ifall

I love you but I'm not in love with you.

It's possible to love someone and not be IN love with them. Like many said, they love their family, but they are not IN love with them. I have many friends that I love and would do almost anything for, but they are friends. Unfortunately, the word "love" is used to loosely most of the time.

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

Absolutely possible. I have ex-girlfriends that if I was asked whether I still "love" I would reply, "Yes." (No, certainly not all of them:|)

I have friends that I love. Family that I love. People with whom I shudder to think of life without their presence.

But I am "in love" with but one person. There is a big difference.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Whatevs. Your new name is Amelia Bedelia.

I think his current name is rather fitting, especially considering the parallel between his posts, and the comments made the the south park character Butters. :ph34r:
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Love is something that's neverending... in love comes and goes... in love is more of a temporary enfatuation. love is between your family, your close friends, and often times, long time SO's. I think you CAN love someone without being in love with someone.:|

Please reference the ladder theory regarding women.:D

Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

So I have been having this conversation with a girl at work and she is trying to convince me to see it her way but I just can't.

Do you think it is possible to love someone but not be in love with them? Explain your reasoning too if you would like to. Since she is a female and has a certain opinion about on it and I am a male I'd like to seperate the two in this poll if you would please.

This is my :D poll so please humor me.:)

It means you ain't gonna be gettin' any.

Any more questions?
:P
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

You definately can.

I said to a nutty female friend of mine the other day that I love her in casual conversation and her eyes nearly popped out her head, especially as shes 15 years older than me and married with 2 kids! :D She realised what I meant afterwards. Never had any romantic feelings towards her, just love her company and hanging out. A friend who you don't actually mind hearing how shit there day has been.

Another girl I feel the same way for was actually a failed attempt at pulling. I really liked her but she didn't like me like that. Hurt me at first until I got used to the idea and moved on, but now we are really close and it actually seems kinda weird to think about her as anything more. In a funny way I'm glad it never went furthur cos I wouldn't have what I got now with her. Odd huh :S

"I love you but I'm not in love with you" means a few things to me:

Scenario 1: We were really good, close friends and one wants to advance the relationship and the other doesn't and that is the way to set a boundary with the friend in hopes of maintaining the friendship;

OR

Scenario 2: We were in a relationship and one decided to move on with another mate and let the other down as easy as possible and attempt to maintain a friendship vs intimate relationship with that person.

I agree that these are the two scenarios in which you are most likely to actually hear the words said aloud. Apart from that, though, I also agree that you can love people without being IN love with them and it doesn't have to be in a someone-getting-jilted context. I love one of my former bosses like a father figure, but I'm not IN love with him and I certainly would never have the occasion to announce that to him. He would think I was absolutely crazy if I said that!
TPM Sister #102

I agree that these are the two scenarios in which you are most likely to actually hear the words said aloud. Apart from that, though, I also agree that you can love people without being IN love with them and it doesn't have to be in a someone-getting-jilted context. I love one of my former bosses like a father figure, but I'm not IN love with him and I certainly would never have the occasion to announce that to him. He would think I was absolutely crazy if I said that!

Do you think that we freely use the word "love" to mean "deeply care for"?

Do you think that we freely use the word "love" to mean "deeply care for"?

I would have thought that "deeply care for" would most certainly be a a very large component of love
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I care deeply for my exhusband and would be devastated if anything happened to him, but I'm not in love with him.

you didnt say IN love you said love
IN love is the euphoric infatuiational aspect of falling in love.
Loving someone does not have to have the infatuational aspect
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

So I have been having this conversation with a girl at work and she is trying to convince me to see it her way but I just can't.

Do you think it is possible to love someone but not be in love with them? Explain your reasoning too if you would like to. Since she is a female and has a certain opinion about on it and I am a male I'd like to seperate the two in this poll if you would please.

Welcom to friend status. Aparently you weren't bad boy enough for her. I love you, but am not in love with you. There are many variations of this. My ex wife said the same bullshit ... well she is still my wife on paper, but that is a story for another day. Basically she, "loves you like a good friend, brother, sister, father, mother... whatever you take your pick" nothing to see with her just move on
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Welcom to friend status. Aparently you weren't bad boy enough for her. I love you, but am not in love with you. There are many variations of this. My ex wife said the same bullshit ... well she is still my wife on paper, but that is a story for another day. Basically she, "loves you like a good friend, brother, sister, father, mother... whatever you take your pick" nothing to see with her just move on

Wow, interesting.:S So does everybody just read the first post and make assumptions?:|