pinkfairy

Operating system of choice?

Finally.

I suppose this has been discussed before, but as the "windows taskbar" thread went a little off topic on this, I'm posting this in it's separate poll.

It's OK to throw tomatoes or eggs at followers of heretic operating systems, but nothing too solid. People can get hurt.

Oh, and peace and love, everyone :)
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Ubuntu

It takes a little work under the hood but well worth it. Very stable and secure. Free software, need I say more? There are programs to do just about anything even run your Ipod and a pretty cool word processor. I have a linux guy from the dropzone helping me out some, which helps a lot. I don't have to run an anti-virus program and I don't have the glitches and locked up screens that you get with windows. Mind you my windows didn't hang up very often but it was very frustrating when it did.

Plus who needs windows vista when you can trick out your ubuntu to do some very cool stuff.

Multiple work spaces are very handy also.

Matt Davies

I like NixOS best, which is an OS I made myself. At least if you have a slack definition of what an OS is. I mostly USE windows though, out of lazyness. When vista is mainstream, I'll go linux. Or maybe even sooner. I'm not spending any money on the computer upgrade that would be needed for vista. You get quite a few jumps for the price of a computer! ;)

PCLinuxOS

For all the same reasons as the Ubuntu post, plus this version of Linux just seems to work really well without a lot of the messing around that other and/or older versions needed. A nice touch is that it downloads as a live CD (for free), so you can try it out without having to install anything. I do keep a dual boot with XP for the odd times I need it, but that's less and less these days.

i have several computers so i use several operating systems but almost all of them are some incarnation of unix. my primary desktop machine currently runs freebsd.

Alphons

P.s. posting here from a cellular phone sucks!
And five hundred entirely naked women dropped out of the sky on parachutes.
-- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Since i don't know much of anything else, i do windows. Seems to work just peachy for me.

And sammiches Now go make me one woman!:D:D:D
<<< Cracks whip!
Oh, uh MAC! and AMD processors!
*My Inner Child is A Fucking Prick Too!
*Everyones entitled to be stupid but you are abusing the priviledge
*Well I'd love to stay & chat, But youre a total Bitch! {Stewie}

And sammiches Now go make me one woman!

K, but you gotta come over to get it.

Yea, Im on my way over yea!:D:D Happy Ending??;):P
*My Inner Child is A Fucking Prick Too!
*Everyones entitled to be stupid but you are abusing the priviledge
*Well I'd love to stay & chat, But youre a total Bitch! {Stewie}