matc

Cleaning a harness

Hello, I purchased my 1st rig yesterday and it's a bit dirty so I'd like to clean it. I've read on this site that a good way to do this is to remove the reserve and the main and dump the harness a bath and add some woolite. Do I have to remove the metal housings (the metal tubes where the cutaway and reserve cables go into) before cleaning the rig ? Thanks a lot !

Removing metal housings is difficult or impossible on most rigs.
Since they are made of stainless steel, there is little risk of them rusting/corroding.
There is a greater risk of cadmium or nickel-plated hardware rusting where the coating has worn off. Just wipe hardware dry with a towel before hanging to dry.

When washing rigs, remember to get a nail brush with stiff nylon bristles and vigourously scrub everything except for Spandex and embroidery - at least three times.
Then rinse repeatedly until you can no longer taste soap in the rinse water.
Oh! And keep the water temperature somewhere between cold and lukewarm.

To add to what Rob said - All-Temperature Cheer is also safe and works a bit better on ground in dirt. A rig is a bit tougher than an Angora sweater so you really don't need the gentleness of Woolite. Besides, you do want to get all that icky sweat out of the back pad that belonged to that other person.

A couple of other things for the record.

Remove the cutaway handle. Some cutaway puds are made with the wrong foam and they absorb water. You can wash the outside of the handle if it's soiled.

Open all the tabs and Velcro (if any) and don't get carried away with the brush. Usually just dunking, agitating, and waiting works okay for all but the worst jobs.

Resist the urge to ring it out. You're going for the drip dry method. Turn it upside down a few times first and let the water run out of those strange places some rigs seem to have.

Depending on the humidity and temp is how long it takes to dry. Hanging it indoors in a room with a breeze is best. Outside is all right but of course not in the Sun. And watch how you hang it. Fabric is a little weaker when wet and it's going to be heavy with water.

I've have heard of some people using modern washing machines set on "very very gentle" and maybe someone can add to that, but I like the old fashioned way.

Oh, and don't forget to take out the packing data card . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

I made this mistake once. They are surprisingly water resistant!

Yeah, but the ink isn't always :ph34r:

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

What do you mean by ''ring it out'' ? I'm a french canadian so english is not my first language :P That's cool, it will look like new so I'll buy a brush and some woolite tonight.

Wring = twisting something to help push/squeeze the water out.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I used the "tub" method a few times and it works well. Was told by a master rigger to remove main, reserve and cypres. Protect all velcro, put the container in a large pillow case and put it in a washer on delicate or hand wash cycle. I believe that this is per PD's method.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

this has been discussed many times. I use the RWS method and it works great.......

this from the RWS site (in canada buy "zero" it is the same thing as woolite.....rm

Washing Your Vector
Over the years we've seen some extremely dirty Vectors! We've found that many people are unsure how to get their container clean. For that reason, we have put together the following instructions on how to make your Vector smell and look good again.

The best way to wash a rig is the "good old fashion way" with slightly warm water and Woolite.
Use a big tub; let the rig stay in the soapy water 4 hrs.
Occasionally swish the rig around in the tub to loosen dirt.
Drain soapy water, fill tub with clean water, and swish rig around until the clear water becomes soapy and cloudy.
Drain tub and repeat until all soap and dirt residue are gone, usually in 3 rinses.
Let the rig naturally dry, without direct sunlight. We usually allow a small fan to blow air past it to speed up the drying process.
We do not recommend using a washing machine. Extended agitation in a washing machine could have negative effects in the long run. This also requires you to wrap the heavy hardware to minimize damage to the machine. © 2000-2003 The Uninsured Relative Workshop, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

You've had some very good in-put, here. If, I can toss-in my two-cents worth...
I have found, that if you have grease or oil stains, pre-clean the spots (only) with Naphtha. To remove blood, COLD water is best for spot cleaning blood stains. Grass stains can be removed by spot cleaning with 'Simple Green'. If, the owner's manual came with your rig, look in it for some helpful hints on cleaning your rig. I've also found, (As previously mentioned), All Temperature Cheer (NO BLEACH... Please) and woolite work very good.

Chuck

Also, have someone that knows what they are doing help you take the reserve off.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Dave DeWolf talks about this during an interview on skydive radio. He is against using mechanical washing machines but I have used them with out any problems.

I think the key is cold water, gentle detergents, and the gentle cycle. Front loaders seem to be best because you don't have to worry about anything getting wrapped around the spindle in the middle.

I never did understand the pillow case thing. That seems unneeded to me. Especially if it is cotton which may shed and leave fuzz on the rig.

Remove the handles and protect the velcro.

Hello, I purchased my 1st rig yesterday and it's a bit dirty so I'd like to clean it. I've read on this site that a good way to do this is to remove the reserve and the main and dump the harness a bath and add some woolite. Do I have to remove the metal housings (the metal tubes where the cutaway and reserve cables go into) before cleaning the rig ? Thanks a lot !

Strongly recommend talking about this with your rigger before, during, and afterwards. They may be able to save you time, agrivation and money in the disassemble, wash and reassemble/pack. They may even do it for you, though likely for a bit of $green$.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...