Buried

Us lefties may die soon

sooner that is.

Even tho lefties rock, i can't say i agree with it, but figured i'd be dead sooner anyways to test the theory. The world is always against us lefties.. first binders and notebooks, then scissors, now death?. i think selective breeding may remove all lefties from the world. more conspiracy i say!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/05/01/left.handed.reut/index.html

Studies: Left-handedness may be linked to shorter life span

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- A study suggests that women who are left-handed have a higher risk of dying, particularly from cancer and cerebrovascular disease - damage to an artery in the brain or an artery that supplies blood to the brain.

While it could be a chance finding and the evidence is far from conclusive, numerous reports have associated left-handedness with various disorders and, in general, a shorter life span, Dutch researchers note in their report in the journal Epidemiology.

"Left-handers are reported to be underrepresented in the older age groups, although such findings are still much debated," write Dr. Made K. Ramadhani and colleagues from University Medical Center Utrecht. It is estimated that about 1 in 10 people are lefties.

Among 12,178 middle-aged Dutch women the researchers followed for nearly 13 years, 252 died.

When left-handed women were compared with the other women, and the data were adjusted for a number of potentially confounding factors, lefties had a 40 percent higher risk of dying from any cause, a 70 percent higher risk of dying from cancer, and a 30 percent higher risk of dying from diseases of the circulatory system.

Left-handed women also had a two-fold increased risk of dying from breast cancer, close to a five-fold increased risk of dying from colorectal cancer, and more than a three-fold higher risk of cerebrovascular mortality.

The underlying mechanisms remain elusive, although genetics and environmental factors may be involved, Ramadhani and colleagues suggest. Much of the research into handedness and mortality has been fueled by the hypothesis that left-handedness is the result of an insult suffered during prenatal life, which ultimately leads to the early death.

The author of a commentary, Dr. Olga Basso, who is left-handed, is highly skeptical, in general, of research relating disease and death with handedness. "I am not alone in thinking that the literature on handedness suffers from a number of ills," regardless of the putative illnesses seen in those who are left-handed, she notes.

"Having successfully dodged a number of disorders," adds Basso, "I doubt that my left hand is prematurely pulling me toward my grave."

Basso is with National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina.

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

Well.. maybe this will help you feel better..

As far as recovering/maintaining speech and language abilities after a stroke, being left-handed may offer some protection because the brains of some left-handed people are less lateralized for language.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Well.. maybe this will help you feel better..

As far as recovering/maintaining speech and language abilities after a stroke, being left-handed may offer some protection because the brains of some left-handed people are less lateralized for language.

SEE! You're not a total slacker! Look what you went and learned.... :P

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

When left-handed women were compared with the other women, and the data were adjusted for a number of potentially confounding factors, lefties had a 40 percent higher risk of dying from any cause, a 70 percent higher risk of dying from cancer, and a 30 percent higher risk of dying from diseases of the circulatory system.

Well, hell, I should just drink the whole bottle of wine tonight.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Well, hell, I should just drink the whole bottle of wine tonight.

can i come over and share?

ps. i'll bring the whip

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

ps. i'll bring the whip

A whip? You must have me confused with someone else! :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Well this explains when I was packing my left handed rig and my friend told me "That shit is going to kill you."

He must have been talking about me being left handed, not my rig.:S:D

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" ~Adam Savage

I was the only lefty in my household growing up. My mom used it as an excuse to not teach me things, from tying my shoes to sewing.

Because of that, I have never liked complaining about how "difficult" the world is for us lefties. Because the world is geared towards right-handedness, we are much more ambidextrous and more flexible in learning to adapt to things.

I'm happy I'm a lefty and I always find that fellow lefties are the coolest people I know.B|

This thread is sexist LOL :D...what about left-handed men?

and secondly, I don't know about ya'll, but I'm not going anywhere. If I was gonna' die, I would have a long time ago... AAAAAAAAh, the memories, and stories.

Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

I'm happy I'm a lefty and I always find that fellow lefties are the coolest people I know.B|

Even me:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Well....more power to the "righties"! Personally, I think it's all in the mind. If we eat right & take care of our bodies.....that is the best anyone can do to prevent deseases & illnesses. We are more likely to get hit by a car or a stray bullet than being a "lefty"!

I'm a "lefty" and I'm proud of it. :D
"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492

Because the world is geared towards right-handedness, we are much more ambidextrous and more flexible in learning to adapt to things.

I'm with you on that. I used to be able to write just as well with both hands, but haven't written with my right hand for years now. I'm pretty ambidextrous with most things. Besides, only lefies are in our right minds :P
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

Did all you lefties know historically you've always been regarded as a bit on the dark side/wrong 'uns the lot of you.. the word sinister's derivation comes from latin for on the left :o

this study is just another plot against you in your continued perseuction

as I counted only one other right hander in this thread I'd also like to
say,

two rights dont make a wrong :|

but what do I know

I was the only lefty in my household growing up. My mom used it as an excuse to not teach me things, from tying my shoes to sewing.

Because of that, I have never liked complaining about how "difficult" the world is for us lefties. Because the world is geared towards right-handedness, we are much more ambidextrous and more flexible in learning to adapt to things.

I'm happy I'm a lefty and I always find that fellow lefties are the coolest people I know.

In the work that I do, some things have to be done upside down and backwards for the finished product to look good. I see a lot of right handed people scratching their heads.