NWFlyer

Sooooo... how ya cookin' the bird?

Frying two 18 pounders, one with a balsamic vinegar injection, the other cajun. 10 lb ham on order too. Both cornbread and sourdough dressings, mash, succotash, yams, my cranberry & orange relish, trailer park broccoli casserole. 22 people this year instead of our usual 35+ brawl. Downsizing, doncha know!

We learned last year that you should probably wear shoes when dropping a bird into hot peanut oil.

"We learned last year that you should probably wear shoes when dropping a bird into hot peanut oil."

Good advice! Make sure the bird is wiped or patted dry inside and out and lower it gently into the oil to reduce the steam explosion.

Another bit of kitchen wisdom. Never try to catch a falling knife.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

I was tossing around the idea of cooking turducken... if I can convince the butcher to debone the chicken, duck, and turkey for me. if I have to do it myself it isn't going to happen. :D

Pfft. Make bustergophechideckneaealckideverwingailusharkolanine.
cavete terrae.

As I plan to do all my shopping for Thanksgiving today, I'm trying to figure out how to do the turkey. I think I'm going to try this recipe, since I figure you can't possibly go wrong with a pound of butter. :D

I'm using karenmeal's cornbread stuffing recipe, though.

I've thought about brining (too much work and I'm not sure I have something big enough to brine it in or space to store it in the fridge while it's brining; and it's not cold enough here to just stick it outside), or deep frying (too much effort, cleanup, and need for additional cookware). Ultimately, though I've been pretty successful with simple recipes. I've made this one several times and it is always a hit; I just feel like something different this year.

Screw turky. My friend just got back from Co. They bagged two big fuckin Elk. I know where I'm eating TD:)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I have no clue. Last year was the first time I even helped cook a turkey, and I just did what I was told. This year I'm spending Thanksgiving alone and am intrigued at the thought of cooking a small turkey just for myself, but don't even really know where to start. Suggestions?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I have no clue. Last year was the first time I even helped cook a turkey, and I just did what I was told. This year I'm spending Thanksgiving alone and am intrigued at the thought of cooking a small turkey just for myself, but don't even really know where to start. Suggestions?

Blues,
Dave

If you want to cook a small one, buy it NOW. I always end up looking for something under 14 lbs and find those go really fast.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Sooooo... how ya cookin' the bird?

With heat.:|:D

Ohhhhhhh.... THAT'S the part I've been missing all these years. No wonder my friends complain that they feel kinda funny after they have my turkey. [:/]
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Directions say to peel the corner, put it in the microwave for 2 minutes at 50% power, stir the mashed potatoes and stuffing, recover and cook an additional minute at 100% power.

But I don't know, depends on my microwave.
;)

I found a way to ditch both sides of my family this year! I'm very excited. This is going to be the best Thanksgiving ever! I wonder if Chipotle is open.

MMMMMM, Wapiti. Best venison I've ever tasted.
You lucky SOB.
One of my nephews lives in Colorado Springs and him and his dad go Elk hunting every year.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Roast Beast sounds great.
Are you doing it in the oven or on the grill?
What time should I be there?

Roast Beast sounds great.
Are you doing it in the oven or on the grill?
What time should I be there?

On the grill.... and I don't invite strangers over ~ sorry.

Enjoy your day!

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

None stranger than me i guess. Damn.
Have a good Thanksgiving.
I guess asking for airfare would be a bit over the top?