iluvtofly

Can someone please explain this to me?

Ok...I'm participating in the bell-off. The first month and a half was going great. I was consistently losing a couple pounds a week. Then for about 3 or 4 weeks I was stuck and couldn't lose any more weight for some reason desipite eating better and going to the gym pretty much everyday. Then today I went to the gym for the first time in a little over a week and fount out that I lost about 4 pounds. How the hell does that make sense? :S:S:S:S

We have certain benchmarks that the body retains weight until you push past it. You pushed past a plateau on the downside and should see continued weight loss until you hit the next one.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

We have certain benchmarks that the body retains weight until you push past it. You pushed past a plateau on the downside and should see continued weight loss until you hit the next one.

I agree, and don't get dicouraged because of these, just keep on plugging away and eat healthy!
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

I've experienced the same thing recently. I dropped 25 lbs almost over night then nothing for three weeks. I decided to take a one week break from the diet but did not go crazy by eating a bunch of crap. I also continued my work out schedule. After that week was over, I restarted the diet and dropped 15 lbs more in a very shot period of time.
I think the statement about hitting a plateau is spot on but I also think that you need to throw your body a curve ball every once in a while. Try changing your work out routine a little and or maybe for a short while, try adding a little more carbs to the diet So far it has worked for me.
Good luck.
K

I worked out twice daily, an hour each time, and ate 'reasonably' for 3 months straight and only lost 4 pounds.

I ate nothing but natural foods for 45 days straight -no real exercise at all- and lost 6 pounds. (I went back up between these two).

I was eating healthy and running 3-4 times per week and I gained a pound.

:|

Be thankful you're going down! That's a good thing, no matter how quirky it is! :P
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

2 things are at play here, one is as mention you body does reach a plateau that you need to get past (changing the exersice routine can ioften do this)

the other thing at play is that as you train and get fitter you tone your muscles and even enargle them to some degree, now here's the important part
MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN ADIPOSE TISSUE (FAT)
so it is VERY common for people to levelout or even put on weight soon after they start training.

instead of just looking at what weight loss you have, have someone work our body fat composistion (NOT BMI) and check that fornightly, also take weekly measurements instead of weekly weigh ins:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Sorry, Squeak. Ounce for ounce or pound for pound - both muscle and adipose tissue (fat) weigh the same. The difference is in the amount of space that is taken up by the different types of tissues.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Sorry, Squeak. Ounce for ounce or pound for pound - both muscle and adipose tissue (fat) weigh the same. The difference is in the amount of space that is taken up by the different types of tissues.

ok then Muscle is more dense that adipose tissue therfore the same volume weighs more.BETTER:P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Ok...I'm participating in the bell-off. The first month and a half was going great. I was consistently losing a couple pounds a week. Then for about 3 or 4 weeks I was stuck and couldn't lose any more weight for some reason desipite eating better and going to the gym pretty much everyday. Then today I went to the gym for the first time in a little over a week and fount out that I lost about 4 pounds. How the hell does that make sense? :S:S:S:S

Might be the workout with your room mate last night.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

ok then Muscle is more dense that adipose tissue therfore the same volume weighs more.BETTER:P

Yep...better. :P

**grumble** Damn physics class making me specific about terminology. **grumble** :D
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Ounce for ounce or pound for pound - both muscle and adipose tissue (fat) weigh the same.

:)
What are you saying here? an ounce for an ounce weighs the same? Of course it does. :$

But lay one cubic metre of fat and one cubic metre of muscle out on a table and the muscle will be heavier. Therefore muscle is heavier than fat
With love in Christ

Ounce for ounce or pound for pound - both muscle and adipose tissue (fat) weigh the same.

:)
What are you saying here? an ounce for an ounce weighs the same? Of course it does. :$

But lay one cubic metre of fat and one cubic metre of muscle out on a table and the muscle will be heavier. Therefore muscle is heavier than fat

let's not bogg this down with symantics that have already been explained. Muscle is more dense than fat, therfore people often put on weight when they start training, NUFF SAID
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

let's not bogg this down with symantics semantics that have already been explained.

Sorry... but that just cracked me up so much, I couldn't let it go... :D
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

let's not bogg this down with symantics semantics that have already been explained.

Sorry... but that just cracked me up so much, I couldn't let it go... :D

I mean it as Sy:ph34r:as in little viral posts
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

You should be having more sex.
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.