riggergreg

Open letter to all riggers (Long Rant)

First off, Let me qualify myself. I am starting my 13th year as an FAA licensed rigger with over 3500 packjobs and over 180 documented saves. I've worked on rigs previously worked on from all over the world.

I've been thinking on this for quite awhile and while it may sound like a slam against riggers, it is more to raise awareness of some problems I have seen and my opinion of what it means to be a rigger.

Over the last few years, I've seen a lot of mistakes made by riggers, both in the field and by manufacturers. but more so in the last couple years. I don't know what the reason, Whether it's the testing is too easy for new riggers, riggers trying to do work they're not qualified to do, or just a careless attitude.

I'm not implying that most riggers are this way, but there are a few that, for whatever reason, have made mistakes bad enough for me to finally post this.

Some of the problems I've seen are as follows;

I have found tools such as pull up cords, packing paddles, temporary pins, velcro protectors, and packing weights inside reserve containers. I have found foreign oblects packed in the reserve canopy such as rocks, branches, old rubberbands, money, and one time, even a dead mouse. I have repaired canopies and lines, due to velcro damage from freebags and AAD pouches when the velcro was not properly mated. I have found assemblies with toggles not secured, brake lines not run through the slider, loose links, and continuity problems. Just recently I found a Reflex container and a Precision Dash-M reserve, that had been packed regularly, without the mandatory service bulletins being performed.

Sounds like a lot, doesn't it? There has been more, but you get the idea.

As riggers, we are trusted and required to keep our customers, both skydivers and pilots, as safe as possible, by properly assembling, packing, and maintaining the parachute systems they depend on. We can't do this if we don't take the time to double check ourselves on the work we (and others) do.

We should also be a large part of the education of our customers on the use, maintainance, and care of the equipment they use.

As skydiving has gotten more popular over the last few years, I've seen more and more jumpers know less and less about the gear they are using.

As riggers, We need to be more involved in the training process of new jumpers, and should continue the process even after the student continues on through their skydiving career. Give a seminar or a class to demonstrate just how everything works. Offer to let the customer watch you pack a reserve. Do a Q&A over a beer on Saturday night after jumping. Let them know if you have a problem with experience vs. canopy size. Be more proactive in the learning process. Some will pay attention, some will ignore you, but you just might make a difference.

Again, this is not meant to slam anyone. It is just my thoughts lately and I'm tired of talking to myself about it.

Rigging is much more complicated now than it was when I started about 30 years ago. Just an observation, not an excuse. I note that most of the errors you cite aren't issues of complexity of gear, but of attention to the same details that you would have expected 30 years ago.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I have never found anything in a rig so I don't have that perspective. I got my ticket 6 years ago and I have inspected (with the required repack) about 130 rigs. I have three documented saves (including myself)

In any event I agree very much with one of your sugestions. That being to help train new riggers so, I go back to where I learned and I volunteer every year to teach/help at that course. My experience is I have learned more by teaching than the year I went to the course.

One other thing some of us do is take a rig we packed to another rigger we know and let them open it up and inspect the pack job. Intimidating but it keeps one on your toes.

Thanks for your post. Got me thinking!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I'm about to take my rigger course (6 weeks) and I'm not super stressed, because I feel confident in my ability to be vigilant, but it's good to read things like this that remind us that this stuff can happen.

EFS
Sean LR
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

I agree with you to a point.

Riggers need to pay better attention to the fact that we are held responsiable for others lives and by following a check list of there tools this would not happen. That is the way I was trained I dont know about the others. But of course my training is through the US Army also.

Do we make mistakes? Yes as we are human and I am glad that there is another rigger to check over this stuff but this should not be.

Just follow the rules and do the right thing.
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

I take my rigging practical in 2 days after 50 some supervised packjobs, and frankly what you have written is an eyeopener. Granted, rigging is a learning process - but the lives of those we service and our reputation is on the line -
Recently, the FAA has included in the Senior rigger practical things that were only previously included in the Master's practical - talking to the DPRE in KC and over in Missouri, I disagree with the observation that...

Whether it's the testing is too easy for new riggers,

However, I agree that those who choose to study this art need to be aware of what it means to be a rigger -
=========Shaun ==========

Open response to riggers

Me:
Sr Rigger (USA) w/ back, seat & chest ratings
~450 AIRs
2 saves

I've found a few things that were scary as well.

What I do when I find issues:
Mfg - call and make sure I understand what I am seeing and whether or not I know the correct way to do it.
Prior rigger - either call them, call the mfg or loft they work for (if applicable) or call the local DPRE.

I don't (usually) want the other rigger burned, but do want them re-educated on what they did wrong.

What I ask in return:
If you ever find one of my packjobs questionable... call me. I'm human and can make mistakes, but I don't ever want to repeat one if I've made it...

What I do to avoid it myself:
Manuals/SBs/ADs - current and on-hand
Inspect/repack Check list - EVERY TIME
Tool inventory - EVERY TOOL, EVERY TIME
Mfg - they get a call anytime I'm not sure
Master Riggers/DPREs - get a call or visit when I'm not sure what I am looking at
PIA - what an opportunity!! I go (when I can afford) and talk directly with the Mfgs.

More than once, I have re-openned a rig that I've just finished because I was not SURE of something (though I've never found anything wrong... ok, say it... "OCD").

