snowslider

3 grand to spend...

Ok so I have 3 grand to spend on a new rig. It will be my first one and I intend on buying from my DZO. He got some new stuff in recently that I have been jumping and really like. Wings container, Spectre 170 Main, and a PD 176 reserve. $3150 No add. The DOM on this gear is 2006 and the rig has under 50 jumps I belive. But here's my question for you guys, after talking breifly to the DZO about buying the rig he already has that fits good, he mentioned that he can get me a great price on a new custom fit wings container for the same price he would charge me for the used one only I would have to wait 8 weeks for it. I can't decied what to do, I'm the typical "i want what I want when I want it" type of person so I would love to just have it so I can travel around a bit and jump when money and wheather permits, but damn having a new container built to fit my body and with colors I want is a great offer.

What would you guys do? Wait, buy now, or somthing else. Is there other options that I should consider? Thanks for your input!

That's a good deal and some great gear. Have you considered purchasing it, then talking to your DZO about buying new gear of your own design - I "believe" most dealers will allow one to put down a deposit, then you could sell this gear for about the same price when the new gear comes? You may want to talk with your DZO/Instructor about the different flying characteristics between the two canopies.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Well once I get a rig, I'm going to celebrate in Florida at the Spacecenter at 18,000!!! I have jumped in almost a month and I'm going crazy...

But I think I will take your advice BigGun and talk to the DZO about but the rental rig that i've been jumping and then ordering a custom container and selling it back to him when it arives!!

The less I spend on the rig the more I can jump in Fl. I want to spend two days there are do about 5 jumps each day, that way I can stay in a bunkhouse for free and save money in that area of the trip!!

IF you only have two days in Fla, the weather can easily ruin your entire trip, and if the cost of the bunkhouse is a faxtor, look into a closer DZ.

Find the closest year-round DZ to where you live, maybe within driving range. This way you can seave the airfare, and if the weather looks bad when you want to go, you can postpone the trip for a week or a few days with no penalty.

About the rig, see if you can order a new container, buy the canopies from the existing rig, then rent the container for a small per-jump fee unitll your new one arrives. Buying the whole thing and banking on selling the container later might backfire on you. If it doesn't sell when you want it to, you're stuck, or you may end up lowing the price to get a sale, and taking a loss on the deal.

You should be able to rent the container from the DZO for a very reasonable fee, especially if you ordered a new one through him.

I agree with Dave on this one. Florida is a great place to jump but the weather can go sour really quick. It's been raining for a week now and will not stop until next week. [:/] So I would hate to see you come all that way and miss the chance to jump your new rig.
Breathe out so I can breathe you in...

coupla thoughts...
You'll need to complete your A before you can jump Spaceland (or most any other DZ) without spending extra...
Closest year-around to you is Mesquite, NV. You've GOT to have good accuracy, because if you miss the smallish landing area, all the out points are nasty sharp lava that will cut through the sides of most kinds of shoes, and will shred any jumpsuit, assuming you don't break anything on landing. hard to run out, too. I'd consider Perris or Eloy long before Florida. Cheaper, closer, and the manifest and S&TA teams at both Perris and Eloy know Brian, and if you don't have your A, can talk to him about your proficiency. No free bunkhouse at Perris, but Elsinore has a bunkhouse that's cheap. Plus it's driveable for you if you want to save $$. Only 12 hours from Sandy...

Maaan...thanks guys, this is why I love this site....a lot of good feedback....

I'll update anyone who cares on my situation. I am planning on buying a slightly older (03) but in great shape wings container for half the cost.... $600! And I'm working on buying a reserve that will fit for around 500, now I'll just buy the main that I love (spectre 170, white top and bottom with red center cells) from Brian and will have save about a grand!!

I have been talking to them about getting my A-stamp before I go, that shouldn't be a problem...but you are so right about going to Eloy or somewhere else closer instead. Thanks for the heads up on Cedar, I was hoping to make it there soon but I will try and knock out a bunch more jumps first. I really just want to jump from 18 over the ocean...sounds beautiful. I can handle a coule of extra days waiting weather and sightseeing but I would rather just jump my butt off.

Thank you guys for your insight, it is always much appricated!:)

Add Skydive San Diego to that list. We are open 7 days a week and have a bunk house, showers, Twin Otter and a Caravan....

....oh... and a super cool gear store. ;)

Just out of curiosity, are the canopies in that conatainer new? The price seems to be below dealer cost. Ask you DZO if you get a new container, will the canopies be as cheap? For that price, you can buy the system he/she is offering, put 100 - 200 jumps on it and sell it for virtually the same as you bought it for. Then your next set of gear can be custom. Just my opinion. Worth what you paid for it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

They are new as in DOM 2006...not sure how many jumps but they have but here's the brake down of what I was going to buy...

Wings Container-$1200
Spectre 170 $1250
PD 193 $800

In my first post I was dong the math for a different container, a sabere 2 210 for $800, also new. I know the DZO gets great deals and passes them along to his customers, I've done all 23 of my jumps at his DZ...

Anyway, I found a way to save even more money and still get the Main that I want which IMO is like engine in the car. Now I can jump more and travel!

my bad, spectre 210 $800 but your point would still remain, not sure but help yourself to the link and click on gear. I have jumped this main and it's very new and flies amazing. http://www.skydiveogden.com/

edit to add that it is new being dom 06, it has a some jumps on it though...your new and my new might not be the same that's why I had to clairify.

The ad leaves something desired. I have a hard time believing that the container, reserve and main all have Mfg dates of 8/06. Are you sure that 8/06 doesn't just apply to the reserve or container? If it does and there is nothing wrong with the main, then anyone here ought to buy the main and then resell it for several hundred profit.