notrealsteve

Going from a 170 to 150 to 120?

Hey, i'm new to the sport and i'm looking to buy some gear, i was wondering if it would be wise to get a new container and put in used canopies. I'm asking this because i am at the moment using a 170 and hope to downsize to a 150 by the end of the summer. and i was wondering if later i can downsize to a 120 without changing container.( any suggestion for a container)

Probably not. If the container was built to hold a 170, you may be able to go to a 135 in it, depending on the brand of the container; a 120 would really be pushing it in any brand container.

The smart choice in downsizing is to go one size at a time. Put several hundred jumps minimum on a 150, then do the same on a 135. By the time your skills are truly good enough to safely fly a 120 you'll probably be ready for a new container anyway.

The only container I know of that can hold a 170-120 is a Atom 00, and if you're american you're out of luck PdF doesn't sell there. But that container takes a hybrid ZP/F111 170 (common here are Merits, i suppose a Silhouette might work too) and goes down safely to a ZP 120. Problem is, the reserve is a 128/126 sqft. So from your Merit 170 to a PD126 in one go is not going to be much fun [:/]

most containers can be made to accept one size up and down from what it's made for. But if you buy a too-biggish canopy for your rig you will have problems packing it, esp if you're a newbie, i know i did the first 80 jumps or so on my shiny new biggish spectre. And i STILL don't like packing because of that [:/]

ciel bleu,
Saskia

But that container takes a hybrid ZP/F111 170 (common here are Merits, i suppose a Silhouette might work too) and goes down safely to a ZP 120.

Notice that Merit is not measured as PD's canopies. Its close the the "size 150".

I had a Merit170 in my Vector V1-2. I use Pilot150 and Cobalt135 there. Cobalt 135 is really the smallest I can have there.

Back to the original problem: 170-150-135-120, Using 4 sizes of canopies in one H/C. One end could be really tight, gourmets not on each other - thats a hell to pack and wears faster. The other end could be really loose: might not closing safely. E.g. if you push it the pin might fall out. :S.

Manufacturers seems to pair the main and reserve canopies that way thet the reserve is less than equal in size of the the smallest main you can fit there.

as at my exit weight i'd be following a similar downsizing progression, an option i've discussed with coaches at my DZ. is to get a container sized for a 150. that way it can fit a 170 now, a 150 later on, and a 135 much later. good luck on your gear search.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

Hey Steve,

Depending on what you weigh will also determine how fast you can downsize. A 150 seems about average size, but if you weigh 200lbs, a 150 is going to scream and you'll likely kill yourself. If you're like me though, I weigh 115lbs and jump a Spectre 135. It's plenty of fun but honestly it's a bit agressive. I could really suffice with getting a 150. So if you weigh anything more that I do, anything below a 150 is better put on a wish list titled:

When I have 500 jumps, I want:
1 x Super fast deadly canopy
1 x Snazzy container
etc etc etc....

What do you weigh naked?

Later

Chris
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Hmm there are people packing spectre/sabre 170's in atom 00 too, a few jumps on those 170's though. I had a hell of a time getting a brand new spectre 150 in mine but maybe (well not that maybe) i'm a lousy packer :P

It's still a bad idea IMO to have a main and reserve that are 2 1/2 sizes apart, but lotsa small jumpers (girls) have this combination here. A rig like that will last you forever though, esp with our canopy rules - 700 jumps before you can jump a 120 under the current rules, and >100 jumps for < 170sqft hence the large number of 170's around.

I only got a smaller rig (Atom 000) after 880 jumps and I regret it very much even though the rig fits me better, I want my 00 back my canopies are $%^^ hard to pack again [:/]

Did i mention I don't like packing? :S

On the whole, for your first rig, you want to make sure that
- you can decently pack the main into your rig
- the reserve is of a proper size
- you can go one size smaller main in the same rig

at least, that's how i think about it. Of course there's plenty people stuffing bigger reserves into those Atom 00's to better go with their 170 mains, and I had one guy vehemently argue his Transfair was 150+ sqft. Yeah right, a 150 sqft shouldn't be in that rig in the first place and Transfairs are 128 sqft, period. Get stuff that fits, or you may be sorry one day, at least that's how i feel about it ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

160 pounds before gear means that you'll be pushing 185 - 190 with gear. Might want to think about trying to get to that 150 by Summer, unless you plan on really jumping a ton and getting some coaching in-between. Right now you are probably 1.1 - 1.2 on the 170 as it is, which at your jump numbers, you should be good on for a while before wanting/needing to downsize. If you jumped a 150 right now.. you'd probably scare the shit out of yourself.

With your gear, think about what's good for you right now. It should keep you happy for a while.

Have fun man.

im 164lbs. OTD and thats using 12lbs. of weight. I can drop the weights if i want to go to a 150, but i would rather look into a semi-eliptical(sp?) main like the 9 cell pilot in a 170. You might want to look into that option. I decided against the change to a 150 for now till i get to take a canopy course and feel comfy going >1.0 wingloading.

im a newb to so others will have a better idea. just giving my experience.;)

edit to add... Im currently using a 170. incase the origonal poster doesnt know to look in the profile.;)

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

Please take to heart the advice you have received about not downsizing too fast. I have 1600 jumps, I have jumped as small as a 116 Batwing years ago (had about 1000 jumps then), upsized when I had babies and gained a little weight. I weighed about 160 then like you when I jumped the Batwing again before I upsized (and with 1100-1200 jumps) that thing was scary on a no wind landing.
Jumped a 150 Spectre just fine at a weight of 135ish without gear. And I only went down to a 135 when I started jumping at a dz that tends to have 20ish winds often. I still don't jump over 25 mph, but with the 135 I come straight down at that limit. The 135 is plenty fast on no wind days even at my weight! I will get a 120 eventually when I replace it since my 135 has a lot of jumps and a newer 120 will not be much difference and of course I have the experience to manage it fine. Seriously, I am almost shocked you are already on a 170 right now, and you should not even think about downsizing to a 150 for some time IMO, and not even be thinking of the possibilty of anything smaller.
Since possibly you see others always downsizing or jumping small canopies, just thought you should know there are some of us out there that don't push that aspect, and still have plenty of fun and speed on landings.
I hope your reserve is plenty big.