cocheese

r/c pilots only

Agreed. If you want an electric CP heli, buy an T-rex. They are much, much more durable. If you still do want a Blade CP (or CP pro), then you better get yourself a simulator and fly it until it's routine. The frames on Blade CP's are tremendously flimsy, as are the stock blades (buy plasti's) and the main shaft. I promise you I have over $600 tied up in my "$240" helicopter. My local hobby shop loves me.

Uh?

I haven't broken anything on my Blade CP Pro (yet). Been flying it since June.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I haven't broken anything on my Blade CP Pro (yet). Been flying it since June.

You are a very accomplished pilot. You probably have not broken anything on any heli since June.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

You are going to get alot of advice here.

One piece of advice I would give is to NOT buy anything from anywhere other than a Local Hobby Shop for a while. There are many good deals to be found on online hobby shops, but a heli is a very maintenance heavy thing and you will need your LHS quite a bit. In fact my LHS is brining me a part to the field tomorrow.

Having said that the bigger the heli the easier they are to fly. 50 sized helis are a great mix of low cost and high power. Two popular types are Raptors and Sceadu Evo's. Both are cheap to fix and fly great. I would avoid JR heli's since they are expensive to fix.

If you are looking to get into heli's, visit the local hobby shops and see which one has the most heli stuff. Ask about a flying club and then ask them what hobby shop to use. Buy the same model as there are parts on the wall. You will need parts.

As for me...Well I am now working on Kaos's and flipping and rolling auto's....Way fun, did two flights today.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Thought you folks might like to see my winter project - finally finished it this morning. It's all scratch built to my own design. Needs a bit of tuning, it rolls too much and has a slight directional instability.

Note - this IS January in Chicago!

Extensive use of graphite, kevlar, and zero-P fabric.

Just now found this thread. The main jump airplane at my home DZ is a DHC-2 Beaver, so I decided to build a R/C Beaver, and make it drop jumpers.

http://studentweb.eku.edu/jacob_Cecil18/remotejump.wmv

The first takeoff was a little rough, but any crosswind is going to make the takeoff in a 12 oz plane with no ailerons interesting :-D

Just now found this thread. The main jump airplane at my home DZ is a DHC-2 Beaver, so I decided to build a R/C Beaver, and make it drop jumpers.

The first takeoff was a little rough, but any crosswind is going to make the takeoff in a 12 oz plane with no ailerons interesting :-D

Coolo man! B| Nice flying, too.:)

How did you engineer the release mechanics?

How did you engineer the release mechanics?

I'll take pictures when I get home, but I basically poked 2 small holes in the side of the fuselage, ran a rubber band out one, then a piece of wire attached to a servo out the other. I hit the 2 position switch on my remote, and the piece or wire either extends outside the fuselage to trap the rubber band, or retracts into the fuselage to release it. When the rubber band is held, the parachutist is held tightly to the side of the Beaver, but as soon as I hit the switch he falls away. Kind of difficult to describe, like I said I'll take pictures when I get home to better illustrate how it works.

What was really cool was when I attached one of those tiny parachutes to a small wireless camera and dropped it. I only tried it one day, and had all the lines attached at one point, which meant the camera spun like a son of a bitch (line twists) the whole way down, but the video still looks neat. It was interesting flying that though because the camera and battery weighed about 3 ounces, made the plane a heavy bastard to fly :-D

Found the camera dropping video. Like I said it usually spun like crazy. The last actual drop (next to last flight), the parachute malfunctioned and never inflated. The last flight the battery to the plane died right after takeoff, resulting in a less than stellar looking return to earth. That's the great thing about a styrofoam airplane, I can just tape it back together :-D

http://studentweb.eku.edu/jacob_Cecil18/cameradrop.wmv

Any of you r/c pilots know where to find the clip on RF dampening beads.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)