Is anyone here a self made millionaire?

And i don't mean through passive investments like getting lucky through house price inflation.

Has anyone here done anything to actively make themselves self made and made a million from doing so, whether it's through active speculation and investment, or pure hard work and saving, i'm curious to know what people have in common charcteristics-wise who are self made and financially secure.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

I use to have that goal but I realized I was not willing to pay the price in time and effort.I won't die rich but I have had a damn good time.

Ditto. I've worked pretty close to guys "making the millions", for them at least it was done via 80 hour work weeks.

Myself, I'd just like to be in a position in 5 years that I can work my own hours and have enough money to live modestly and have some fun.

I am going to guess that if you hear about anyone who fits this category, you will hear about it via PM or possibly an anoymous post. I may be wrong but I'm going to guess that one characteristic of self-made millionaires is not a propensity to talk about how much they are worth with any level of specificity, particularly not publicly and in this context.

Then again, I may be wrong. I don't fit that category, so I can't say whether I share any of the characteristics. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I am going to guess that if you hear about anyone who fits this category, you will hear about it via PM or possibly an anoymous post. I may be wrong but I'm going to guess that one characteristic of self-made millionaires is not a propensity to talk about how much they are worth with any level of specificity, particularly not publicly and in this context.

Then again, I may be wrong. I don't fit that category, so I can't say whether I share any of the characteristics. :D

That's where you're wrong. I am completely self-made and the greatest person in the world. I don't have a problem telling the whole world about it either.

Well, okay, okay....so I'm not a millionaire. I'm not even a thousandaire, but, really, who's counting?
This ad space for sale.

And i don't mean through passive investments like getting lucky through house price inflation.

Has anyone here done anything to actively make themselves self made and made a million from doing so, whether it's through active speculation and investment, or pure hard work and saving, i'm curious to know what people have in common charcteristics-wise who are self made and financially secure.

Why discount passive property investment I have over a miullion dollars in unencumbered property equity in only 7 years there's nothing passive about that:P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I ran a projection through our retirement calculator at work the other day. If I continue to invest in our savings plan at my current percentage and continue to have a reaonable rate of return on my investments, then I will be worth between $900,000 and $1,500,000 when I retire in 17 years. The current rate of return is actually considerably higher than what I used, but I don't expect it to continue indefinitely.

If I had the forethought to actually begin saving when I started my career instead of 20+ years later, I might would have been able to retire much sooner. Oh well. I would have just spent it skydiving.

NWFlyer said it best. It's kind of like asking "So, how much do you make?" The ones with true wealth or status don't need to share it.

Well, the secure ones, anyway. :)

Your right we don't talk abou it. I've only told two other pepople that I'm a millionaire.

Your right we don't talk abou it. I've only told two other pepople that I'm a millionaire.

Were you trying to pick them up?
This ad space for sale.

Does the lotto count?

I use to have that goal but I realized I was not willing to pay the price in time and effort.I won't die rich but I have had a damn good time.

What?? You mean working your ass off, putting on awesome Boogies hasn't made you rich?? Damn! >:(

Sure is a helluva lotta fun tho . :)
I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!

I would not consider investing in rental properties while my buddies are buying new cars and taking trips to who knows where...."getting lucky." One year, my wife and I purchased 3 houses, that took 90% of our income (we worked on the road, so over head was low), instead of spending it in a bar, or on depreciatable items....well, we did skydive here and there. but, yeah, i paid for my college, lived in my pickup truck, on a small boat...just to get exactly where I am...now...to push on even further. and, oh, i still drive a 17 year old beater car. its not what you make, its what you save, and how you spend it.

edit to add:

and i will spend my future life, in blue jeans, and a t-shirt. many people could be millionares...if they just stopped trying to look like one, or what society thinks a millionare looks like. the only person i have to impress is...myself. hell, isnt that why we all started skydiving. but it turns out that where i grew up, the last of 8 kids, a powerline foreman son...the area went big, and now the millionares, are just your average joe....at least finacially...mentally....thats a entire different story. mentally, i would consider myself a billionare...i have traveled, lost friends, gained friends, love my wife, doggies, and what i do...i just whanna die with 5 dollars in my pocket so i can get an icecream on my last day.

I have no issue talking about how i make money (not saying what my net worth is), but there is no big secret, Here in OZ the proeprty market is very lucrative (dont know about the states or europe). I have 3 properties so far, all of whuch are situated within a 10km radius of a major metropolitain area, the real estate value in this band typically offer optimal growth of both medium and long terms. in the last 5 years two of my properties have tripled in value, I expect their capital growth to slow but it will continue to increase, this I certain of.
We are probably going to buy one or two more properties in the next year or so, and within 10 years we will retire modestly comfortably
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

NWFlyer said it best. It's kind of like asking "So, how much do you make?" The ones with true wealth or status don't need to share it.

Well, the GREEDY ones, anyway. :)
Fixed it for ya
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

[

Fixed it for ya

are you calling us GREEDY? its not greedy to make a large amount of income in a short amount of time, and investing it well, thus being able to not work for the man, and securing the abiltiy to be home with your children...and raise them right.

[

Fixed it for ya

are you calling us GREEDY? its not greedy to make a large amount of income in a short amount of time, and investing it well, thus being able to not work for the man, and securing the abiltiy to be home with your children...and raise them right.

Not much into reading are you:D:D:D:D
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, the secure ones, anyway.

Especially on the internet.

Chris