Muenkel

I think I'm going to buy a new car.

Just on a whim and I'm serious. My current car is only 14 months old and has only 3500 miles on it. But I've been checking out the Honda Civic Si. That car is sweet. I've already contacted the dealer and I'm prepared to do the Michele wheel and deal.B|

Chris

Good luck! I just bought a car this summer and that was enough for me for the next 6-10 years. If you dont mind drinking a little bit more gas go drive the new Maxima. I have a '06 and it is a great ride. I have seen the Honda SI but have not had a chance to drive it yet.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

The Maxima is a sweet ride, but I'm a Honda/Acura man. If I purchase this car that would make 7 cars in 10 years (4 Acuras and 3 Hondas). I get the new car itch every 1 to 1.5 years.

What's sweet is the KBB value on my current car is not much less than I originally paid because it only has 3500 miles on it and it has always been garaged. It seriously looks showroom new.

Chris

...I'm a Honda/Acura man...

...just not for very long on any particular car. :S Is there anything else in your life that has such a short shelf life? :D

What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

Meh. For 197HP I can't believe that it only puts out 139 pound of torque. That's insane. If I'm going to drop $21K on a sport coupe it had better be able to deliver.

Why not let someone else take the depreciation hit and put that $21K on a 1 year old 350Z or RX-8?;)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

but I'm a Honda/Acura man

A college friend has a sweet Acura. Fast, looks great, rides nice but it was just a bit out of my price range when I was looking. The Maxima was the first car I have ever bought. I have always bought trucks. Plus it was the first foreign car in my garage. It was a great choice. Just wish I would have had the budget for the Infiniti G-35. Maybe someday[:/]
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Just on a whim and I'm serious. My current car is only 14 months old and has only 3500 miles on it. But I've been checking out the Honda Civic Si. That car is sweet. I've already contacted the dealer and I'm prepared to do the Michele wheel and deal.B|

If it's new, don't expect to be able to spin a deal like Michele did. New Hondas and Toyotas sell themselves, the dealers don't need to do a lot to unload them. However, if you've got cash in hand, you might get a loaded one for $1000 over invoice. Good luck!
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

[you might get a loaded one for $1000 over invoice. Good luck!

$1000 over invoice? $500 over invoice is all some one should pay according to my car dealing friend. He says that anything more than that means your not getting the best deal possible.

The dealership needs to move cars off the lot fast in order to keep their discount with the manufacture. If a car sits on the lot for a week or two then the fleet manager starts to panic. $500 is a fair profit for the dealership to make on a car considering all they did was wash it once or twice and park it on the lot.

My friend also says that buyers should never shop for payments. Doing so will cost you big. Instead, shop price and let the payments come out to what they come out to. If you shop payments, the dealer ship will always put something called "leg" in the payment (this is how the individual dealer makes his commission) and you will end up paying way more in the long run than you would have if you shopped price.

Do this. When you get to the dealer, ask to see the fleet manager and the invoice for the car you want. The fleet manager does not make his or her money via sales commission. The person who approaches you out at the car does. Therefore, you will pay more dealing with him than you will dealing with the fleet manager.

If the dealership balks when you ask to see the invoice, you should bail. They are going to try to screw you. They must keep a copy of the invoices for all the cars on the lot so if they tell you that they can't find it they are lying to you and continuing to deal with them will waste your time and your money.

Happy hunting

Meh. For 197HP I can't believe that it only puts out 139 pound of torque. That's insane. If I'm going to drop $21K on a sport coupe it had better be able to deliver.

Why not let someone else take the depreciation hit and put that $21K on a 1 year old 350Z or RX-8?;)

I LOVE my RX-8!!!!!!!

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

[you might get a loaded one for $1000 over invoice. Good luck!

$1000 over invoice? $500 over invoice is all some one should pay according to my car dealing friend. He says that anything more than that means your not getting the best deal possible.

The dealership needs to move cars off the lot fast in order to keep their discount with the manufacture. If a car sits on the lot for a week or two then the fleet manager starts to panic. $500 is a fair profit for the dealership to make on a car considering all they did was wash it once or twice and park it on the lot.

My friend also says that buyers should never shop for payments. Doing so will cost you big. Instead, shop price and let the payments come out to what they come out to. If you shop payments, the dealer ship will always put something called "leg" in the payment (this is how the individual dealer makes his commission) and you will end up paying way more in the long run than you would have if you shopped price.

Do this. When you get to the dealer, ask to see the fleet manager and the invoice for the car you want. The fleet manager does not make his or her money via sales commission. The person who approaches you out at the car does. Therefore, you will pay more dealing with him than you will dealing with the fleet manager.

