psychoswooper

Will some a** swoop through traffic on the ash dive?

After hearing about some jumpers at Dublin doing swoops through the landing area traffic on the very day after the accident, I just started thinking, would anybody actually be asinine enough to do this in Deland today? I sure hope not.
But if so, what would/should the consequences be?
Do you think they'd get "beat up?"

Screw that...do it during the swoop! If they are inconsiderate enough to do something like that...they they deserve to crash and burn.
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

After hearing about some jumpers at Dublin doing swoops through the landing area traffic on the very day after the accident, I just started thinking, would anybody actually be asinine enough to do this in Deland today? I sure hope not.

Jumping was shutdown the rest of the day after the accident, so no, that didn't happen.

I did see some hard swoops the next day, but not through traffic. I personally thought that doing swoops was *very* disrespectful. I will say, though, that I saw *zero* swoops through traffic on Sunday. By and large, what I saw was people doing an outstanding job of flying a pattern for landing.

IMO, if someone swoops through landing traffic today or any other day we, as a community, need to not tolerate it.

Walt

Jumping was shutdown the rest of the day after the accident, so no, that didn't happen.

I did see some hard swoops the next day, but not through traffic. I personally thought that doing swoops was *very* disrespectful. I will say, though, that I saw *zero* swoops through traffic on Sunday. By and large, what I saw was people doing an outstanding job of flying a pattern for landing.

I agree. The jumpers that I was with who do swoop were doing box patterns on Sunday... very few were swooping, those that were were away from everyone else.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I meant the next day, Very day AFTER the accident. I should have worded it better. I know that jumping shut down the day OF. I know at our DZ, even the hard core swoopers flew traditional patterns out of respect.
I'm glad to hear that what I heard was wrong & that Sundays swooping was NOT through traffic. Maybe the increased level of awareness because of this high profile accident will keep us all safer in the future. And maybe the peer pressure of that "just not being cool anymore" & people catching hell & having real consequences when/if they do it will bring it to an end.

I meant the next day, Very day AFTER the accident. I should have worded it better. I know that jumping shut down the day OF. I know at our DZ, even the hard core swoopers flew traditional patterns out of respect.
I'm glad to hear that what I heard was wrong & that Sundays swooping was NOT through traffic. Maybe the increased level of awareness because of this high profile accident will keep us all safer in the future. And maybe the peer pressure of that "just not being cool anymore" & people catching hell & having real consequences when/if they do it will bring it to an end.

There was some swooping in the primary landing area Sunday, and some other poor practices (180 degree sashays in the pattern, deep brakes with sashays in the pattern, etc...it's not just hooks that are outside of a "normal" pattern).

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

There was some swooping in the primary landing area Sunday, and some other poor practices (180 degree sashays in the pattern, deep brakes with sashays in the pattern, etc...it's not just hooks that are outside of a "normal" pattern).

Blues,
Dave

Guilty on the sashays, but there had been only one load in the air (KingAir) and there was only one other canopy in the air and it was a *long* way from me. I was shooting accuracy to land close to the accident site so I could walk over and pay my respects to our fallen brothers, which I did.

Absolutely no disrespect intended.

Walt

Blues,
Dave

Guilty on the sashays, but there had been only one load in the air (KingAir) and there was only one other canopy in the air and it was a *long* way from me. I was shooting accuracy to land close to the accident site so I could walk over and pay my respects to our fallen brothers, which I did.

Absolutely no disrespect intended.

Walt

No offense Walt, but erratic canopy flight, weather or not is for a respctful reason, is still erratic canopy flight. I'll not continue to beat that horse.

And I'll be one of the first that say, I busted a fat 270 on the first load on sunday. BUT, I did it a significant distace away from the not only the "main" landing area, but also a long way down the HP area. It had absolutely nothing to do with respect. I did my landing out of moving on. I followed the rules set forth, I gave my fellow jumpers more than enough room so that we all could land safely, and I had a long walk back to say my goodbyes on the day after.
And if others think I was disrespectful by going out of my way to ensure the safe landing of myself and all others in the sky, by making a high performance maneuver that has taken me over 800 jumps, and nearly 6 years to TRY to learn. Then so be it. Out of all the friends I have met, and lost, not one of them would ask me to not do 'X' because 'X' happend to them, UNLESS it was a danger to myself and/or those in the air with me. If anything thats excactly what we should do, IF and can be done in a RESPONSIBLE, and SAFE manner.
Thats why we drink the drink of our fallen friend's choice. Thats why I was belling flying on Sunday. Thats why we tell stories, and laugh and cry. Thats why those wonderful people who had the chance to be in Deland today will be paying their respects by jumping safely, as planned, and as prescribed by any and all rules set down.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

swoopers and swoopettes should just go first... let us big fluffy canopy flyers down safly. ive been personally cut off by the video guy, hes probably 45 and very into himself.

i said sorry to him thinking it was my fault, and he responded "no i meant to do that"