Twoply

What's with a collar?

I would imagine that a collar would serve the main purpose of keeping a necktie in place. (Wild Guess). Look at pictures of clothing in America from around the 1840's - it seems to be a mix between a collar and a more traditional ruffel - Maybe a collar is just an evolved fuction from this origional clothing? This is all a wild guess...
It makes sense to have "collared shirts" requested - just a professional appearance. Granted, manners and ediquet look a lot better in practice then my attemped explanation on this forum...:S
=========Shaun ==========

I have no idea about the evolution of the collar, but the request by golf courses is, I'm sure, to try and keep golfers from coming in with T-shirts which tend to be stained, ripped, and/or have tacky messages. They want to be a step up from that.
"...I've learned that while the "needs" in life are important (food, water, shelter), it's the "wants" in life (ice cream, chocolate, sex) that make it worth the effort." Kbordson

I have no idea about the evolution of the collar, but the request by golf courses is, I'm sure, to try and keep golfers from coming in with T-shirts which tend to be stained, ripped, and/or have tacky messages. They want to be a step up from that.

you may walk about in stained ripped Tshirt, but I dont and no many people i see do (might be a lcation thing).
I think the prmary reason for requiring Collars is nothing more than percieved elitism.
Professional images are what you want them to be, the only reason that collars and tyes are seen as professioonal is that we perpetuate a sterotype.
I have this debate at work regularly, I dont "dress professionaly" aparently:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
Yet some how i stil manage to do a very good job, with all the kids the people that do dress professionally refuse to deal with:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
I wear black Jeans and a Polo shirt to work, with my Boots, I generally ride my Moto
Guzzi to work so I dress for the bike not the other staff members:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Oh, come on now...don't get your ultra-sensitive, MotoGuzzi bike-panties in a twist!:P;) This wasn't my personal statement on whether I think attire equals professionalism. In fact, working in the medical field I have met MANY unprofessional people in three-piece suits, unfortnately[:/] I was just answering a question based on what my golfer brother told me:|

you may walk about in stained ripped Tshirt, but I dont and no many people i see do (might be a lcation thing).***

No, as a matter of fact I don't...unless I'm at home and coloring my hair. (I do have an old t-shirt that is saved for such a purpose, thankyouverymuch!)

***I think the prmary reason for requiring Collars is nothing more than percieved elitism.

Yeah, you're probably right. But I don't golf...I think it's idiotic. So, I don't care what people wear/don't wear on the links, or greens, or whatever-the-hell they're called.

I ride my MotoGuzzi to work so I dress for the bike not the other staff members***

O.K. 'Easy Rider'...whatever.

Seems like I, unintentionally, hit a nerve.:S
You're just muppeting around right now, aren't you??:P:P:)
Edit to add: 'Good on you' for working with the kids other people don't want to deal with...I wish there were more like you!:)
"...I've learned that while the "needs" in life are important (food, water, shelter), it's the "wants" in life (ice cream, chocolate, sex) that make it worth the effort." Kbordson

Seems like I, unintentionally, hit a nerve.:S
You're just muppeting around right now, aren't you??:P:P:)
Edit to add: 'Good on you' for working with the kids other people don't want to deal with...I wish there were more like you!:)

No not at all, Im a pretty chilled guy, I just play a grumpy fucker on the internet, I'm not flustered by the thread at al :D:D

You have no idea of the fear that would create if there were several of me around, one is more then enough:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

And here I thought this thread was going to be about something else entirely . . .

Me too... I thought there was a new style that I hadn't heard about where the kids were wearing dog collars or something...

...or something kinky maybe?...
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.