matt1215

Tax procrastination

So who else has yet to file their taxes?

Hey...Pay 'em on time...As a handicapped vet, I depend on you to pay your taxes. And, by the way, thanks in advance for your generous donation to my house and car payments...lol.

TripleF

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."

I did my 1040 a long time ago, since they were giving me 3k back. I have been dragging my feet on the CT and NJ returns I have to file though. :S
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Did my taxes or I should say my tax man did my taxes the first weeks on FEB. Thank god I got to pay the credit card off I used for our wedding. I can see if I had to send them a check where I would wait until the last second. I hate tax season.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

For anyone whose taxes aren't too terribly jumbled with piles of odd things to consider, check out www.taxactonline.com. I've been doing my taxes on there for the last 6 years or so. Very easy and straightforward. If you are debating whether or not to itemize it will allow you to enter info and compare it against the standard deduction to see which is better for you. It will run through questions about other deductions you might be able to take and tell you whether or not you qualify.

It also keeps everything on record (which some people may not like) from year to year, but I like it as each year I can compare my return to that of the previous year. It's as quick and straightforward as the info you have to enter on the site. Might not do you much good if you are planning on just dropping a shoe box full of paperwork off to a CPA, but if you do it on your own it could well be worth it.

I'm sure it's pretty much the same as turbo tax, etc., but this came out about the same time as turbo tax did online and I've been happy with this ever since.
Killing threads since 2004.

So who else has yet to file their taxes? I actually did my forms around the first of the year, but have waited since I owe about $30 :$.

Me.

In December I noticed that our total witholdings were 120% of last year's tax liability which puts us well into the safe harbor that's needed to avoid penalties, and figured I could ignore it until I had all of the information.

That hasn't happened yet, so I figured out the upper limit on what we'll owe and am sending in our form 4868 with a matching check for $6800.

We still need to get a W2 that shows we lived in our previous state for the right length of time or get the IRS to yell at them and make assumptions if they don't respond in 10 days. This is after calling to change our residency after moving and a handful of E-mails and phone calls since the start of tax season. We also have to get the interest/dividend/capital gains breakdown by state from eight accounts; knowing what records we'd need before moving would have simplified things.

Once that happens I'll FedEx the mess to my accountant and see if they'll let us deduct the relocation company fees we reimbursed my previous employer for (moving household goods and storing them for 30 days is an above the line deduction; but does paying move management, inc count as part of that?)...

So who else has yet to file their taxes? I actually did my forms around the first of the year, but have waited since I owe about $30

I pretty much just finished my 2006 tax return and I owe almost 14k in taxes for a sole-proprietor business I had in 2006. So I will be filing my return at the last possible moment.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over