MagicGuy

Wings Pilot Chute

I recently got a Wings container (used) and the pilot chute is something that neither of my riggers or myself have ever seen.

The handle is that of a pull out system, but the pin is on the bridle like it is with a normal collapsible pilot chute. There's a pretty large space between the handle itself and the pilot chute. That is, the material that connects the handle to the pilot chute is pretty long.

There's a BOC pouch, so that also eliminates the thought of it being a pull out.

Is this normal? My rigger said it looked like a Wings original but it is definitely unusual. Anyone ever seen anything like this?

It's being assembled right now so I can't take a picture. Belinda, want to upload a pic? ;)

There was a thread or two with pics about this here already...seems that the Wings freefly handle allows you to experience a floating pud mal without needing to switch to pull-out.:P
Different manufacturers take different approaches to pillow handles and I've seen them attached with a piece of binding tape on Atoms as well, but nothing as long as what Wings rigs seem to have.

but nothing as long as what Wings rigs seem to have.

They just recently changed their design to where that the handle isn't an inch from the top of the PC anymore. I don't know when the switch in design happened, I just know that the new PC/bridle I bought from them two months ago came with the handle connected directly to the PC.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm gonna see how it works for me on a few jumps and make the decision to keep it or change it.

Not everyone will like it, but I know I put about 1000 jumps on my Wings and I really love that FF handle. Its different, but its really secure (atleast it is on my rig) and has only dislodged once or twice.

Not everyone will like it, but I know I put about 1000 jumps on my Wings and I really love that FF handle. Its different, but its really secure (atleast it is on my rig) and has only dislodged once or twice.

And once or twice is acceptable?:P
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Is this normal? My rigger said it looked like a Wings original but it is definitely unusual. Anyone ever seen anything like this?

This IS normal. I jump the same setup on my Wings. The inch of length between the Pud and the PC apex is there because the handle is to be stuck under the right main flap fold, not in the BOC, and if the packjob is not neat or symmetrical, there might be an inch between the opening of the BOC and the flap that should not expose any PC fabric > an inch connector.

For pictures see the Wings Product Site, about half-way down the linked page are three pictures, the middle one shows the referred system.
Get the owners manual here.

I've put about 450 jumps on mine and never had a floating pud. Personally I prefer the tidyness of a PUD and the deployment sequence of a throwout - so I would take this setup again anytime. Came to love it.
No Pullout over Throwout discussion please.
HTH
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

And once or twice is acceptable?

Yeah, it really didn't bother me. It wasn't a true "floating pud" type malfunction and basically it turned into a slightly larger hackey handle at that point. So its uber-secure for over 99% of my jumps on my rig. That's better then some standard BOC setups I've seen used. Its a hell of a lot better then a belly mounted PC or a blast handle.:P

As others have said the system works fine. I really like my wings with this system. I would have to wonder about a rigger that has never seen this before (my wing like this is at least 4 years old.) Anyways if you decide you don't like it for some reason, give the factory a call. They have excellent customer service and I'm sure they will help you out.

Right on. I ordered my second container with the freefly handle. I never had any problems with it coming dislodged, I just preferred the hackey handle. I called Ankie at Wings, and a few days later had a new handle sent to me....for free. I have always had the BEST customer service from Wings.

over 1000 jumps on my Wings and never a problem

mostly I se things like this being put down to packing errors or lack of attention when packing

That doesn't make it valid. A lot of other manufacturers have handles just as secure if not more so and will still function and stay in place even when packed poorly or the bulk is not distributed well.

Cheers,
Travis

As others have said the system works fine. I really like my wings with this system. I would have to wonder about a rigger that has never seen this before (my wing like this is at least 4 years old.) Anyways if you decide you don't like it for some reason, give the factory a call. They have excellent customer service and I'm sure they will help you out.

Yup, the container is from 2001. Wings aren't very popular where I jump. I've only seen three of them at the DZ. One of them has a pilot chute with a plastic (orange) handle, the other two have hackies.

Its different, but its really secure (atleast it is on my rig) and has only dislodged once or twice.

Dave,

Like you said in a further down thread, it just becomes a floating hackey, but I still found it a bit unnerving on the second one where it had floated up and little high and my pinky happened to graze it so I knew where it was. Took it to my local rigger nd had him sew a _small_ piece of velcro to the FF handle and the opposing piece on the inside of the right closing flap. As with any velcro, just got to keep an eye on it, but it hasn't floated since.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.