NickDG

STS-116 . . .

Everyone here at Z-hills just watched the takeoff. It lit up the sky very nicely! It was in full view for over three minutes.

So....is the the FIRST time you saw it live, at night, from Z-hills...? :ph34r:

In DECEMBER?! >:(

The Pessimist says: "It can't possibly get any worse!"
The Optimist says: "Sure it can!"

I must be real old, I remember my parents waking me up in the early morning to watch a Gemini launch. At the time they were testing the motors of the Saturn up at the rocket lad at Edwards AFB not far from my home, it would light up the night sky

Only the good die young, so I have found immortality,

I had an uncle who retired out of the Air Farce to Leesburg, Fla. He used to call my dad's place and then hold the phone out the window and you could hear the launch roar clearly.
I managed to be at the Titusville Scareport during a launch in 85 (???) and got to watch one of the night launches from my uncles backyard.
I can still remember my dad getting me and my siblings up to go outside in the middle of the night to see Sputnik and tuning in signals from it and other early satellites on this multiband tube radio my dad got in Germany just after WWII.
Guess I never shook off the bug that got me back then.
Zing Lurks

On a visit home last summer my folks were cleaning out their basement and gettimg rid of a bunch of junk. In one box they found a GI Joe Mercury Capsule that I received as a Christmas present, umm, more years ago than I care to remember. But, I've still got a NASA approved GI Joe space capsule.
Zing Lurks

Nah, you can find them on Ebay for about $10 ... unless you've got the capsule and a GI Joe in the complete spacesuit in the original package. Then its worth about $150. I only have the capsule, but it can sit in a box for another 45 years.
Zing Lurks

While we are talking about space stuff, I'm on lone in Wichita Kansas right now. I went to the Cosmosphere near by. What a cool museum, I was impressed with there collection, they have the real Apollo 13, Gemini 10 and Mercury 7, one of only a few places all types of man space vehicles that have flown in space. Why in the middle of nowhere they have collection like this I have no idea.
I blew up my GI Joe in his capsule with a M-80. Those hard plastic deck top models from the 1960s are worth cash.

Only the good die young, so I have found immortality,