stimpy4242

Altitrack vs Neptune

Could I hear people's oppinions on these tune altimeters? I am looking to purchase one or the other. I am looking for both to be used as a visual altimeter, but understand that the neptune also give audible information under canopy as small chirps, can these chirps be heard if you are wearing it on your wrist or does it still need to be mounted in the helmet? Please let me know so that I can make my purchase soon.
Jump at The Skydivin' Place
http://www.skydivepa-md.com

I have both, and both are fine units. Go with whichever one appeals to you the most (this is basically the choice between analog and digital readout). Little features sort of even each other out — Altitrack can replay jumps, and Neptune can show your rate of descent real-time, Altitrack has the detailed mode for the last 2000 ft of descent, and Neptune can beep swoop alarms, etc etc.

I can hear the swoop alarms, but only barely. I would not rely on those.

None with Altitrack, but I have seen a Neptune that went through a none too gentle washing machine cycle and came out almost unscathed.:)
I'd say Altitrack handles water worse than does the Neptune. That's just a gut feeling. I don't remember the battery compartment being sealed off, and there's also a USB port that has some pretty weak-looking rubber protection. Still, that's waaaay down on my list of priorities when I'm choosing an alti.

I have the Altitrack, and I have about 25 jumps on it so far. It doesn't have canopy alarms, besides an audible with canopy alarms would be way better suited for that then a wrist mounted altimeter.

It is nice to replay your jumps, either on the analog face, or in the jump long in the back. I wanted something with an analog face, and digital features, so it worked out great for me.

It fits on your hand great, and the dial is offset for easier viewing.

I give it 5 out of 5 so far.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

For visual purposes, Neptune is way more comfortable, easier to read under canopy, and much less confusing. I really don't like the increment changes on the face of the Altitrack. However, I have had no good luck with Neptunes (I have around 400 jumps on various versions and units), and I don't have much experience with the Altitrack. But after 4 jumps, it was uncomfortable enough for me to go back to my Alti 3.

So what am I trying to say here? Great question! Just giving my opinion. As long as the Viso doesn't get bad reviews, I'm buying one beginning next season.

Has anyone ever had difficulty reading the LCD display on the neptune in any conditions like a sunset jump or a heading into the sun or anything like that where you would have to readjust how you look at it to see?

Not yet. I usually do it instinctively, so if there's a little bit of glare on the screen, I just tilt my wrist to look at it better.

Same thing (glare) could happen on the analog alti's also...anything with a glass or plexiglass shield could cause glare.

But I've been super happy with my neptune, no probelms yet, and batteries still going strong for almost 4 months!

Has anyone ever had difficulty reading the LCD display on the neptune in any conditions like a sunset jump or a heading into the sun or anything like that where you would have to readjust how you look at it to see?

I've found digital altimeters somewhat difficult to read when jumping with polarized sunglasses. You have to move your wrist around to read the display, but that's because of the way polarized lenses reflect light off of glass. It has nothing to do with the altimeter.

Come to think of it, my response here has nothing to do with altimeters, and thus contibutes absolutely nothing this thread at all......so then....off to the next thread to fill it with more useless information.... C-YA! B|

Yes.

On sunset wingsuit or tracking jumps, I take an analog these days. If I remember. After which I have to update the logbook by hand.
Johan.
I am. I think.

Thank you for all your oppinions after a while I have decided to go with the altitrack. A few reasons, one at this time I have no need for an audible altimeter that give swoop alarms under canopy as I am still a student. Two, I have no need for a waterproof altimeter as I am still a student. I have learned on the analog face and it works. I am also sure that I want to be able to look and know what the altitude is by just telling where the needle is on the dial and I also know that LCD displays do tend to give glare and are difficult to read when light hits them especially at an angle and I don't feel like having to adjust my wrist to read it accurately. It seems there have been many complaints about the neptunes new and old version with battery issues, or freezing and while I understand altitrack is electronic I have not heard any complaints about that. Thanks once again for everyones advice.
Jump at The Skydivin' Place
http://www.skydivepa-md.com

at this time I have no need for an audible altimeter that give swoop alarms under canopy as I am still a student.

I'm not knocking your choice (hey I want an Alti-track too) but: canopy alarms are great - I think the term "swoop alarm" is a bit misleading. I know a couple of other novice jumpers who bought Optimas at the same time as me, and we each had our setup and accuracy improve hugely at a time when we were struggling with it.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I have an optima, but I am sorry for flying your pattern I find them almost useless.

How hard is it to glance at your altimeter as you setup the patern. The only time I even paid attention to the Optimas canopy alarms was when I was backing up in a 30 mph wind. I already knew I was hosed.

1K beeeeep.... YES I KNOW I AM NOT WHERE I AM SUPPOSED TO BE
600 beep beep beep.... I KNOW I KNOW
300 beeeep beeep beeep.... SHUT THE FAWK UP!!!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Fair enough. All I can say is, it helped me and some friends a lot, and now my accuracy is fine without the alarms.

"Dependency" is a dirty word around here, but it only happens if you let it.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?