NWFlyer

Getting Ink Off a Compact Disc

I figure nothing I can do to clean this thing is going to make the situation any worse ... it's already unplayable.

I had a two-CD set that I stored with both CDs in the same vinyl pocket of a CD wallet. Been in there for years, I'm sure. Anyway, the ink from the label of one has stuck to the playing surface of the other ...

I tried water and a cloth ... not really getting anywhere. I can sort of scratch at the ink with my fingernail and it'll come off, but I'm afraid scratching it all off won't work or I'll just replace ink with scratches. Anyone have any other ideas?

Alternatively, anyone want to send me Disc 2 of Hank Williams 40 Greatest Hits?:D:D:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Who is Hank Williams?

You can try some rubbing alcohol, It shouldn't harm the polycarbonate.

Otherwise, you can use sandpaper, 60 grit will probably be far to course. I've used 400 grit wet sandpaper in the past.

If you use sandpaper, you have to make sure you rub the CD along a line going from the center of the cd going directly to the outside edge of the cd only. Rubbing in a circle or other angles is more likley to give you scratches that will cause reflections of the laser reading the disc.

There are $20-$30 devices that can sand down the cd for you, such as this one:
http://www.heartlandamerica.com/browse/item.asp?PIN=26494&DL=GAW1&

They sometimes work.

Or there are professional disc resurfacers out there, they work much better than these do it at home devices. You may be able to find the use of one at your local music store. Expect to pay less than $3/disc to have the thing resurfaced professionally.

Good luck

I don't have that disk set, so when someone sends it to you, feel free to share the love and send it on down my way:)
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Who is Hank Williams?

Hooooo, boy, we need to edjumacate you on musical history, young man. :D

Thanks for the advice - I'll give some alcohol a try.

I am SO close to finally digitizing all of my music so I don't have to worry about this any more, but I got stuck on this, one of the last ones to rip.

Edit to add: it worked ... cleaned enough of the ink off with an alcohol wipe that I was able to rip the CD successfully. As soon as I get through Neil Young and Warren Zevon ... I'm done!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Is it permanent marker ink? If so, try writing over the ink with a dry erase marker; then use a soft, dry, non-abrasive cloth to wipe off all of the ink at once. It may not work on a CD, but it works on dry erase boards.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

No, as I said in my original post, the ink had transferred from the label of another CD that the CD in question was stored against. But, no worries, me and Hank are all good now, and 20.4 GB later, my entire CD collection has been digitized.

Whew... almost 700 CDs....

Soak for approx. 1-2hrs. in warm (not hot), sudsy water that has either, dawn-grease fighting type dish soap or hair shampoo for regular to oily type hair! ;)
*My Inner Child is A Fucking Prick Too!
*Everyones entitled to be stupid but you are abusing the priviledge
*Well I'd love to stay & chat, But youre a total Bitch! {Stewie}