elias123

how do you define a skygod?

I've always defined a skygod as someone who thinks they are better than they are and portrays an egotistical attitude toward others as a result...

...not a good thing to be called in my book.

All the people I know who should be called a skygod due to shear number of jumps and skill level do not act it. They are generous with help/info/support and humble.

But thats just my definition...

Jen
Arianna Frances

Flirtatiously, jump # doesn't matter--Anyone can be your personal skygod.;)

Egotistically, it's anyone with any # of jumps, but usually a minimum of a few hundred, that acts as if they truly are the god of the sky.

Thankfully I haven't met many, if any, of the latter. I've met a TON of the former and fell in love with one. His approximate # is just more than 4,000.:P

I like to think of myself as a goddess wherever I be, so designating a specific type for any particular location is time-wasting really.:) (J/K!:P)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I've always defined a skygod as someone who thinks they are better than they are and portrays an egotistical attitude toward others as a result......not a good thing to be called in my book.

i didn't knew that, i thought it was someone who jumps at a certain dropzone, who everybody knows, has all the ratings, thousands of jumps, doesn't act like a skygod, etc.. but i never mean skygod in like a egocentrical way, i would like to see him as somebody you describe as a person who doesnt act like it, i definately agree with you
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

I've always defined a skygod as someone who thinks they are better than they are and portrays an egotistical attitude toward others as a result...

...not a good thing to be called in my book.

All the people I know who should be called a skygod due to shear number of jumps and skill level do not act it. They are generous with help/info/support and humble.

But thats just my definition...

Jen

Agreed. It's all about attitude.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

I've always defined a skygod as someone who thinks they are better than they are and portrays an egotistical attitude toward others as a result......not a good thing to be called in my book.

i didn't knew that, i thought it was someone who jumps at a certain dropzone, who everybody knows, has all the ratings, thousands of jumps, doesn't act like a skygod, etc.. but i never mean skygod in like a egocentrical way, i would like to see him as somebody you describe as a person who doesnt act like it, i definately agree with you

skygod is pretty universally a derogatory term - don't use it to describe someone who is humble yet doesn't deserve to be.

Those people would be called great skydivers/great coaches etc.

Jen
Arianna Frances

apparently just enough to think theirs doesn't stink and to talk down to young jumpers...:|

Sad but oh so true! A clown like that almost turned me off the sport.

I personally see "sky gods" as those with attitudes as opposed to earned respect and skillz!:P

Those would be the guys with jumps in the thousands who treated me like I was a member of the club as soon as I showed an interest in progressing beyond first jump course. They are a rare breed but make the most positive impact on novice skydivers.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Didn't you get banned for linking the log off screen like that already, or with this be the first time for doing THAT?!:ph34r:

Yeah right. Nice try trying to frame me. My post had nothing more than a roses are red poem for skymama.

Post edited by funks () on Nov 15, 2006, 1:18 PM
:P

The Pessimist says: "It can't possibly get any worse!"
The Optimist says: "Sure it can!"

My definition is, no matter how many jumps/years in sport, they can always find a way to look down on someone, whether it be for mistakes other jumpers make ( and my gosh, THEY would never make a mistake themselves:|), someone not jumping enough and therefore not a "real" skydiver, or just any arrogant attitude where they feel superior because of their jumps #'s/years in sport, etc. (or just feel superior because they don't know any better:ph34r:)

It's amazing to me how insecure most of these people are:S

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

Didn't you get banned for linking the log off screen like that already, or with this be the first time for doing THAT?!

I doubt it. I had it in my sig line for a long time a couple of years ago linked as "Click Me."

It was fun, funny and gave me some colorful PMs.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."