StreetScooby

I'm pissed off at my boss...

Does he owe you money? If so, did you talk to him and set up a payment schedule and mutually agree to the terms? Maybe his wife is paying for his trip. I'd be very careful in how you phrase things. I'd suggest talking to him alone, away from work or a work-type enviroment and discuss it like adults. Don't raise your voice and try to stay away from phrases that if they were said to you, would put you on the defensive. If you need the money to pay off an important debt, for for an unexpected expense, I'd mention that to him.
"Dancing Argentine Tango is like doing calculus with your feet."
-9 toes

He's going to Cancun with his family for a winter break, but can't come up with some more money for me. How do I deal with this situation tactfully?

Send an anonymous tip to the DEA that he has a big deal going down in Cancun. That should make his vacation really interesting.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Is he the owner? If not, he just makes more money than you do-the advantage of being a boss. Him saving his money to vacation has nothing to do with the company money that your raise comes out of
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried

It is fairly obvious he does not own the company. In three years, my wife and I have taken two days off: 1) when our son was born; and 2) A Tuesday after a three day weekend (we spent an hour and a half total on the phone that day, too)

COnsidering that last year was the first time we made more than our employees every pay period was kinda nice. Two years when our employees would get paid when we occasionally would not. Vacation? We would love one.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

It's a shame, though.

I developed a S/W product that has now been merged into his business. The benefits I expected to see from the increase in his revenue haven't materialized for me. To leave now means walking away from many years of effort on my part. But, that does seem to be the path I'm on.
We are all engines of karma

It's a shame, though.

I developed a S/W product that has now been merged into his business. The benefits I expected to see from the increase in his revenue haven't materialized for me. To leave now means walking away from many years of effort on my part. But, that does seem to be the path I'm on.

Does your contract stipulate that you get bonuses based on what you come up with while you're employed by the company? Even with that in your contract, if you've signed an intellectual property waiver (pretty common these days) you're pretty much SOL.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Does your contract stipulate that you get bonuses based on what you come up with while you're employed by the company? Even with that in your contract, if you've signed an intellectual property waiver (pretty common these days) you're pretty much SOL.

I didn't give up IP. Likewise, he can't sell the company without giving me a cut (to be negotiated). If I leave, I expect he's going to lose this major client, and I'll end up with nothing but IP.

When I walk into this guy's office, and tell him I'm leaving, it's going to be far too late to give me a raise. And I really don't want to see that happen.

He's become a punching bag for me. I can't speak to him these days without busting his balls. I'm tired of it, and I'm sure he is too.

Not sure what all the details of your situation are, but having been raised in our families business I know that things aren't always as they seem. My dad and I were always the last to schedule our vacation time after all the employees put in for theirs. Some years I finished the year with unused vacation time which I could not carry over to the next year. I remember one year my dad bought a 1-year-old truck, my mom bought a 2-year-old car, and I bought a brand new GMC pickup for personal and business use. Damn if we didn't catch hell from the guys in the shop! All we heard was how we all got new vehicles and they didn't get any raises. They settled down once I pointed out that the pickup I had traded in was the newest of any that my parents and I had replaced, and it had over 250,000 miles on it.
Being a small business owner is not a very glamorous job. It is 24/7 and the stress can wreck your nerves. Wait until your boss gets back, then approach him about a raise. He will be in a much better state of mind,and easier to deal with.

I had my own consulting company for 8 years. 9/11 changed alot of things in NYC, one of which all S/W consulting stopped, then went to India when it came back. That's when I "merged" into this small shop. Since my boss landed this major new client (not entirely due to me, but I was a significant reason), there has been no sense of urgency on his part to improve my quality of life. It's going on 4 years now. Simple things like getting new releases into production just don't happen in a timely fashion. My boss is comfortable. I'm not.

Sounds like your business relationship hasn't turned out as well as you had hoped. I know how frustrationg (to say the least) that can be. Have you thought of going back into business for yourself? Since you kept your cunsulting business going for 8 years you know what the pitfalls are and how to avoid them, as well as having contacts now that you didn't have the first time you went solo. Give it a shot!

It is best to be straight and up front.

Tell him what you expected and why. In a nice way. Don’t wait until your temper takes over. Ask him if you can talk to him and tell him how you think you should be getting paid more. If you can’t come to an agreement then you know it is time to move on or lower you’re standard.

Moving on to newer things might be the solution. I worked my ass of for every boss I have had, but one appreciated it and showed that he appreciated it. All the other ones would give you the pat on the back but still took all that they could take.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain