markovwgti

Optik Illusion Helmet

I Just got off AFP and starting to do solo jumps...i need to buy a helmet and was wondering if the Optik Illusion is a good one to buy , i want a camera based helmet since i will be doing video when i get to the 200 jump minimum for flying with a camera.....so is this a good camera based helmet to buy??

A better choice might be to buy a simple Protec for now and worry about a camera helmet when you're ready to start flying a camera.

Even once you are flying a camera, there will be times when you'll want to jump without it. It's not simple to remove camera mounts from a helmet. Having a basic helmet for those times is a good thing.

Not to mention the fact that by the time you reach 200 jumps there will probably be two or three newer, neater helmets on the market...

I'm still wicked new in this sport.... but IMO 200 jumps is REALLY REALLY early to start flying camera.
From talking to experienced camera flyers at my DZ it isn't as simple as slapping a camera on your head. There is alot of added risk, and you should be q very proficient flyer before you go sticking a camera on your helmet. I reallywant to fly camera one day... but I don't plan on starting until I'm close or over 500 jumps.

A better choice might be to buy a simple Protec for now and worry about a camera helmet when you're ready to start flying a camera.

Even once you are flying a camera, there will be times when you'll want to jump without it. It's not simple to remove camera mounts from a helmet. Having a basic helmet for those times is a good thing.

Not to mention the fact that by the time you reach 200 jumps there will probably be two or three newer, neater helmets on the market...

thats what everyoe is telling me, im gona buy this helmet for now, but not slap a camera on it until i am allowed to jump with one, but all im asking if this is a good helmet to buy not minding the camera based part....

I'd go with the Pro-Tec now as well. They are excellent protection, and are very cheap - so you can spend your money on jumps and start saving for a camera helmet in 200-300 more jumps. (You can buy 15 jumps with the difference in price!)

I don't own one, nor have I ever jumped one . . . and I don't jump a camera any more. That being said, all of the camera flyers that I know who own one love it. I do own two helmets from Bonehead Composites, and their quality control and customer service is excellent. Linda Hardesty from Bonehead is "hottamaly" here in the forums.

You can add my name to the list of folks who recommend that you buy a cheap helmet like a ProTec for now and save your money for jump tickets and coaching. How big is your head?
Arrive Safely

John

One thing is for sure . . . if someone asks for an opinion here in these forums, they are going to get a ton of replies. They will also likely get more of a variety of opinions than they expected.

Another inevitability is that people will have differing opinions. It's how those differences are handled that is important.

At the end of the day, the person asking for opinions will have to sort through the stack of replies to find something useful. Moderators do their best to weed out advice that is illegal or just plain wreckless. Otherwise the opinions flow like Niagara Falls.

All opinions are welcome unless they do not fit the Forum Rules, or would obviously cause someone to break the law or unnecessarily put themselves in great danger.

PAs and/or hijacking a thread to lob personal beefs back and forth is not acceptable here.

skybytch and scratch69 - you two need to take your pissing contest to PMs. Lisa - a reminder that PMs are not acceptable . . . your one warning.
Arrive Safely

John

Apologies to the original poster as well as you greenies. I just get so emotional *sniff*.:)

So back to the topic : Mark, have a look at RAWA as well, they are a popular cam helmet also. But heed everyone's warnings here.............if you don't jump a Protec for at least 200 jumps, monkeys will fly outta your ass and your head will explode !!! :D:D j/k !! please don't delete me again :ph34r::ph34r:.

- - i was sent here to disturb the peace - -

I think the difference of 100 jumps to 200 jumps, isn't going to make you any better at dealing with a camera malfunction. You may fly better, but tossing your helmet off in the event of a line catching won't improve after even 500 jumps. If you're comfortable in the air after 70 jumps, why not fly with a camera? If you aren't trying to film a group or get that "money shot", I think it's ok. If you are filming and act as a real camera man, I think 200 jumps is a good recommendation.
All of this is opinion of course because who's to say what is or isn't better? Imagine if you told Jordan to wait 400 games before driving to the hoop. In short, not everyone is on the same level, so I don't think numbers should reflect that. Kind of like waiting 200 jumps to sitfly. I disagree on that one as well. I do respect peoples opinions though, but they are just that, opinions.

