bazelos

Would you pay $599 for a phone?!

Historically, Europe and Asia have been much quicker in the uptake of more advanced phones. So much so that Nokia barely sell their N-series phones in the USA. The US market is much more enamored of clunky Blackberry clones with full keyboards than the Europeans or Asians.

Additionally, the 3G infrastructure is better in Europe & Asia. EDGE gives you in or around 40kbps, whereas HSDPA will give you 1.8Mbps to 3.6Mbps. More than enough bandwidth to download new music from iTunes while you're on the train to work...

I'm not at all surprised that Apple launched in the USA first. That's where their brand is strongest and the market they understand best. They are, however, targeting a less-sophisticated market. And yes, they'll sell shitloads.

BTW, EDGE (Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution) is available all over the world - it's an extension of GSM. Think of it as 2.5G. Offhand I can't think of a GSM network that doesn't support EDGE. Many 3G providers, such as Three in Australia fall back to EDGE on GSM when out of UMTS coverage.

don't look at it like a $600 phone, look at it as a $350 phone with a $250 ipod built in.B| there's no word on who the carrier will be in canada, so i guess i have to wait anyway.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

...and a $250 Blackberry built in

Also it doesn't look like it's been design by a callaboration of Mr. Spock and Robocop like the other phones/pdas do.

The iPhone is undenieably beautiful and is very functional and the cost will give the phone an exclusive factor that will appeal to many people (the people with money).

It will be hugely successful.
One day, I'm gonna grow wings, a chemical reaction, hysterical and useless...

Sure. I use my phone to take pics and videos, send text messages and MMS. Through 3G and GPRS I can use it either as a modem to hook my laptop up to the net, or access the net directly. It's also an MP3 player, and best of all, it even makes telephone calls.

Of course, as others have said, it's free - on a contract from my SP.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Am I the only one that thinks the Apple TV is a lame offering?

40 gig HD - even the newer iPods have 80 gig, and they're about 1/5 as small.

No DVD player - I've only got one HD input on my 30" flatscreen, and it's currently occupied by my DVD player. If they want us to really use this, they need to stick an HD DVD player in the thing so we can use it as our DVD as well.

Syncs from iTunes - so Apple bends over for the RIAA and doesn't allow iPod to download back to a PC. That was just peachy when my VIAO HD failed and everything was stuck in limbo on my iPod mini. Now this thing pulls iTunes content wirelessly? Will Apple please just tell the RIAA to piss off and do something right for the consumer?

It's as if this thing was designed five years ago and released last week :S
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Thats an awful lot of jump tickets wasted - on second thought...that is a lot of beer wasted.:)
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!