NickDG

STS-116 . . .

They just closed the hatch . . .

WX looks good.

Jimbo, hurry up and drive back!

NickD :)BASE 194

Lemme get my camera! ;)

The guy I was with, said about the drive from Titusville to Orlando following the 'no launch'....

"This is like going from Lincoln to Omaha after a Nebraska football game!" :)

...No, more like L.A. on ANY DAY! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Wow, they just said the liftoff weight of Columbia is 4.3 million pounds.

The thrust at liftoff is 7 million pounds so I guess it pencils out . . .

Here's something I never understood, they run the main engines at 104 percent initially which sounds kind of Spinal Tapish – why not just call 104 percent one hundred percent?

T-41 . . .

Wow, they just said the liftoff weight of Columbia is 4.3 million pounds.

The thrust at liftoff is 7 million pounds so I guess it pencils out . . .

Here's something I never understood, they run the main engines at 104 percent initially which sounds kind of Spinal Tapish – why not just call 104 percent one hundred percent?

T-41 . . .

Got the link going too! B|

I always wondered that as well, I guess because it sounds cooler!

I mean how macho is it to throttle back to 96%?!

"I let off the pedal some, and got 'er BACK DOWN to to 100%..."
THAT'S why kids wanna be astro nuts! :D

They showed the Close Out Crew driving away from the pad. It's funny that when approaching they do about 20 mph, but when they leave they're doing about sixty . . .

HA HA They just set the altimeter in Columbia, just like in a C-152 . . . 30.92!

I'm in 'titusville' watching from across the bannana rivier thingie

Man, If I would have thought this through. I would have hooked up the RV, headed down to Titusville, jumped today and watched em light the candle.

\ * / < --- kicks self in ass

VIRTUS JUNXIT MORS NON SEPARABIT

Man, when you look at those big black engine exhaust bells it makes you realize the single thing that midwifed humanity to every achievement since the cave is we can control fire – sometimes.

Clock's running - T-18.

Hey!

I use to work on those out in the 'Cajon Zone'! B|

As to your 'controled fire' comment...

I know now why we're still drivin' those beat up shit wagons up there to do service calls...my two boys would rather watch reruns of cops than the launch! [:/]

"IT'S MORE REAL!" :S

Curiously ... I just found the NASA channel on the cable tv I've got. Same coverage as on the net, but the Internet is on about a 5 sec. delay from live tv. ???
Hope it goes tonight. This is the best damn fireworks show going. C,mon boys, LIGHT THE BIG ONE!
Zing Lurks

Curiously ... I just found the NASA channel on the cable tv I've got. Same coverage as on the net, but the Internet is on about a 5 sec. delay from live tv. ???

Zing~ you must have a shorter cable on your TV! :ph34r:;)

Anybody here remember where they were when the shuttle blew up in 86? Or when the second one burned apart on re-entry?
Man, I can never forget either of those events. I was getting an airplane out of a hangar at dawn that morning, knew it was coming, and was watching as it passed overhead. It started shedding pieces just after passing directly overhead and it was obvious to me that there was a major problem. I ended up starting up and flying steadily for about 6 hours until a shutdown when I learned what had happened.
Somebody asked earlier in this thread about the rigs used. While I worked for Joe Crotwell, now gone from this world, he told me several stories about building, modifying and testing gear for the shuttle escape system. He said he even got to "ride the pole" out of the test bed aircraft used. The harness/containers of the rigs on the shuttle crew that burned up were made of an exotic (at least to me) blaze orange parapack/kevlar material. There were still several rolls of the orange fabric, webbing, velcro and kevlar used in the rigs, along with the NASA/Govt. approved plans for the rigs when I had an office in Joe's shop at the Apple Valley airport.
Zing Lurks