Simmi

hookturns?

no...that would be an unstable opening. A hook turn is when you make a high speed, altitude losing turn using the front risers very close to ground in order to swoop over the ground before landing. If done wrong you'll face plant at 40 mph or so and possibly kill yourself.

What you can do is once your chute is open pull down on one of the toggles all the way and hold on for the ride. It is almost the same thing just not close to the ground. Not suggested to try this under 2 grand though. When I started my AFP program they called this a red zone turn. HAVE FUN!!!!!

It is almost the same thing just not close to the ground. Not suggested to try this under 2 grand though. When I started my AFP program they called this a red zone turn.

It's not that a hard toggle turn is dangerous below 2,000ft....the problem is that the Student CYPRES will fire at low vertical speeds(29mph), which could easily be achieved on most canopies, whereas an Expert CYPRES fires at 78mph vertical speed.. That's the primary reason they don't want you doing hard toggle turns below 2k on student rigs..
Mike

It's not that a hard toggle turn is dangerous below 2,000ft....the problem is that the Student CYPRES will fire at low vertical speeds(29mph), which could easily be achieved on most canopies, whereas an Expert CYPRES fires at 78mph vertical speed.. That's the primary reason they don't want you doing hard toggle turns below 2k on student rigs..

AND...One wants to ingrain in a student the DANGER of performing radical turns close to the ground, although I have generally used 1000' as the hard deck for full-on toggle turns.
Mike
Mike
I ponder on this dangerous, but irresistible pastime- Pink Floyd

If you get a chance, it's kind of fun to practice them landing on clouds....

Haha, we were talking about this on the ride to altitude the other day. There were these great looking puffy clouds all around (none within a mile of the DZ though, of course ;)). Some of the guys were talking about how cool it would be to crank a big hook turn and go surfing across the top of a cloud dragging your toe in it. We were thinking it might even be possible to see the effect of dragging the toe with a canopy speed of 60+ mph. It would make one hell of a picture, but unfortunately not one we could send to parachutist as they tend to frown on those FAR violations.

We actually use the expert Cypres on all our student rigs, probably for that exact reason.

<>
Oh shit!! I better see what we use,, still renting gear and often spiral down to about 700-800 ft,, after about 3 turns I can feel the blood going ta my feet and plane out,, any idea how fast your goin at that point?? thanks for the info,, ya may have saved me a case a beer for a reserve ride and a repack,, or is that 2 cases?? Man I can't wait ta jump close to some puffy cumulous type clouds!! Of course I'd stay the required distance from them,, of course of course,,,
B

A word of caution to all you newer jumpers out there... be very careful which type of cloud formation you are playing around with for a couple of reasons. 1st off you can't see the ground, so you have no clue as to where you are. 2nd, you can't see around you so there is no way to see if anyone is about to smack you while doing the same thing. 3rd if it is a building thunderhead you could get caught in an up-draft that will kill you. end of safety briefing. have fun.

Oh shit!! I better see what we use,, still renting gear and often spiral down to about 700-800 ft,, after about 3 turns I can feel the blood going ta my feet and plane out,, any idea how fast your goin at that point?? thanks for the info,, ya may have saved me a case a beer for a reserve ride and a repack,, or is that 2 cases??

Definitely find out which CYPRES you have in the rental rigs.. You can ask somebody, or you can look at the button that you push to turn the CYPRES on.. If it is a Student model, it will have a yellow button and have the word "Student" on it.. If it is an Expert model, it will have a red button with no label.. If it is a Tandem model, I believe it will be blue, and will have the word "Tandem" on it..
The Student CYPRES can fire at 1,000ft if you are going slower than freefall speed, but faster than the 29mph limit.. I don't know what "slower than freefall speed" means exactly - no speed is specified.. In this scenario, the CYPRES assumes the student is under a partially open main.. If the CYPRES deploys your reserve at 1000ft while you have a fully inflated main, you could be much worse off than just having to get a reserve repack - there's a damn good chance of an entanglement..
How fast you go (vertically) when you are spiraling will depend on canopy size, rate of turn, wing loading, etc...
Mike