ladyskydiver

PSA: Or a night at the animal ER

RANT:

Yes, Halloween and Easter and all the other holidays are a butt load of fun and lots of candy is given out and enjoyed. However, put your candy bags up high where dogs can not get them.

It's not fun for the dog or yourself for them to consume the individually wrapped chocolate candies and then you get to bring them to the ER for us to induce vomiting to ensure they do not end up with obstructions due to the packaging nor die from chocolate consumption.

How many cases of those at the ER last night, you ask? 4! Each of the dogs had consumed between 17-20 individually wrapped candy bars.

Also, should your dog or cat ingest a poison - say DCon or any others - get your dog/cat into the ER/vet immediately. Do not try to induce vomiting by using hydrogen peroxide and screwing around with your pet. You're wasting valuable time that could be used to save your pet's life. Also, bring in the package of whatever your dog consumes. It will help the doctor when treating your pet. (1 case and we're hoping/praying that the dog survives.)

When mowing your lawn, keep your pet away from the lawn mower. A foot that gets partially chopped off and then needs to be amputated really isn't that fun for your pet. (1 case)

Socialize your pets. Take them to obedience classes. Why you ask? So the dog fights are kept to a minimum. (2 surgeries on those poor guys last night.)

END RANT

Ok...enough of my rant. Please give your pets an extra hug today. :)
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Ok...enough of my rant. Please give your pets an extra hug today

I will give them an extra hug from you, Cora...it's tough doing what you do. Keep at it, keep saving their lives, and keep loving them like you do. You do make a difference.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

When mowing your lawn, keep your pet away from the lawn mower. A foot that gets partially chopped off and then needs to be amputated really isn't that fun for your pet. (1 case)

I suppose I'm fortunate that Karma really hates the lawnmower and will usually hide indoors when she realizes I'm going outside to mow.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Also, should your dog or cat ingest a poison - say DCon or any others - get your dog/cat into the ER/vet immediately.

I'm repeating this! Why do people feel the need to wait and see how the dog is going to do?

Client: My dog ate (fill in the blank) three days ago.

Well, by the time we get the dog/cat it's too late>:(

My Rant:

People, if you are going to have animals, accept there is going to be expenses that come with them. Kind of like having children.

Don't call me and ask "Do you think my dog/cat has a cold?" How the hell do I know if I can't do an exam on the dog/cat. No, you can't just have some meds without me seeing the animal. Yes, you will have to pay for an exam.

Cora, I swear I’m going to write a book about stupid questions. Maybe it will educate the general public on how an animal clinic works.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Cora, I swear I’m going to write a book about stupid questions. Maybe it will educate the general public on how an animal clinic works.

Hey...if you want input, I'm more than willing to help out with the stupid questions.

Client (8:00pm): "My 8 week old puppy has been having seizures since Friday. She's been acting very lethargic. What should I do?"

My response: "Bring your puppy in immediately."

Client: "Well, I've already spent about $200.00 on her. I don't know if I should come in or wait to see my regular vet tomorrow."

My response: "Maam, if your puppy has been having seizures, you should bring her in immediately to be seen by the doctor."

Client: "Well...how much would it cost?"

My response: "____ and whatever additional costs you and the doctor decide on to help your pet."

Client: "Let me think about it. If I decide to bring her in, I'll call back."

As of 12:14am when I left this morning, the puppy had not been brought in. [:/]
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

No, you can't just have some meds without me seeing the animal. Yes, you will have to pay for an exam.

Do you know what chemical and general dosage vets use to euthanize smallish domestic pets (as opposed to livestock)? I have no need for this info now, it's just for future reference. The next time I'm faced with such a decision, I'd like to be able to make my girl as comfortable as possible, in her own home, surrounded by all of her family.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Volunteering at the humane society we hear the same stuff. "Oh, I got her as a cute little lab puppy, but now she is too big so I'm going ot leave her here. Do you have any puppies? I'd like one." **Smack**
"Do you have any dogs that are under 5 pounds that dont' shed or bark and won't mess up my house?"
**Smack**
and the number 1 quote
"Oh my god! you guys keep pit bulls here?? They are nasty dogs."
**Smack smack smack**

Yikes!

We have no pets (other than our rowdy boys :ph34r:)

When we do pursue the whole assistance dog thing, we were told we would be briefed on 'approximately' how much per year we woulkd spend on each dog. B|

The good thing as far as $ goes is the state of Washington will pay for the dogs' regular vet bills, I have heard from other disabled people with service dogs. That's kind of cool! I think it's sad though that people would consider not caring for a pet that they have already acquired due to the cost of health care. We were prepared to pay all associated expenses (and still are, in case WA changes laws).

To acquire a pet and then not be willing to take care of it's health is sad. [:/] We really need to all consider vet bills, food, time, space -all things before deciding on taking a pet.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

No, you can't just have some meds without me seeing the animal. Yes, you will have to pay for an exam.

Do you know what chemical and general dosage vets use to euthanize smallish domestic pets (as opposed to livestock)? I have no need for this info now, it's just for future reference. The next time I'm faced with such a decision, I'd like to be able to make my girl as comfortable as possible, in her own home, surrounded by all of her family.

Blues,
Dave

I've heard of vets giving the owners a syringe in similar cases.. I have no clue as to any legal issues with that, though.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Dave, here is a great link explaining more about your question.

http://www.suevet.com/petEd/Euthanasia.html

Check with your vet and see if they can do a house call in order to make your animal more comfortable during that time.

Dose would depend on the weight of the animal. The clinic I work at we don’t ever want the animal to be in pain, and will always over medicate.

I've heard of vets giving the owners a syringe in similar cases.. I have no clue as to any legal issues with that, though.

Mike, the drugs used with euthanasia are a "controlled substance" and aren't allowed to leave the clinic I work at. In fact, any time we use controlled substances on any animal, we have to record the name of the client and the amount used.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I'll give my kitty lots of extra hugs. She had a rough Friday and had a bloody spot on her head as well as a bit of missing fur behind her ear. Poor girl!

Then stop freaking kicking it! Jesus!!

:ph34r:

Get used to it Cora it will get a lot worse then that[:/]>:( Idiot pet owners>:(

No. I will never, ever get used to it. To get used to it would mean that I would lose a part of me that cares. I will not allow that to happen.

I do know that it will get worse and that I will see things I will never comprehend how a person could do it. And, I'm aware that there will be times when I will wish that I would be legally able to do physical harm to people who own pets.

But, the pets that are loved and cared for...the ones that are "family"...the ones that are saved...those are the ones that will keep me going when I wonder why at times.

I went into this career change knowing that there will be days full of tears for what I see/experience and days of untold joy.