Skyvixen

Weird Landing problem

What causes a canopy to pull to one side? I jumped a 124 Pilot with a Odyssey TNJ. THe canopy is not out of trim. But I have also jumped other canopies in this rig and did not have a problem.. Any ideas?
Let's put the FUN back in Funeral

Life is a Freefall Enjoy!!
MUFF #2760

>What causes a canopy to pull to one side?

Loose legstrap on one side

One brake line too short

Tension knot in one brake line

Canopy damage (torn rib/bottomskin attachement for example, not always visible from the outside)

Manufacturing error (incorrect bias alignment of a rib or skin panel)

Reline error (some lines too short)

So, this is a problem that occurs only during landing? Is this a recent downsize for you? Are you keeping both hands level throughout the flare? The most common reason I have seen for a canopy "pulling" one way on landing is the pilot of that canopy flaring unevenly, i.e. one hand lower than the other. The effect it produces, a slight turn in the direction of the lower hand, is often attributed incorrectly to a "side gust". As you downsize canopies and increase wingloading, your canopy will be more responsive to smaller control inputs. So, any bad habits you may have formed on a larger canopy will suddenly seem more exaggerated on a smaller canopy.

Apologies if I've misread your post or if you were talking about some other phenomenon!

Cieli blu!!

I drift off to one side with smaller canopies if I come in to land with my legs crossed :S Cross other way = drift other way. Nothing wrong with my canopies, guess I'm bad at balancing or something :S

Have someone else (someone experienced) jump it if you can, see what they say.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Do you mean turn, or does it drift to one side?

Regardless, fly the canopy until it has collapsed on the ground, don't just punch your arms straight straight down. Ask an instructor to watch you land.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Have someone video your landings to r/o being a toggle monkey. canopies smaller than 135 have shorter line sets and as such even though the wing loading might not be too bad even the slightest input could cause a problem.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

assuming it is not you (because someone else experienced the same thing)
it could be a combination of several factors or just one.

anything from a legstrap to the harness to the risers or a very small individually unnoticable combonation of all things.

solution: try the same canopy on a different container. you will soon find out where the problem lies and then either send the canopy or the container back for fixing.

i have had a similar problem with a friend of mine complaining the canopy had a turn in it but when we put it on a different container the turn disappeared.

Ok, so you divide the sq footage of the canopy with your weight .. right?

Is this a troll ? or Is your profile uncorrect ?

I dont understand how someone with a D licence and 8 years in the sport is asking these kind of questions.. sorry...:S

I jumped the same rig for 8 years.. I have only jumped 3 other canopies.. Aerodyne has been questioned by many and I was wondering if anyone else had this problem with an aerodyne product. OR if its just me and loosing weight has changed anything. I took my D test 6 years ago.. Sorry I don't remember everything since my focus in jumping is in the air and not swooping, just landing safely..Haven't had a new rig in 8 years to even think about these things... Get off back.. thanks for the help:S
Let's put the FUN back in Funeral

Life is a Freefall Enjoy!!
MUFF #2760