cocheese

r/c pilots only

Now if I only had the balls to fly it

While I don't share Chuckies...."Firewall it and go" approach.

Take it easy and you will be fine. Its a trainer, and you have some experience. It would be a good idea to find someone to help with the first flight and set up.

But if not,make sure the trims are correct and the fligth controls are int he correct direction and don't be afraid.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I was dicking around on google yesterday and happened upon a ton of RC forums. One in particular, RC Universe

Been a member of that site for a while. I am a "Contributing Editor"....Which does not really mean much.

Here is an article I wrote about my favorite Biplane:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_guide/kitexpertreview.cfm?editorial_id=256&kit_id=85
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

That's the great thing about my Challenger: a plethora of relatively inexpensive wings close at hand.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Kevin Orkin says they are really light, but I can't say HOW light. A fix would be to replace the heavy, stock NiMh battery with a small LiPo to save weight and make up extra space and load capacity for the camera.

Chuck

Yes LiPos are a must! I forget I fly them because i have never used the Nimh that came with it.. went straight to the different motor, the better blades and the bigger battery.

I'll take pics today of the setup I have going.

Wait, I can't run the LiPo with the stock motor and blades on a Blade CP? The batteries are interchangable in my Stryker and P-51.

On that note, I got tired of my Stryker sitting there in the box, brand new, so I bought a "real" radio, speed controller, receiver, and servos from Joey D'Annunzio. The radio is a Hitec Laser 4; fine for what I am going to use it for. I already had two spare engines.

Chuck

Wait, I can't run the LiPo with the stock motor and blades on a Blade CP?

Yes you can...I did and still do when I fly mine.

The thing is if you put the semi-symetrical blades on it, you need to change the gear on the motor since the semi blades need more RPM. That means that you need more power as well. If you are flying the flat blade (and I see very little reason not to just fly the flats) then you will be fine with just the Lipolys.

I have to ask, because I can: what is that camera relaying back to when you fly it? A laptop? Some other receiver? I'm really interested in this set up for my Challenger, once I'm able to fly the same wing for more than a week. I want to make sure that I have all my ducks in a row when I start making changes to my plane.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

I have to ask, because I can: what is that camera relaying back to when you fly it? A laptop? Some other receiver? I'm really interested in this set up for my Challenger, once I'm able to fly the same wing for more than a week. I want to make sure that I have all my ducks in a row when I start making changes to my plane.

THe camera send back wirelessly to a receiver which has an RCA out on it. I plug that into my PC5 skydiving camera and do a record control and record to minidv. The receiver is being run off an inverter in my car, the camera off batteries.

Wait, I can't run the LiPo with the stock motor and blades on a Blade CP?

Yes you can...I did and still do when I fly mine.

The thing is if you put the semi-symetrical blades on it, you need to change the gear on the motor since the semi blades need more RPM. That means that you need more power as well. If you are flying the flat blade (and I see very little reason not to just fly the flats) then you will be fine with just the Lipolys.

Sorry chuck I had a brain fart.. as was stated above, it is when you move to symmetrical blades (which knowing you will only take a few days now that you have your heli) you'll need to change motors. Sorry for the temporary failure of a synapse fire.

Okay chuck, here are my photos of my cam setup. The velcro you see on the inside is for the 9V battery. I think it is possible to tap your LiPo for the power to the cam I just haven't gone that route. It would save considerable weight.

BTW, I used a soldering iron to cut the holes for the camera... using scissors probably would not work well since the body is actually two pieces (3 really) put together via some gluing process...

Actually, you could have probably done a cleaner job with a dremel.

I spilled the beans to Kevin already, but I got a Blade CP (plus crash kit, LiPo, aerobatic kit, and tip-over trainer. I suck so bad. I cannot hover to save my ass. Hey, I didn't crash the thing yet though!

I didn't have a dremel so I made it work :) Your milage may vary.

Have you done any adjusting with the two settings on the 4-in-1? I found when I was learning that one of them was causing the heli to turn to the right on its own. (Make sure on the remote everything is trimmed to center)

Congrats on not crashing yet :)

I found when I was learning that one of them was causing the heli to turn to the right on its own. (Make sure on the remote everything is trimmed to center)

Due to the fact that the tail is run from a seperate motor not a belt or shaft, the trim for the anti torque pedals (the one on the bottom left) starts on one side and moves to the other as the battery runs down. So don't center that one.

Also, Chuck....The Acro kit is not a good idea for quite some time. The semi blades require the lower teeth gear.

I found when I was learning that one of them was causing the heli to turn to the right on its own. (Make sure on the remote everything is trimmed to center)

Due to the fact that the tail is run from a seperate motor not a belt or shaft, the trim for the anti torque pedals (the one on the bottom left) starts on one side and moves to the other as the battery runs down. So don't center that one.

This is a true statement, but don't you still start with it centered on the remote and then as the battery drains adjust it to the left or right or whatever while it is flying?

I apologize if i'm giving bad advice - I just taught myself how to fly the thing..

Also, Chuck....The Acro kit is not a good idea for quite some time. The semi blades require the lower teeth gear.

I tend to just fly the tail and ignore the rudder trim these days.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

This is a true statement, but don't you still start with it centered on the remote and then as the battery drains adjust it to the left or right or whatever while it is flying?

I found on mine that it always started one way and drifted to the other as the battery wore down.

I apologize if i'm giving bad advice - I just taught myself how to fly the thing..

I don't know if it is the same for all Blades...just mine. So you may be correct. With the trim centered. does it stay straight on yours?

I tend to just fly the tail and ignore the rudder trim these days.

You are also easily twice the heli pilot as me, and I while I could fly the tail, these cheap helis' don't have heading hold like a 401.

I found it easier to learn if I had the thing trimmed to start. And then mad eminor trip adjustments as the battery wore down.

Now I could fly it just using the tail...But its still easier to use the trim.