Pet food recall

From the link...

"The company said it manufacturers for 17 of the top 20 North American retailers. It is also a contract manufacturer for the top branded pet food companies. Its three U.S. and one Canadian factory produce more than 1 billion containers of wet pet food a year. "

Which means it's not just Walmart and Kroger brands, but could be other, "known" brands, too.

So...

My cats will get some chicken tomorrow night...I'll share my rotisserie with them until I know more about lot #, brand names, and so forth. I'd rather be prudent about things than end up with one of my fuzzbutts ill or worse.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Good. Just in case. Remember the problem with my Bengal Nitro? When I saw the recall on the news, I kinda freaked. All is OK though, because the only wet food my cats get is ~2 tsp of tuna per day.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Yeah, I wondered about that; and then I remembered that you spoiled her rotten. She still craving the syringe water? LOL, silly girl...

But I use regular canned food - and I'm a bit more worried than not, you know? So we'll switch for a few days until things get identified and sorted out.

I'm waiting for the list of brand names...that way, I can see who's the same, and who's not...as well as check out if my cabinets need to be cleaned. If you hear anything, lemme know, all right?

Ciels-
Michele

Yeah, I'll let you know if anything else is reported.

The whole idea of commercial cat food is kind of scary. Cats are killers and eaters of raw meat by design. Commercial cat food (dry and wet) often contains non meat based protein sources, which is maybe no big deal, but cats do seem to have problems with renal failure.

What bugs me is the possibility that cat food may contain cerebrospinal materials and/or parts of diseased animals that are deemed not fit for humans.

jim

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I'm waiting for the list of brand names...that way, I can see who's the same, and who's not...as well as check out if my cabinets need to be cleaned. If you hear anything, lemme know, all right?

Ciels-
Michele

Information is listed here; link to dog foods is on upper left hand portion of the screen.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

Commercial cat food (dry and wet) often contains non meat based protein sources, which is maybe no big deal, but cats do seem to have problems with renal failure.

In all the cats I've had over the years, none of them have had renal failure. I've used cheap food, expensive food - all kinds of food. When they've died, it's because of age (one at 22), or because of cancer, or because they've already had an inherent disease (they're all non-rehomable cats, the ones who live with me...).

And our cat food is NOT on the list. :)
Ciels-
Michele

Nutro is on the list. :S

Son of a Bitch B| Though if I understand this right, it is the wet food that has the problem not the dry....
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

you must be kidding...brb checking if large breed is on there.....

Recall Information 1-866-895-2708
Americas Choice, Preferred Pets
Authority
Best Choice
Companion
Compliments
Demoulas Market Basket
Fine Feline Cat, Shep Dog
Food Lion
Foodtown
Giant Companion
Good n Meaty
Hannaford
Hill Country Fare
Hy-Vee
Key Food
Laura Lynn
Li'l Red
Loving Meals
Main Choice
Nutriplan
Nutro Max Gourmet Classics
Nutro Natural Choice
Paws
Presidents Choice
Price Chopper
Priority
Save-A-Lot
Schnucks
Sophistacat
Special Kitty
Springfield Pride
Sprout
Total Pet, My True Friend
Wegmans
Western Family
White Rose
Winn Dixie

My cats eat dry prescription food (Royal Canin) since the oldest has "challenged" kidneys, however my mom (who shares my house) gives them a little canned food as a treat every night. I think she mostly gives them Friskies but now I'm going to have to raid her stash and tell her to cease and desist until this gets sorted out! The last thing my 17 year old kidney challenged cat needs is food that will CAUSE kidney failure! Guess I'll need to get to the vet's this morning, buy some "approved" treats and lay down the law with Grandma!

Canned food is what is affected, not dry. I don't feed them Iams canned, so I'm feeling better. I use Friskies canned, and that is NOT on the list.

Anyone see anything I missed? It's getting close to dinner time for them...

Ciels-
Michele