McBeth

Being allergic to cats sucks

That's all :|

get one of those hairless cats, they are WAY UGLY but you dont get an allergic reaction to htem :ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

That's all :|

get one of those hairless cats, they are WAY UGLY but you dont get an allergic reaction to htem :ph34r:

Not necessarily true... there's plenty of people that are allergic to pet dander...

ETA: Hypo-allergenic cats?

That's whay i said the hairLESS cat, it does not have hair, dander is hiar particles that flake off Hairless cats that are sponge washed regular are low in allergens.
The allergen is caused but saliva creating danfruff
wash the dandruff regularly no allergy
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Dander is more skin particles than hair, according to information I've read...evidently the allergen itself tends to concentrate in the saliva.

Medline quote:
"People who are allergic to certain animals are, in fact, rarely allergic to the animals' fur or feathers themselves. They are actually allergic to the small scales of skin (dander) that the animal sheds. Some people are allergic to the animal's saliva, particularly cats (whose saliva contains a protein known to cause allergy). Saliva exposure occurs if the animal licks the person. It may also occur from petting the animal after it has groomed itself or from touching an object that the animal has recently licked or chewed."
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Dander is more skin particles than hair, according to information I've read...evidently the allergen itself tends to concentrate in the saliva.

Medline quote:
"People who are allergic to certain animals are, in fact, rarely allergic to the animals' fur or feathers themselves. They are actually allergic to the small scales of skin (dander) that the animal sheds. Some people are allergic to the animal's saliva, particularly cats (whose saliva contains a protein known to cause allergy). Saliva exposure occurs if the animal licks the person. It may also occur from petting the animal after it has groomed itself or from touching an object that the animal has recently licked or chewed."

Did you read my post :D:D it says that it's causedby saliva, WASH THE CAT no saliva
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Yup, I did... your first post, you said that hairless cats don't cause allergies... then in the other, you said dander was hair flakes.

In your defense, you did bring up saliva and dandruff in the second post, though... :P

I learned something new, regardless, about the allergen being in the saliva.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Did you read my post :D:D it says that it's causedby saliva, WASH THE CAT no saliva

Are you going to wash the cat every day? Cats instinctually groom themselves constantly and every time that they lick, they lay down more of the FEL d 1 protein in their saliva that people are allergic to.

There is a company (Allerca) that is genetically engineering cats that don't have the protein, but I don't know if they're ready to ship yet.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I got a bottle of 300 count generic clariton (Kirkland which is the Cosco brand) last week for my cat allergies. I take it daily and even can skip the days I am not home much and I have been doing great! No real allergies to speak of and she sits on my lap while I work on the computer.

edited to add: My allergies are pretty bad. Just the 10 minutes we spent in the shelter had me sniffing and itching and throat swelling.....

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

Cats suck, they piss off all day, come back, eat some food, purr a bit, shit in your sandpit so the kids cant play in it anymore then fuck off again...

Then they have the cheek to leave hair (or apparantly not now I read above posts) around which makes my eyes puff up! >:(

Rather have a dog anyday than a climby scratchy cat

There is a company (Allerca) that is genetically engineering cats that don't have the protein, but I don't know if they're ready to ship yet.

That's great if I decide I want my own cat, but I can't even visit people that have cats w/o coughing an sneezing all over them. :(

That's great if I decide I want my own cat, but I can't even visit people that have cats w/o coughing an sneezing all over them. :(

Claritin is your friend.... :)
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I take it every day. Definitely makes things better.

Yup, I'm allergic to dust and a number of pollens... luckily, not strongly allergic, but enough that I'm schniffy-nosed most of the time!
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Yikes. Remind me to wear clothing straight from laundering or drycleaners if I meet you. I usually hug or pet my kitties before I leave my apt. :o

so you walk around everyday constantly covered in pussy fur?:ph34r:
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Yikes. Remind me to wear clothing straight from laundering or drycleaners if I meet you. I usually hug or pet my kitties before I leave my apt. :o

so you walk around everyday constantly covered in pussy fur?:ph34r:

Technically yes. Personally no. :|

Prevert. :P (Yes, I mean prevert.)