incode

possibly moving to the states

Hey people, i need some help. I am currently in the process of getting a 2 year working visa to move to the states and have been looking at places to live on the west coast around CA. I am moving possibly with my job but there is a chance that I might be leaving the job before the move. Is there a lot of work on offer around the CA area for young IT savvy guy, i currently work as an IT trainer in Sydney Oz. Also what is the average amount you would pay on rent around there?

Any info would be great ;) thanks

Edited my sh*t spelling

SoCal? Its stupid expensive there. :D Makes London look cheap.

Like a snowbird knows what london is like do it Ohio peeps live in the dark 4 months of the year
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

NorCal is even more expensive than SoCal (not counting Hollywood). But NorCal is one of the hubs in the world for IT. Other areas where IT is hot is in the Seattle area, Denver, Arizona, Texas and the northeast.

What kind of visa are you looking at? I thought H1-Bs were good for 5 years, so you must be looking at a different one. I got 8 years out of various NAFTA TN-1 temporary work visas. But don't ever under estimate the INS and IRS. They are much closer coupled than I ever gave them credit for. The INS knew I was out of work for one month two years ago and technically since I hadn't left the country, I was in violation of my visa. They gave me a new one, but they warned me that it would go down on my permanent record. So when I was laid off from the job associated with that visa, I didn't hestitate and I made plans to move back to my native "frozen" Canada just so that I wouldn't close the door to the USA on myself just because I violated the terms of my work visa.

In other words ...

If you can obtain a work visa, cool go for it and have fun. But know that it is a TEMPORARY visa and unless some life changing event occurs (like marrying a yank), know that you will need to leave there one day. Don't go there thinking that you're set for life just because you obtained a temporary 2 year work visa.

Good luck ...

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

LA is much like any big city. Living in the hip neighborhoods is expensive, but it's fairly affordable if you are not too picky. I find LA cheaper than all major European cities. I had a small 1 bedroom in Venice at the beach for $1,500. Go inland a mile or so, and you can get a 2 bedroom for $1,000. As a qualified IT, you should be able to gross around 3k/month in LA, so over 2k net. Do the math... Car insurance and gas will be painful in LA though...

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Hey Chuck, thanks for the info. I did miss some of the info but your right i am looking at an H1 so i'm not sure how long that entitles me for but I know its over 2 years. I am currently waiting to go and have an interview with the US consulate in Sydney.

IT is everywhere, the "money" IT is dominant on the west coast, Texas. SoCal is a good spot, and while expensive, it is one of the nicest places in the US to live in (and I've lived in a lot of states). Be sure to check out NorCal (Silicon Valley) and the PacNW too.

A one bedroom apartment in a decent neighborhood in California varies greatly, between $1200 - $3000+/mo...there's something for everyone.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

IT is everywhere, the "money" IT is dominant on the west coast, Texas. SoCal is a good spot, and while expensive, it is one of the nicest places in the US to live in (and I've lived in a lot of states). Be sure to check out NorCal (Silicon Valley) and the PacNW too.

A one bedroom apartment in a decent neighborhood in California varies greatly, between $1200 - $3000+/mo...there's something for everyone.

Silicon Valley - definitely! SoCal - lots of people, lots of machines. I'm in the San Fernando Valley just above L.A. 2 BR-2 BA Condo - $1,375.

I'd go for California B|
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

LA is much like any big city. Living in the hip neighborhoods is expensive, but it's fairly affordable if you are not too picky. I find LA cheaper than all major European cities. I had a small 1 bedroom in Venice at the beach for $1,500. Go inland a mile or so, and you can get a 2 bedroom for $1,000. As a qualified IT, you should be able to gross around 3k/month in LA, so over 2k net. Do the math... Car insurance and gas will be painful in LA though...

SHIT!! Do you really spend half your net salary on rent down there??? WOW! I'm not gonna complain about rental rates here anymore! Or salaries for that matter. IT here makes WAY more than 3k gross a month!

'Shell
'Shell

IT here makes WAY more than 3k gross a month!

I think who ever said that, might either be new into the IT market or just doesn't know the true market value. But yes I took a pay cut after returning to Cana'dia from my 8 year stint in Colorado and yes despite the fairly sizeable pay cut, I too gross way more than 3k/month.

I did miss some of the info but your right i am looking at an H1

I was always under the impression that H1-Bs were good for 5 (or was it 6) years. But I'm not H1-B expert since I never had one while I was in the US. The good thing about the H1-B is that you can change employers and the visa will still be valid (unlike the TN-1s I had which only applied to one employer). The bad thing about an H1-B is that when you're time is up, you have to leave (assuming you're not planning on staying illegally). So if you have any plans on staying in the USA permanently once you get there, look into obtaining your green card through either employment (the hard way) or marriage (the not so hard way ... assuming divorce doesn't scare you).

IT here makes WAY more than 3k gross a month!

I was thinking entry level, but don't know much about going rates.

Do you really spend half your net salary on rent down there???

I wasn't. About 15% at the time.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

H1-B 's are 3 years. Renuable for another 2 years after that, and then 1 other year.

But it is job and company specific, but can be ported over to a new position WHILE the new employer starts the petition process.

Are you sure you have a H1-b?
Remster

yeah I was looking more toward SoCal but also possibly further north.

Sydney is killer expensive!:P

You won't go wrong either way. If you pick any of the major centers in California, you'll be close to several DZs. Oregon, less dynamic growth, but a pretty state to live in, and Portland is only 45 minutes away from Skydive Oregon, which is really nice DZ.

Seattle area Washington is nice, more crowded, more rain, but lots to do.

If I were looking in SoCal, I'd consider the following areas: Anywhere in San Diego County, Orange County (especially Irvine and points south), Los Angeles County (especially Manhattan Beach and points south, and Santa Monica and points north and east). Some parts of Riverside County (if you don't mind the desert, which is beautiful by the way), Temecula, Corona, etc.

I don't know Santa Barbara too well, but have heard it's great.

Northern California: Silicon Valley -- Santa Clara County, San Mateo County, Milpitas County. These keep you near San Francisco without paying "real" SF prices.

If you are not "entry level IT" you'll live quite comfortably. If you're highly technical, I'd concentrate on San Diego County and Silicon Valley, those are the tech centers of California.

EDIT TO ADD: Silicon Valley and San Diego are the tech centers from a "civilian" perspective. If you qualify for any defense contractor stuff (I don't know if you're not a US citizen), you'll find a lot in LA County too (a lot of Aerospace).
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Hey JT! yeah i did :) thanks I actually decided to save it till I got to the states and use it for my first jump over there as the exchange rate sucks ;)

Thanks for all this info guys I really appreciate it, i need to start making the plans now but I hope to be there around June or July of next year :P