If the dealership balks when you ask to see the invoice, you should bail. They are going to try to screw you. They must keep a copy of the invoices for all the cars on the lot so if they tell you that they can't find it they are lying to you and continuing to deal with them will waste your time and your money.

Happy hunting

I got shopped by payment and I'm paying wayyyy more for the car then I wanted. BUT I'm not in a lease, I got the car for what I wanted to pay a month. Plus I'll never pay it off... I trade them in about waranty expiration dates. I've not paid for a major repair in years.

One tip.. never go car buying on a whim and after a 3 hour binge in the bar on a Friday afternoon. :| That's how I wound up in an Audi from a Mazda. :S I did however get the car I wanted before I had bought the Mazda. So it all worked out I guess.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Check out the VW GTI. Thats what I'm getting after waiting several months for the Si Sedan to come out and then being disappointed by the entire package on a lengthy test drive.

The VW ont he other hand blew me away. What do you drive right now pops?
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Check out the VW GTI. Thats what I'm getting after waiting several months for the Si Sedan to come out and then being disappointed by the entire package on a lengthy test drive.

Audi A3 makes the GTI pale in comparison. :D

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

I got shopped by payment and I'm paying wayyyy more for the car then I wanted. BUT I'm not in a lease, I got the car for what I wanted to pay a month. Plus I'll never pay it off...

Fair enough, but most likely you'll get less on the re-sale because you paid more at the out set and, your more likely to become "upside down" meaning you owe more on the car than it will fetch by selling it. Your also paying more in interest because the price of the car ended up being higher.

Don't feel bad, it happened to me years ago and I learned my lesson the hard way as well.

I got shopped by payment and I'm paying wayyyy more for the car then I wanted. BUT I'm not in a lease, I got the car for what I wanted to pay a month. Plus I'll never pay it off...

Fair enough, but most likely you'll get less on the re-sale because you paid more at the out set and, your more likely to become "upside down" meaning you owe more on the car than it will fetch by selling it. Your also paying more in interest because the price of the car ended up being higher.

Don't feel bad, it happened to me years ago and I learned my lesson the hard way as well.

Ya I'm upside down... and I knew what I was getting into when I did it. I wanted the car and knew how much I can pay a month. I didn't want to lease it since I was going to modify it anyways. So a lease would mean I'd end up buying it anyways... It'll hold it's value until I'm ready. I keep an eye on it. The resale values normally start to drop 3 or 4 years after it's been around. Normally just before a major makeover. So I'll pay for it for 3 maximum 4 years and bail on it. Got 5 years 75k mile waranty and free maintence for 5 years 50k miles.

well maybe if Audi offered the A3 in Quattro trim without having to move up to the V6 model then yes. But right now you will be spending 34k atleast for that. plus they only offer it in 5-door. Plus if your a boring old man you might like the A3..........oh sorry Slappie didn't see ya there......you ok? you need some help extending that middle finger? Its ok man people your age get arthritic.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Not trying to hijack your thread but I'm looking for a new car too...

The Pontiac Vibe I got 15 months ago is just not big enough. We'd gotten it as a family car. Recently we took a week-long trip in it with the baby and ended up having to strap a storage container on the roof.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Kia Sedona van? The father-in-law has one and it's a nice one with a very reasonable price...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The Pontiac Vibe I got 15 months ago is just not big enough. We'd gotten it as a family car. Recently we took a week-long trip in it with the baby and ended up having to strap a storage container on the roof.

You strapped your baby onto the roof??? ASSHAT!!!:P
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

well maybe if Audi offered the A3 in Quattro trim without having to move up to the V6 model then yes. But right now you will be spending 34k atleast for that. plus they only offer it in 5-door. Plus if your a boring old man you might like the A3..........oh sorry Slappie didn't see ya there......you ok? you need some help extending that middle finger? Its ok man people your age get arthritic.

Ouchhhh....

You strapped your baby onto the roof??? ASSHAT!!!:P

Ah, you saw the Britney Spears spoof video clip... :D:D:D

I stuffed most of my baby's stuff in the storage container, like her collapsible play pen crib, bag of toys, travel baby tub, etc... Would be nice to have room for all that shit in the back without having to climb on the car to get stuff in and out every time we made a visit to relatives.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I KNOW!! 34 grand is alot!!!:o

Not the 34 grand ahole.. the old man comment! and I like my fwd bish! B|

and I like my fwd bish!

Yeah... I hear the parking lot at the local Bingo hall is pretty rough. :ph34r:

Ok fuck you all. >:(