wildfan75

Don't Ever Buy a Dell

disagree...but I understand the feelings.
I've built waaaaay too many clones...and there is NO way anyone can afford a software package like you get from the major brands...not legally anyway.

branded systems of comparable hardware significantly out-perform clones.:P

I knew I shouldn't have gotten that bullseye tattoo on my ass!!!!

Intel Celeron D Processor 325 (2.53GHZ) and 256K cache
256MB DDR SDRAM at 400MHz
80GB 7200 RPM Ultra ATA Hard Drive
Windows XP
56K Modem
48X CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive
and a bunch of other graphics and shit
Nothing too special. Just want to be able to do internet/email, burn disc's, download and edit my digital pictures, etc. Nothing major, no gaming. The price for the Dell was $249. If anyone can sell me a computer with the same spec's, same price, you've got my business!

Ok...now I'm at about an hour, twenty minutes.

They are telling me that the computer is still going to be built and they are expiditing the order (putting it above others in the que).

Why the hell am I putting up with this???????

there is NO way anyone can afford a software package like you get from the major brands...not legally anyway.

Which brings to my mind a question... I still have the recovery disc from my lappie that drowned. Is it legal for me to use that OS on a different system since the one I got it with has gone on to better places?

I have been dealing with my Dell laptops (second so far), my wife's Dell laptop, and Dell hardware at work on pretty large scale. Nothing but positive experience with laptops, desktops and monitors -- very reliable, and excellent service if there is any problem. However, it's a totally different ballgame when it comes to Dell servers. Absolutely the worst reliability and customer service! Hours on hold, and they also send a courier with replacement parts instead of a qualified tech. I can keep ranting on and on...

I would buy Dell consumer product anytime, but God forbid to go anywhere near their server or NAS products!

OTOH, we've had to replace the same Dell notebook 4 times in a year, and we've had atrocious customer support from them. I wouldn't take a dell if you gave it to me.

But, as a Mac user, I've become accustomed to a much higher level of reliability and support than you get from PC manufacturers. I do still use a PC for gaming though, that's a fair assessment (mine's an alienware, but that's from before Dell bought them).
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

I build my own PCs, however laptops are an arena that I havent gotten into building. I need to go ahead and build a new PC for my house. I really want to build one with the dual-core processors. I think that the new motherboards you can get some serious speed.....Now, I need to go look at the Fry's electronics website.
The primary purpose of the Armed Forces is to prepare for and to prevail in combat should the need arise.

I'v been building my own computers since i'v had the money to. Back in the day it used to be kind of a pain in the ass but not now with windows xp pro and how easy it is to plug all your stuff in and go. Plus its cheaper if you build it yourself!!
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

there is NO way anyone can afford a software package like you get from the major brands...not legally anyway.

Which brings to my mind a question... I still have the recovery disc from my lappie that drowned. Is it legal for me to use that OS on a different system since the one I got it with has gone on to better places?

Yes, provided that it is only used on one system. If it's uninstalled on the notebook, you can use it on the other pc.

oh no you di-ent!

I couldn't disagree more....and I've been stuck with supporting damn near every variety of hardware made over the last 25 years.

Dell is a decent machine. Especially for the price. They also have extended warranties like every mahor manufacturer that covers everything including accidents.
Beats the shit outta clone pc's, Gatefuckingways, HP/Compaq since the buyout.
Unless talking laptops....the IBM/Lennova I think is the best windows laptop on the market, and given it is usually priced at just over twice the competition, it damn well should be.
The new MAC's are interesting, but as yet still difficult to manage in an enterprise. Windows still has the cheapest support costs for servers and desktops as well as the largest available software selections.

YMMV

Sorry, if a pc is not a HP it's a clone reguardles of brand name. Dells are clones

Gone fishing

I knew I shouldn't have gotten that bullseye tattoo on my ass!!!!

Intel Celeron D Processor 325 (2.53GHZ) and 256K cache
256MB DDR SDRAM at 400MHz
80GB 7200 RPM Ultra ATA Hard Drive
Windows XP
56K Modem
48X CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive
and a bunch of other graphics and shit
Nothing too special. Just want to be able to do internet/email, burn disc's, download and edit my digital pictures, etc. Nothing major, no gaming. The price for the Dell was $249. If anyone can sell me a computer with the same spec's, same price, you've got my business!

Ok...now I'm at about an hour, twenty minutes.

They are telling me that the computer is still going to be built and they are expiditing the order (putting it above others in the que).

Why the hell am I putting up with this???????

If you don't have any luck with dell, check out Tigerdirect.com. IIRC, they usually have a few decent machines for under 300$.

not quite accurate my friend...if we want to get legally technical...IBM owns the rights to "PC" so anything non-ibm is considered a "compatible"

HP and Dell are both using some of the same Asian manufacturers today. Come to think of it...that's what got Dell involved in court over copyright infringement with Cisco....

The answer is... it depends. Usually, those quick restore disks are for certain model lines, and won't recognize (or work) on other brands/model lines.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

disagree...but I understand the feelings.
I've built waaaaay too many clones...and there is NO way anyone can afford a software package like you get from the major brands...not legally anyway.

branded systems of comparable hardware significantly out-perform clones.:P

I don't necessarily agree - many times, the branded components are different than the "standard" equipment and HAVE to have the branded drivers to run properly.

As for the software issue - if you're buying the software each time you build a machine, yes, it's much more expensive.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Sorry, if a pc is not a HP it's a clone reguardles of brand name. Dells are clones

Wow, that's gotta be a troll. Nice try though. I suppose the only real "not-a-clone" is an IBM XT. I'll take a clone, thanks.
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

I would never buy anything but a Dell.

Unless you can't get Dell to sell/ship you one!

Hey wildfan, I've got a three week old 1505 inspiron in my hands, got it 3 days before dell said I would. I can ship it to you tomorrow if you want... of course you have to pay what I did and know that what you are getting is not what I ordered and paid for, like the extra ac charger and built in bluetooth. I will include the confirmation email I have that states what I ordered and paid for but it's up to you to straighten that out with them on the phone......... What do you think???

also note that IE is a p.o.s. at this time on this machine, maybe not dells fault but still having to close done a couple times a day because it "has encountered a problem" is just funny at this point.

Anyway let me know, I can ship next day air;););)

Nope! I spoke with a CSR supervisor on Thursday and he said that he had put my order to the front of the que for production and call me with daily updates. I have not received one single phone call or email from him or anyone at Dell. And apparently Dell isn't producing any computers at this point because if I was put at the front of the list and they haven't started making it yet, they must not be making any at all:P.

I'm to the point now where its kind of fun to log on every morning to see if it shipped. Like the lottery. I bought the ticket but I'm sure at this point my number will never be drawn.

The thing that bothers me though is that they have already charged my account. I don't have to make payments yet but the funds have been pulled out (which was another discussion with Dell). I'm pretty sure that if they hadn't pulled out the funds, I wouldn't ever cancel the order. It would be interesting to see if it did ever ship.

If it doesn't ship by this Friday, I'll have to cancel it. I can't wait any longer for a new computer (currently computer-less at home).

Update: New estimated ship date 1/18/07 (the fourth so far)[:/]

And the order has been cancelled, my Dell account has been closed. Over three weeks of BS has come to a close.

Recommendations anyone? (And don't even bother to respond with Dell. One--It's not funny. Really, it's not funny. Two--I wouldn't give my business to Dell if it was the last computer company on earth. I'd rather cope without dz.com than give one cent of my money to Dell).