything with our horses just like Monty does.Its so cool to watch.I call him 'our very own horse whisperer'.

No, no! I wasn't saying Anderson uses 2x4's or any of the other trainers. I was making reference to some 'arcaic' methods used in the past by folks who only understood brute force to get a horse 'submissive'. The 'old' thinking was to break the horse's 'spirit'.
It's a real joy, to see the results of using Monty's methods, or Cameron's. I've seen some amazing results with my own horse, using their methods.

Chuck

a very useful thread for me too... we're gonna be getting a pair of horses in the near future... our farm we bought has a nice horse barn already on it... and what's a horse barn w/ no horses, right? ;)

Yup! ...and plenty of room for them to be 'horses'. Good luck to you!

Chuck

Chuck

thanks! plenty of room indeed! 16+ acres, natural stream that's clean, shade, good pasture, i think we're set but I need to do some fence work first.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Chuck

thanks! plenty of room indeed! 16+ acres, natural stream that's clean, shade, good pasture, i think we're set but I need to do some fence work first.

That'll work! Sounds great!

Chuck

No, no! I wasn't saying Anderson uses 2x4's or any of the other trainers. I was making reference to some 'arcaic' methods used in the past by folks who only understood brute force to get a horse 'submissive'. The 'old' thinking was to break the horse's 'spirit'.
It's a real joy, to see the results of using Monty's methods, or Cameron's. I've seen some amazing results with my own horse, using their methods.

oops!my mistake.I misread what you wrote.:$

Know what you mean about the old ways of breaking a horse's spirit.Its stupid.If you work nicely,comfortably and equally with the horse they will want to do what you ask them to.Never beat an animal in training..it completely negates all that you're trying to teach.Just like with a child..if you yell at them they arent going to listen to you.Whats the saying...The louder the voice the less someone listens?

You definitely get what you pay for, saddle-wise. Depending on the riding you're going to be doing, either a Australian saddle or a light Western saddle would serve you well. The frame of the saddle *DEFINITELY* needs to fit the horse!!! A good pad like the Professional's Choice Air Ride Pad can make all the difference in the world, to you and your horse! I strongly recommend the Pro Choice pads!

In many ways, an Australian saddle CAN be a better choice - you have a bit more rise in the back than an English saddle, and you have the knee rolls and swells that can keep you more secure in the saddle than a straight western saddle. If you don't need the heavy, stiff frame of a traditional Western saddle, the Bob Marshall Sport Saddles are very popular trail and event saddles.

I definitely *STRONGLY* recommend lessons... Pat Parelli, John Lyons, or the like - they teach you ways to communicate with the horse that are effective and non-stressful for the horse... a win-win!!

One last thing..... SOFT HANDS!!!!!! You *don't* want to be yanking the horse's head around everywhere. Take the time and spend the money to learn how to effectively communicate with the horse (see above).

Be prepared to spend LOTS of money... like the other poster said... "and you thought SKYDIVING was expensive...."

You're looking at:

Monthly board fees and horse lease - you can easily pay $300/month board.
Does the horse need dietary supplements? There's another couple hundred bucks a month.
Tack - the sky's the limit....literally. I've seen $5k sets of tack... NOT show tack, either!
Farrier - you're looking at trimming and shoe resets every 6 weeks or so... anywhere from $40-$75 or more.
Vet - yearly shots and checkups, Coggins tests, etc... several hundred dollars a year assuming the horse is healthy.

Chuck, hippie, others... did I miss anything??
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Sid Hill and Bates are the most used brands that are around here for stock saddles - we used a Sid Hill Cox Poley for a long while this is not an extreme stock saddle - these weigh around 25lbs and they do tend to move your seat around a bit - they are rock solid - deep seat, good thigh rolls.

Below is a link to an Australian saddle site to give you an idea of the various types of saddles that are around.

The Sid Hills and Bates are built around very solid trees using quality leather - that is what you pay for. A quality synthetic comes in weighing much lighter - so depending on how much weight the horse is going to carry these could be an option too.

{http://shop.valleycountry.com.au/catalogue/category2/category109/category118}

Have far more serious injutries riding than jumping so stay safe

"Be prepared to spend LOTS of money... like the other poster said... "and you thought SKYDIVING was expensive...."

You're looking at:

Does the horse need dietary supplements? There's another couple hundred bucks a month.
Tack - the sky's the limit....literally. I've seen $5k sets of tack... NOT show tack, either!
Farrier - you're looking at trimming and shoe resets every 6 weeks or so... anywhere from $40-$75 or more.
Vet - yearly shots and checkups, Coggins tests, etc... several hundred dollars a year assuming the horse is healthy.

Chuck, hippie, others... did I miss anything?? "

YEAH! TIME!!!!!!!! Your horse has to be top priority on the "To Do" List. Everyday, 7 days a week! Unless you have oodles of money and a cushy job, I really can't see how you can have both as a hobby.[:/]:(

Bobbi

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

This is a great thread for me too! I've been taking riding lessons for about a year now. I just had a birthday and my training horse is also now for sale. Go figure... looks like I'll be a new horse owner.

I'm also thinking about gear. Right now I'm riding on a western "Tucker" trail saddle. It's like sitting in a Cadillac. Luckily, my barn is very generous about gear and everyone lets everyone try their saddles for fit, comfort, etc.

I want to compete in *something* and this horse has spent many years doing trails. He's new to the arena, kinda hates it, but tolerates it if we keep moving. I was thinking about pole bending, and something called "extreme cowboy" with the "cowboy wall" and stuff. Anyone have any thoughts on those disciplines?

Also - what is a good western horse mag to get?

Is a chicken omelette redundant?

You definitely get what you pay for, saddle-wise. Depending on the riding you're going to be doing, either a Australian saddle or a light Western saddle would serve you well. The frame of the saddle *DEFINITELY* needs to fit the horse!!! A good pad like the Professional's Choice Air Ride Pad can make all the difference in the world, to you and your horse! I strongly recommend the Pro Choice pads!

In many ways, an Australian saddle CAN be a better choice - you have a bit more rise in the back than an English saddle, and you have the knee rolls and swells that can keep you more secure in the saddle than a straight western saddle. If you don't need the heavy, stiff frame of a traditional Western saddle, the Bob Marshall Sport Saddles are very popular trail and event saddles.

I definitely *STRONGLY* recommend lessons... Pat Parelli, John Lyons, or the like - they teach you ways to communicate with the horse that are effective and non-stressful for the horse... a win-win!!

One last thing..... SOFT HANDS!!!!!! You *don't* want to be yanking the horse's head around everywhere. Take the time and spend the money to learn how to effectively communicate with the horse (see above).

Be prepared to spend LOTS of money... like the other poster said... "and you thought SKYDIVING was expensive...."

You're looking at:

Chuck, hippie, others... did I miss anything??

I think, you did real good! One thing I might add. You buy all that fancy tack, to make that horse look good!:D.
On the serious side, It all sounds like a lot of money, owning a horse but, it just kinda works-out and you don't really notice it. Just don't try to make-up for an ill fitting saddle with pads.:D Oh! Keep those hooves clean. Work with picking-up his hooves and messing with his hooves. It is NOT the Farrier or Blacksmith's job to allow his hooves to be worked with. That's the owner's job to 'prepare' the horse for the Farrier or Blacksmith.

Chuck