BillyVance

What in the hell is this??? Need help identifying this

Need a little help from the electrical gurus on here. I'm laying down a new floor in my house and when I ripped up the old carpet, I found this jack or plug at the end of a very thick wire jutting out of the same hole the TV cable comes out of. I have no idea what it is. I don't think I need it but just want to know what it's for. Check the first two pictures. The third picture just shows the progress I've made so far on the floor. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Wow what kind of camera are you using the quality is GREAT!

Pfft.... it's my Sony PC101's snapshot feature. Terrible pixelation and I had to brighten it up quite a bit in the photo editor. I need to get one of those good digital cameras...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I will throw out a guess at an outside rotating antenna control wire.

That would be my guess. But my antenna control cable only has three wires. I would test it with a volt meter to make 100% sure that there is no power to it. Then cut off the plug and push the cable out of the way. Another option is to get underneath the floor and see where it goes.

Fuck y'all! :D:D:D

I'll get down in the crawl space and see what I find, but I haven't seen any other weird or strange wires in the living room, or anywhere else for that matter. This jack was hidden under the carpet, so I suspect it was used by the owners who lived here before the people that I bought the house from. I didn't see any significant stereo equipment in that area when we first visited the house when it was on the market 6 years ago. There was a 2nd, older-looking TV cable jutting out of the floor 6 inches away from this jack and TV cable hole though and I've already cut that off and shoved it under.

I want to somehow move this current TV cable to come out of the wall instead of the floor so I don't have to drill a hole in the new floor, but it means more work anyway... :|

Could be control wires for one of those old(large)dishes. Or maybe speakers,in which case your right you don't need them.

Okay, I got down in the crawl space (I hate being in there) and found the wire coming out of the floor along with the TV cable. The thick wire in question runs in a straight line all the way to the other end of the house and goes through the concrete block foundation wall. Since the house has an addition built onto that end with a basement, I went into the basement and could not find that same wire in the floor rafters there. So, I'm guessing the large TV dish is a plausible explanation. However, I haven't ripped out the carpet in the addition yet, so who knows what I'll find somewhere along the walls when that time comes.

Man, I have been in the crawl space before working on the bathroom piping a few years ago but there was nothing in the way. This time I had to shimmy under three ducts with only 15-18 inches of clearance to get where I needed to go. Ugh... Now I see why plumbers and electricians can charge $60 per hour for work in there... :|

Anyway, I've pulled the old wire out of the floor and drilled a new hole at the base of the wall and re-routed the TV cable through that. Problem solved. Soon I'll have to do the same damn thing with the phone wire on the other side of the living room and that requires going under 4 ducts in a question-mark shaped path... fuck... fuck... :|

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the aux console connection for the fuel rods controller.

uhhh??? There aint no nuclear plant here... what are you talking about?

Yeah, I'm fookin' deaf... so sue me...

Captain, I'm out of dilithium crystals, she can't take anymore...

Give her all she's got Scotty...

Damnit Jim, I'm a man not a machine

Shut up bones...

Why captain, this just isn't logical

Spock this isn't about logic...it's about, well... you won't understand Spock...

Oh and Billy, Merry Christmas! It is a flarp cable, it is attached to your flarp switch!B|;):ph34r::D