I think part of the problem might be that some folks see it as a job to be done and a few bucks in their pocket. Me, I try to remember that this is an emergency "last chance" for a real person, many of whom are my personal friends. I ask myself: If something happens with this rig, can I justify how it was packed, the attention I gave, and the conditions under which it was packed to: their wife/kids/mother, the lawyer/judge/jury, and myself... if not, it gets redone.

If you don't take it that seriously, stop rigging.

Just my $.02 (about what I make per hour of rigging work... ;) )

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

:)
Well said.

I can tell for long hours what I found in parachuting systems during the years & mostly during the past few years.

There are many good riggers around BUT there are also Very Low Quality riggers in the market that should not touch parachutes.

I got works done by Master Riggers like main canopie reline with errors & patching work that looked at a very low level.

If the rigging certification system will not change ASAP & rigging courses we get longer for about 3 - 4 weeks & you can get only ONE rating within the course the situation will be worse !!!

Rigging schools should be a part of an approved system that teach & educate rigges.

Rigging is NOT a hobby it is a FULL time job & the rigger must learn & study all time !!!

So easy to be a rigger, so HARD to be a GOOD rigger.

Safe Rigging !!!

Rigging is NOT a hobby it is a FULL time job

While rigging requires alot of dedication, I've always told myself I would never make it my full time job. It _IS_ my hobby and I enjoy doing what I can to keep my friends safe. Rigging as your primary source of income can create a situation where you cut corners to make financial ends meet. I will never allow that. Rigging stays my hobby so I can justify losing money every month doing it.

& the rigger must learn & study all time !!!

Agreed.

Abbie
Splatula Rigging, LLC
http://www.splatula.com
http://www.parachute-rigger.com
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

Rigging is NOT a hobby it is a FULL time job

Of All the riggers I know and I have worked with, to some of the best of them it IS a hobby - and maybe that is why they are so good at it.... A good friend (and DZO) once told me that if you are in this sport to make money, you won't be in it for very long. Personally, I rig because I enjoy it very much.
I too agree that a rigger must learn & study all the time - this is not an ordinary branch of our sport (if you will call it that..) If Rigging becomes a passion, then I have no doubt that the rigger in question will pursue all available courses to further his or her skills.
=========Shaun ==========

If Rigging becomes a passion, then I have no doubt that the rigger in question will pursue all available courses to further his or her skills.

I agree with this. The one thing that bothers me most about rigging is the lack of 'continuing ed' requirement ... and lack of continuing ed type options available. Doctors are required to have continuing education in order to maintain their licenses to practice why shouldn't riggers?

I'd love to have some form of regional continuing ed for riggers, but other than PIA I'm not aware of much in the area.

Greg, good post. Chad and I both learned so much from you, and probably the most important thing that rubbed off was your attitude toward rigging... 'stuff' can be learned from a lot of different resources, ethics can not.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

There are many good riggers around BUT there are also Very Low Quality riggers in the market that should not touch parachutes.

This brings up a question I've always had. How does the average jumper know the difference? Of course, there are some riggers whose reputations precede them but I don't always have access to them. At every dropzone I have been to, the locals swear by their resident rigger. Furthermore, I have a Racer which, for all the debate, is at the very least not common.

Hi...

I'm newly riggerfied, but from what I've seen, the rigger's attitude means a lot more than anything else. There are some brand new riggers I'd trust with my reserve just because they take time, they are anal, and they care, and some with 20+ years experience that rush through things and are less than neat.

Make sure whatever rigger you use will let you watch the repack and make at least some effort to work with you schedule wise to ensure that happens.

If the rigger complains about or charges more for a Racer repack, he's not the rigger for you. Racers are actually easier than most other rigs to close, and the only part that requires a little skill/experience is seating the pilot chute well.

Look at the loft... are the tools organized? Is it clean? Does the rigger leave 1/2 packed reserves lying around while he does other things then comes back to a rig that's been sitting unattended?

Spend a little time with the rigger just observing, whether it's sewing a patch or teaching a packing class. You'll get to know your rigger and you'll learn a few extra things too.

I once did a repack 6 weeks early just to get Greg (the poster of the original thread) to do the repack before he left our DZ for the season. I've never met a better teacher, more anal rigger, someone who truly cares about the quality of his work. He told me once that he packs every reserve like it is going to be used, though he hopes none ever are... I liked that. He was honestly my inspiration to get my riggers' ticket.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

This brings up a question I've always had. How does the average jumper know the difference? Of course, there are some riggers whose reputations precede them but I don't always have access to them. At every dropzone I have been to, the locals swear by their resident rigger. Furthermore, I have a Racer which, for all the debate, is at the very least not common.

Here's a thread I started a while ago asking that very question ... might also add some thoughts to the discussion.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2274960
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Rigging schools should be a part of an approved system that teach & educate rigges.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is another area in which you arrogant American capitalists could learn from the Canadian example.

In Canada, you need an extra rating: Rigger Instructor, before you can teach young riggers.

... the same way you learned how to do 4-way in the 1970s, 8-way in the 1980s, IAD in the 1990s and coaching in this century.
Hee!
Hee!
... love these chauvanistic digs!
Hee!
Hee!

Rob Warner
FAA Master Rigger
Canadian Rigger Instructor

Wow!
Standards have dropped dramatically since I left Southern California!
... or was it because I left Southern California ???

SoCal riggers used to an annoying bunch, of anal-retentive, fundamentalist, RELIGIOUS zealots who believed that that impressing the next rigger with the neatness of their internal folds was more important than godliness!