SkyProdigy

Just got my A, Craving Gear

I just got my A and i've been craving gear. i've been reading the forums for about 6 months now and i could really use some direction.

Most people say not to buy new, but i've heard mixed opinions from people at my local dropzones. So any help/direction is much appreciated.

As far as my container i'd like to get a Mirage i've had numerous people say buy a used one and i;ve had others say buy a new one because if you buy a new one it will fit you better.

as far as main canopy, i learned on safire 2's and its really all i've jumped. my instructor says get a safire, but ive been told that the dropzone in san diego is "sponsored' by icarus, and im trying to stay away from the BIAS. The Aerodyne pilot sticks out to me. i've read reviews for a lot of different canopies and they all tell me the same thing.

for a reserve, i'm going to get a PD.

what are your thoughts on mixing used with new gear, from my understanding it seems ok.

New Mirage
Used Main, Pilot
new PD reserve

i've also been blasted for wanting, quote "the best gear, unquote

i lack direction, i'm often better off being told what to do. any comment is much appreciated.

i have talked to my instructors who have seen me fly and land (who dont really care) so i guess i turn to the forum...

oh and im currently on a 189, i was aiming for like 150-160, when i buy gear.. thoughts on that?

oh and im currently on a 189, i was aiming for like 150-160, when i buy gear.. thoughts on that?

If you weigh 125-135 pounds without gear and can put enough (maybe a couple dozen) jumps on something in the 170 square foot range that might work well. Or not - a lot of small people stand up their landings more consistantly under a 170 as a first main even though a 150 might be acceptable according to the pound per square foot rule of thumb,.

If you weigh more or can't get there incrementally you should consider a bigger rig. Smaller canopies that are safe in 100 jumps won't be safe now, and what's safe now might not be too fun in 100 jumps. You may end up keeping your first container for less than 200 jumps; and if you've spent $2000 on it you might have a hard time selling it in a reasonable time frame for a decent percentage of that.

Well you can get a smaller set up, but you might not be ok for a long time if you pound in.

Go for a reasonable size to start. Everyone thinks they can get to just the right size to keep a rig for like 20 years. Get the proper size for you now, not you in a hundred jumps. If you weigh 140 dry, I would suggest a rig that holds a 170 on the top end, and staying with your 189 until you get it. That is depending on your skill and comfort level (go with an outside opinion on this, cause every eager jumper says they feel "fine". )

If you somehow get to a canopy safely that wont fit in your rig in the next few years, you sell the rig and get another. No big deal. But turning your femurs into powder is.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

I think Infinity is the best rig out there.

As far as canopies, I am partial to Icarus, but i do work for them.

I would suggest you demo as many different types as you can. Make your own decissions. But stick with lightly loaded and mid range performance.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

i weigh roughly 140 pounds without gear

So you'll be about 165 out the door which makes a 170 an appropriate first canopy.

i was thinking of getting a smaller set up so im ok with it for a long time...

It doesn't work that way. While a 150 is likely to be fine for you with 100 jumps under your belt, it's not safe now. I've watched lots of people break their tibia, fibia, femur, pelvis, cocyx, vertebrae, and various other bones. Jumping a bigger canopy now reduces your chances of joining them.

You need a rig sized for 170 square foot canopies. In 100 jumps you can definately put a 150 in there. In 300 jumps you might be able to jump a 135 or might need to sell it and buy something smaller.

If you want to down size to a 120 after 500 jumps you'll need to buy a new container.

now what do i pick

Pick what you like. How do you know what you like? Demo, demo, demo. Based on your location, you're in a great position to demo. Great gear stores all around with lots of demo options.

Opinions are like assholes ... but yours is the only one that matters in this decision. See what you like, then buy one. If it's used, get a trusted rigger to look at it before you commit.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

can't go wrong with a used sabre.

When you're not willing to spend $400 on a main canopy, an original Sabre is a fine choice although a Monarch with the final nose configuration will perform as well and cost less.

For a $600+ budget, there are modern canopies like the Spectre that open softer, turn quicker, and flare better.

Color selection at those price points may be limited (my inexpensive Monarch is mostly pink) and you'll have to shop arround a bit.

For $800-$1000 you should be abl e to find an example of almost anything appropriate for you to jump in colors that don't turn your stomache or give you a head ache.

what containers do you personally like, canopies as well ?

What would you suggest?

Hey, Jason -

As someone mentioned above, the best advice I've ever heard is to demo like crazy. You might just find something you like. My plan right now (I'm kind-of in the same boat as you) is to grab a container and reserve, then start demoing mains until I settle on the one I like.

Though I've actually jumped at your DZ & seen the bias, I come from a DZ that's a PD stronghold (though there's not quite the level of fanaticism that one finds at San Diego - and I don't mean that in a derogatory way, everyone has their favorites, that's cool ;)). Up until I jumped at SD, though, I had only jumped PD mains. Since then, I've flown a few different other canopies, and started to narrow it down to what feels best to me.

Yep, everyone's got their opinions...but personally I'll say that I've enjoyed the Spectre, Pilot and Sabre the most (and the Silhouette wasn't bad, either). Wasn't so fond of the Safire2, but hey, that's just me.

I know that lots of gear dealers have demo programs that are good...dunno about the other manufacturers, but I did find out that PD has their own demo program, where you pay them something like $40 for a week, and they'll send you a demo canopy to hook up to your container and fly it. Dunno if Aerodyne or Icarus does a similar thing, but if they don't, I wish they would. I think it's a smart way of letting people test your product. Ultimately, all bias aside, I think the best decision one can make is to fly as many canopies as one can to see what really works for them, then make the most informed decision possible.

Luck,

KC
Signatures are the new black.

I whole heartedly agree with the demo idea. Finding a container that will fit a reserve size youre comfortable with, and maxes out at what you want to start at, with potential to downsize...I only know javelin type stuff, so a used j2 in that case. PD has about the best demo program you could ever ask for. My personal choice would be a sabre2 170. I did something similar with a j1 and a spectre 170, and shortly after demoed a sabre2 150 and decided it was the right size for me. Kim at PD is the nicest lady in the world, and if you sweet talk her, she might even let you keep a demo for an extra week :)

Perris has an especially good rental plan for canopies - can switch throughout the day - and they have a pretty wide selection. If you got the container and PD reserve, you're set to try out some mains before committing. (or if you see a good deal in a 170, just get it and fly it for a while, then sell it for nearly the same when you can make a more experienced decision)

I own the gear store at Skydve San Diego, and I can tell you that we sell Performance Designs, Aeodyne, Precision and Icarus.

If you come in for a gear consultatin, you will receive an unbias comparison of your choices. No two jumpers are alike.

The drop zone is not "Sponsored" by Icarus, but does have an Icarus dealership. They get great customer service from Wyatt who is the US Icarus rep. and on site several days a week.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

My piece of advice is to buy your gear one piece at a time. You should be able to put a really nice rig together for a great price. Also, you could start buying the inexpensive (ha!) parts first. Goggles, altimeter, helmet, jumpsuit.. you're going to need those just as much as a rig, might as well buy them now!