vmsfreaky1

What the fuck is EMO?

It's music that's so bad you want to kill yourself.

Actually, where the 70s had punk, the 80s, had metal, the 90s had grunge, the 00s have emo. It's the music of the teenage generation. The difference is whereas punk, metal, and grunge were all had the attitude of "go fuck yourself", emo has the attitude of "woe to me". the name emo stems from "emotional". it's the bitchy, whiny, music of the new generation that just wants to make you strangle yourself.
This ad space for sale.

ugh, people are so judgemental... you can actually listen to the music and really appreciate it because it appeals to you, without wearing black and having a floppy fringe and too much eye make up. just because some people choose to dress a certain way doesn't mean everyone who listens to emo is a cry baby who wants to cut themselves. I couldn't be happier with my life but i still like the tunes... anyway sounds like another ridiculous scapegoat, guess marylin manson just isn't around so much these days to take the blame for the behaviour of others. :)

And you shed not a single tear for the things that you didn't need
'Cause you knew you were finally free - Death Cab For Cutie

Can anyone tell me what EMO is?

This should tell you everything you ever wanted to know (and make fun of).

http://hopeisemo.com/video-format/ipod

Brought to you by the same folks that brought you Ask a Ninja.

(Why, as a 49-year-old white guy, do I know this crap and you don't?)

this makes me want to kill myself
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

Now, now, don't be so judgemental of the people being judgemental. ;)

For me it's all about the appropriateness of what is being talked about.

If My Chemical Romance puts out an album inspired the tragedy of losing one's life early because of cancer, that's pretty interesting stuff and worth listening to. They also happen to be pretty awesome musicians and I really dig their idea of the "anti-Sgt. Pepper" thing.

If, on the other hand it's some whining snot kid as depicted in and made fun of by Hope Is Emo, well, come on . . . I don't care who you are, that's funny as hell. We've all seen the kids and heard the whining about absolutely nothing.

On the "dark" side, I see nothing wrong with exploring pretty much every side of the human experience, including the trails cut by Edgar Allen Poe. Without the "dark", there is no "light".

Hell, I even understand the concept of a kid cutting themselves. Not really sure I understand all the people that do it just to be "fashionable" but the one explaination that was offered up to me when I talked to one kid at length was kinda facinating; "it's the one pain I get to control". Now, I don't know exactly if that was her original statement or exactly how much pain this kid was really in, but I really did like the idea.

quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Sshhhh I'm trying to be funny. Even I like some of it. ;)

Hey, where is my PM mister Lazy McLazy Face McGee? i've had to resort to actually reading and replying to the forum :|

I dont know Quade :D what can u tell me about Numetal? ;)

A little less easy to define actually.

If you went to 90s Lallapaloozas, you definitely heard it, but even the "fans" of the genres might have a hard time pinning the sound down track for track.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Sure I didn't say it's not funny to make light of people who perpetuate the serteotype of any subculture, but I guess looking at that kind of behaviour objectively you have to wonder why kids do these kinds of things? I can imagine it's because they're growing up and trying to fit in, they're finding their feet and looking to belong or looking to associate with something and sometimes that means dressing a certain way because they think it's cool or they identify with it... It's a learning thing and not everyone can be self assured at a young age to forge their own style and still fit happily into playground society.

I never dressed emo, or sat around and cut myself but I did listen to the music from about age 15 when emo wasn't really as popular as it is these days and it definitely wasn't something you choose to listen to to fit in when everyone else was listening to grunge and poppunk or rap and rnb.

I think with every wave of music there will always be one that appears to insight violence or sadness or harm, and people will go ahead and blame it like they blame emo or goth or punk or whatever, but the people who act upon the violence or sadness are doing so because something else is wrong... They just identify with the music, I don’t imagine it to be the cause of their issues. There are plenty of people who have grown up with that kind of music and haven't gone to extremes. Of course I'm sure I'm not saying anything here that people don't already know...

I think people trash stuff without any idea of what they're trashing.... Now if anyone wants to talk about how bad rnb, western music and metal is and how it's degrading our society and killing our youth... :P

I agree, country music is contributing to excessive beer drinking, fights at NASCAR races, and the systematic extermination of rural highway signs via shotgun. Tragic.

The Emo is in every generation. It is about the not fitting in thing. I was one in 1987, musician, wearing all black, listening to The Cure, even wearing eyeliner from time to time. Long before Goth. Although, we didn't have cutting, we just smoked pot like normal teenagers. :D
In the 50/60's it was the "hipster", wearing all black, worshiping Kerouac. What was it in the 70's?

Emo solution- Take away the X Box, make them go outside and play, and then as teenagers make them get a part time job.

http://www.skydiveatlanta.com
http://www.musiccityskydiving.com

Can anyone tell me what EMO is?

This should tell you everything you ever wanted to know (and make fun of).

http://hopeisemo.com/video-format/ipod

Brought to you by the same folks that brought you Ask a Ninja.

Quade, you drive a cool car too ;);)

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."