jheadley

Best way to inspect ribs and inside?

In a place with no way to hang up a canopy, what is the best method to use to inspect the inside of the canopy? At DeWolf's course, we were taught to pull the cells inside-out and look at it like that, but that drove me nuts, I can't really understand what I'm looking at.

Recently I've tried just sticking my head inside and looking around, pulling the fabric towards me until I get to the tail, and also standing on a chair, and looking down at it, and while they both seem ok to check for any obvious damage, I can not really closely examine stitching or fabric weave that way.

How do you rigger folk inspect the inside, and how closely do you do it?

When I worked at Strong Enterprises, we had a big floor fan that we could point into the nose of the canopies that really made it easy to do inspections. This method allows you to see the inside of the canopy with no problems all the way to the tail.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

As was suggested, when you don't have a means of suspending the parachute, use a fan. I was taught (years ago), to stick my head into the cell while supporting the cell with my arms and pushing the material away from me from trailing edge to leading edge. I like to use a suspension device and a small fan on the floor. Moving the fan along as I need to to inflate the cells.

Chuck

When I can't hang them up I sit on a wooden stool. Make sure the stool and you don't have anything that can snag the canopy. (why I use a woodend stool) Then I pull it over my head till the tail. For really dark colored reserves I've had to wear an LED head lamp to have enough light.:S No need with light colored ones.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

if you have a helper, I was recently showed a good trick. Have them hold the tail and just pull the nose tight and look inside. You can see all the way to the tail and get a good look at the top and bottom skins of each cell in one shot.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Q:In a place with no way to hang up a canopy, what is the best method to use to inspect the inside of the canopy? A:sticking my head inside and looking around, pulling the fabric towards me until I get to the tail,*** In this instance, this is similar to my method. inspect assembly, at line stretch canopy nose down i'll pick up left nose stand midway down lines on left side of lines. My feet stay in that place and don't move throughout this part of inspection. What am I looking for anyway? Obvious: damage such as a hole, failed stitches, failed seams,crossport damage. Less obvious: missing stitches,stitch tension, missing reinforcement tapes, intersection of reinforcement tapes at line attachment, nose bartacks, rib backstitch at nose, overstitches,patches, bridle attachment(mains), reinforcement stitches etc. Fabric weave: during this inspection i look at the fabric while facing light. Having back light, the weave illuminates a bit while looking inside the canopy. If your going to inspect canopy by crawling into the cells beware of putting an elbow into a crossport, wearing sharp catchy objects, walking on canopy. As far as method goes, I inspect nose tapes,folds,and stitching, then one rib and top skin on the way in to the cell and other rib and bottom skin on the way out (while looking toward a light source through the fabric).Understanding the construction of the canopy also means that i'm inspecting for missing stitching and/or parts. What if there is no bartacks on each intersection of the nose tapes? There is still more to the inspection. Not saying this way is the 'Best', it's good though.

In a place with no way to hang up a canopy, what is the best method to use to inspect the inside of the canopy? At DeWolf's course, we were taught to pull the cells inside-out and look at it like that, but that drove me nuts, I can't really understand what I'm looking at.

Recently I've tried just sticking my head inside and looking around, pulling the fabric towards me until I get to the tail, and also standing on a chair, and looking down at it, and while they both seem ok to check for any obvious damage, I can not really closely examine stitching or fabric weave that way.

How do you rigger folk inspect the inside, and how closely do you do it?

First thought... A guy in my class (DeWolf 1999) tried the old "stand on a chair" thing and nearly busted his head... Leaning over, into the cell while standing perched on a chair is not for everyone (anyone?).

I do two different things, depending on my experience with the canopy...

Reserve & never seen it before:
(WARNING: the following is for the super anal-retentive rigger that insists on verifying every seam (top and bottom) of a canopy they have never seen before... I never said this was quick... :P)
1. lay it bottom skin down and inspect all top skin/seams.
2. lay it top side down and inspect all bottom skin/seams.
3. Sit down with the canopy in my lap with one end cell open in front of me...
inspect the inside of the end panel to the tail,
(this effectively inverts the first half of cell #1)
inspect the first (non-load bearing) rib from the tail to the nose
(this returns the cell to normal)
continue down the other-side of the rib you just looked at until you are at the tail...
repeat until you are at the nose of the final end panel.

For main canopies, or reserves that I've already seen before (hard with small canopies):
inspect the outside similar to above
slip the first 1/2 cell over my head while standing inspecting both sides as I go
repeat for every other 1/2 cell
(as we've already verified the seams were constructed correctly above, this is more for fabric stress/damage and/or contamination.)

Obviously if you see anything strange, isolate it and get to where it is.

Sure wish I had a hanging system, but until then...

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...