LisaM

Office Dwellers.....

So do you work in a cube or do you have a nice cushy office all to yourself?

I have a cube, but there are 4 cubes in the room and only 3 people. But the building I am in is an old nursing home.... so all the noise bounces off the walls. We are on a tight deadline and have been closing the door. It's been blissful.... until one of my office-mates starts whisting! :S

What's interesting is that as I've gotten more senior in my career, I've gotten less likely to have an office. My job between college and grad school, I had an office. My first job out of grad school, I had an office. Since then I've been a cubicle dweller, or a "hoteler" (out at client sites so much that I don't even get assigned a permanent home at my office), or a home office person.

I guess right now I have an office - my home office - but really it just feels like an extra bedroom with a desk in it.:D

And when I'm at client sites, my accomodations range from office to cubicle to conference room to desk shoved in the corner somewhere.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

So do you work in a cube or do you have a nice cushy office all to yourself?

Yes and no... I have my own office with three windows... but it isn't any bigger than a cube. One whole wall is taken up with the three windows, and they are very poorly insulated. It's freezing in the winter... B|

What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

No office, share a computer with another! Gotta luv hospital budgets........

Here's another question, not meant to hijack yo thread but...

Would you choose:

a. Shitty job but it's in a great location/place to live?

or

b. Great job but it's in a shitty location/place to live?

I have a chance at a great job, about 12K more per year, but man it's in a shithole of U.S.'s 4th largest city......

Right now I have a job that more than adequately pays the bills and is in one of the nicest cities I've ever lived.......Austin, TX.......just not my dream job.

Hmmmm..... tough one. What sucks so bad about where you are at?

I don't much care for where we live.... the entire town is a huge strip mall. But life is what I make of it. I am greedy.... I'd move for 12k a year.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

How about option c: Great job in a place that might have lot more to offer than you think if you just gave it a chance instead of deciding you already know how shitty it is?
Shut up Rebecca, go make me a chicken pot pie.:|

:P;)

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

But...but Rebecca.......:)

I already lived in your fair city for two years. The "great job" is one I had in H-town...........

So, I'm cornfused, is the shitty town you referred to Houston or not? If so, are you protesting that you already know how shitty it is because you've lived here?

I mean, I live here. That pretty much keeps it off the shitty list. It CAN suck, I won't lie, but it's not shitty.

One more time: shitty. :ph34r:

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

You also have to consider cost of living. Sure, it's pretty high in Austin, but isn't it even higher in Houston? How much of that 12k will you actually see?

I'm with you, Austin is one of the most wonderful places I've ever been, so I'd side with staying in your current job in Austin. Actually, it's not so much that I would do it, so much as that I have done it. ;)

You also have to consider cost of living. Sure, it's pretty high in Austin, but isn't it even higher in Houston? How much of that 12k will you actually see?

No.

88.7 vs. 91.5. He'd see more of the $12K in Houston than Austin.

B|:P

Guess I stirred the "stink" up........damn!

Anyway, yes I worked the aforementioned job in Houston for two years and quit, moved to Austin but the job in Houston called, wants me back at much increase in salary.

My dilema: Go back for more money, definitely a move up the ladder, or stay in gorgeous, beautiful, fun, best city ever AUSTIN............

So, really, it's not that you think Houston is truely shitty, but that you like Austin so much, everywhere else sucks in comparison.

Now that's OK. Nothing wrong with being partial. B|

(Austin is a very cool town)