grue

Tailwheel aircraft.

This used to be a Cessna 180, out of which many jumps were made, until it was taxied into railroad ties surrounding a fuel pump, nosed down, and burst into flames. (The pilot walked away.)

(N numbers thinly disguised to protect the embarrassed.:P)

HW

Oh the humanity! :(:(:(:(
Sad ending for a fine old bird.

Hi Grue,
'Learned to fly airplanes in a 7AC "Airknocker" Champ N2211E 65 hp. Cont. powered. Yup keep pumping the pedals, you'll get used to it. Fortunately with the Champ it's easy to see over the nose. Best thing I did as far as flying goes is learn in the taildragger first!!!! Nose wheel planes then were a breeze!!!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

This used to be a Cessna 180, out of which many jumps were made, until it was taxied into railroad ties surrounding a fuel pump, nosed down, and burst into flames. (The pilot walked away.)

HW

Oh the humanity! :(:(:(:(
Sad ending for a fine old bird.

Ain't that the truth!!! Flying a C-180 is like going back to the womb. Got a bunch of hours and jumps in those birds.
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!

HW

Like Jeff Spicoli from Fast Times at Ridgemont High said, 'I can fix it! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

A long time ago, at a dropzone far, far away, one of the jumpers was itching to get in some midweek jumps, but the DZ only operated its 2 180's on weekends. So the DZO told him: "Find a pilot who can come out on Wednesdays, and you can jump then."

"No problem!", chirped the jumper; "I've got a friend...!". So the jumper brought out his friend, (who had flown 182's, and the DZO checked him out in the 180.

Next Wednesday, first jump; The 180 has just touched down on landing from the first load, and suddenly the pilot sees OH SHIT PARACHUTE DIRECTLY AHEAD!!! Well, the plane was rolling down the runway, and the canopy was passing over the runway at a couple hundred feet, but the pilot freaked and stomped both brakes.

Scratch one perfectly good 180.>:(

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Grue

Try to land (and takeoff) a tricycle gear in a bumpy field or on a sand bar in the middle of a river or on a hilltop. The mild inconvenience of having to learn to "s" taxi will be more than made up for in the versatility of a tail wheel
John Fosgate
"In the end, its always best to choose the hard right over the easy wrong." LouDiamond
MB 4310
www.N3Racing.com

It's the only type of a/c I have ever flown. After awhile it is totally natural. Challanging but natural. I got my first ground loop overwith during primary training in my own Citabria. Not saying I'll never have another but I sure would hate to hurt my 180!

jon

Grue

Try to land (and takeoff) a tricycle gear in a bumpy field or on a sand bar in the middle of a river or on a hilltop. The mild inconvenience of having to learn to "s" taxi will be more than made up for in the versatility of a tail wheel

This is why if I were a pilot, I'd stick to real runways, or use a rotary wing for landing anywhere else ;)
cavete terrae.