I think the difference of 100 jumps to 200 jumps, isn't going to make you any better at dealing with a camera malfunction. You may fly better, but tossing your helmet off in the event of a line catching won't improve after even 500 jumps. If you're comfortable in the air after 70 jumps, why not fly with a camera? If you aren't trying to film a group or get that "money shot", I think it's ok. If you are filming and act as a real camera man, I think 200 jumps is a good recommendation.
All of this is opinion of course because who's to say what is or isn't better? Imagine if you told Jordan to wait 400 games before driving to the hoop. In short, not everyone is on the same level, so I don't think numbers should reflect that. Kind of like waiting 200 jumps to sitfly. I disagree on that one as well. I do respect peoples opinions though, but they are just that, opinions.

thanks for your info:)

I'm actually picking up that helmet Saturday. I'm sure the DZ owner will laugh at me when I tell him I'm jumping with it after 100 jumps. I may wait to mount a picture camera on there though. That bit in my mouth would be a little distracting. I may forget to pull entirely.[:/]

I think that you may be missing the real issues with flying camera. I suggest throwing this thought out there on the camera forum and getting some quality responses there which may make the reason regulations / recommendations a bit more clear? :|

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

I put a camera on my head when I had a bit under 1000 jumps. I was never a "true" camera flier, I wore the camera for my amusement. However, I was shocked, absolutely shocked that even with the experience I had at the time that the camera would have been such a big deal. It is a big deal. It changes your emergancy procedures, it changes your gear up, it changes just about everything you are used to doing while skydiving.

If you feel that at 100 jumps its a wise choice, and the DZ you're at will let you, then good luck. I can't think of a DZ I've jumped at where 100 jumps plus a camera would be tollerated.

As for a camera helmet for a first helmet. Sure, whatever. They're more expensive and by the time you buy a camera and start jumping with it you'll probably want another helmet anyways. If you want to toss your money away on that then I know the helmet manufactures won't mind one bit.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Here's a couple DZs that don't seem to mind...

Deland (34 jumps)

Cal City (17 jumps)

Both seem to be cases of "it's ok because it's a tiny camera." Dangerous way of thinking.

Edit: I can see someone with a new A-license getting away with strapping on a camera for one jump at pretty much any DZ. But a student filming his own coach jump? That's ridiculous.

But I waited till I had 700 jumps so what do I know...

Dave

I would have to agree with Kynan. People should not just go off of how many jumps a person have. It should be more based on how they performed during those jump and an understanding of the additional risk involved. Now I am not saying that someone that did great in AFF should strap on a camera right away. I have been to a few DZ where they suggest starting to learn the basics at 100 jump.

Bonehead are great helmets. I have had two of theres and my budies love their optik. Another good one to look at are cookie composites...
#148 Sonic Scrat
"Have you ever kissed a rabbit between the eyes?" Woodpecker pulling out his pants pockets to the waitress

I would have to agree with Kynan. People should not just go off of how many jumps a person have. It should be more based on how they performed during those jump and an understanding of the additional risk involved.

I'm going to chime in here even though I don't have much experience because I think my lack of experience actually goes to the point I'd like to offer.

My overall flying skills didn't improve hugely between 100 and 400 jumps. Sure, I got better but not dramatically. I flew pretty well at 100 and I fly a little better now. What improved hugely was my overall awareness and attention to detail during a jump.

At 100 I was concentrating really hard on my performance. At 200 I was starting to notice a lot more of stuff going on around me. At 300 I was noticing small details and starting to anticipate things.

I think that basing a recommendation about whether or not it's safe to jump a camera helmet soley on how well you fly and how well you understand the additional risk is invalid unless you include the fact that adding the camera gives your brain one more thing to do during the skydive.

Having just started jumping with a camera, I've noticed that some of the awareness I've developed over the last couple of hundred jumps gets hijacked by the camera.

I didn't anticipate just how much of a distraction the camera can be. It seems simple enough... just put on the helmet then pretend it isn't there. But that's not the way it seems to work, at least not for me.
Owned by Remi #?

>I think the difference of 100 jumps to 200 jumps, isn't going
>to make you any better at dealing with a camera malfunction.

That's not the point. Jumping with a camera is like talking on a cellphone and driving. It takes your attention away from what you're doing. It's not impossible, but also not something you should be dealing with for your first few hundred jumps (IMO.) Heck, I've screwed up on bigways because I've taken a chestmount camera - and that should take even less attention than a helmet mount. The issue is that you know you have a camera and you're aiming it, and that's attention that you have taken away from other things (like keeping track of who's where on the skydive.)

Look at the 2k Composites helmets when you make the move.

The FFX and FF2 have a snag-free design that doesn't present much if any additional malfunction hazard. Having purchased the FFX I'd probably recommend the FF2 as a bit more convenient for reasons of access & fit.

There are helmets out there you could jump now and they're set up for adding D-Boxes etc. later. I think the pro-tec is a good stop-gap, just remember you may want to order your helmet ahead of time, they can take a couple of months for delivery in some cases.

There are several helmets & boxes where you have to specify your camera gear for sizing, so don't jump the gun on your camera equipment, make sure you're getting gear that will work together. It would suck to get a helmet now only to discover that it limits your camera choices later.

P.S. yup the Optik Illusion is an example of a helmet you could jump now and add your D-Box later when you were ready for a camera. Just remember that you'll need to purchase a box & attach it later and anything external to your helmet is a potential snag hazard that you should be confident in dealing with.