floridadiver81

Skydive depression

Sure, Douva is coming off a overly bitter in this thread. And the original poster is coming off as over zealous. But I can't help but think that in their own ways they're both right, and somewhere in between lies the happy medium most of us who have stayed in the sport more than a year or so have managed to walk.

And maybe Douva stepped on the toes of those of us that have spent our entire adult lives in skydiving.
Working, training, giving back.
Floridadiver might be a little radical in his new obsession but there is no reason to shit all over his shoes at this stage. He will figure things out on his own, sooner or later.
Sometimes ya get caught up in a cult and the only way out is to drink the kool-aid. :)

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

There is nothing wrong with someone who spends years in the sport of skydiving and gradually grows more and more involved in it. Without that natural progression, there would be no instructors, competitors, videographers, DZOs, etc. And if someone at that level of involvement is forced to take an extended break from skydiving, he or she may feel that a piece of the puzzle is missing. That's healthy.

What's not healthy is drawing all of your happiness and day-to-day motivation from a hobby, PARTICULARLY a hobby in which you've only been involved for thirty-seven days. There is a difference between an experienced jumper who considers skydiving an important piece of the puzzle and a "newbie" whose puzzle has only one piece. Far too many new jumpers get sucked in by the adrenaline rush and the comradery and immediately expect skydiving to shoulder much too large a burden in their lives.

Sure, floridadiver81 may figure out on his own, the way a lot of us did, that skydiving can't fill most of the voids in his life, but he may figure it out only after, as I've seen before, he sacrifices more than he can ever get back. Or he may, as I suspect is the case with a few of the more militant posters in this thread, sacrifice so much that he can't ever accept that skydiving is not the pinnacle of existence because to do so would be to recognize how little return he got for everything he gave up. So I'm suggesting he step back and take a more balanced approach to skydiving. If you disagree with my suggestion, that's your problem, not mine.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Newbie's naive....and needs to get a life.

I'm working on that. Ya know how it is, i gotta steal the newbie up before he realizes what a lame person i really am.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

So I'm suggesting he step back and take a more balanced approach to skydiving. If you disagree with my suggestion, that's your problem, not mine.

In that I agree...but....its all in the delivery.
Yours was a little strong.

bozo

Firstly.. I'm not "sacrificing anything. If i was i would have been i would have been kicked out of the military, have no place to live, and be completely broke to the point where i cant even eat a meal. I'm not doing that. All i was saying with the original post of this thread that since i start skydiving it really sucks that i cant do it as often as i wanted to...due to other obligations that are typical with life....then you went off into a tangent attacking my way of life...or at least HOW YOU THINK i live life. Sadly..you were wrong with most..if not all...of your assumptions. You tried comparing skydiving to a relationship...that..in my opinion is not even comparable. A relationship involves another person....skydiving does not..therefore not complicating things more. You talk about taking an unwanted extended break...does it really matter what experience level the person is at that is taking the break. Numerous people that have responded in this thread have stated that they feel the same way i do now....and they are a lot more experienced than myself...so i fail to see your point in that.
I'm not going to take a "step back" because i have nothing to take a step back to. I'm new in the sport, i cant do it as much as i want to, it sucks.....THAT WAS MY POINT...sheesh. Try not to over analyze the things people say/type on here. I'm thinking if you wouldn't have...this thread wouldn't have made it to 5 pages.
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

"If you disagree with my suggestions, that's your problem, not mine."

We ALL have a problem if we don't agree with one poster's opinion? I didn't know that. Did you?

Now all you disagree'rs, get your problematic asses off to a shrink.

Another thing,...ahhh forget it.

Jason,
You're OK man...don't let the naysayers and "armchair psychiatrists" bring you down. You are allowed to tell anybody to fuck off...except Sunny, that is.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Jason,
You're OK man...don't let the naysayers and "armchair psychiatrists" bring you down. You are allowed to tell anybody to fuck off...except Sunny, that is.
:D:D

She knows i would never do that B|
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie

"If you disagree with my suggestions, that's your problem, not mine."

We ALL have a problem if we don't agree with one poster's opinion? I didn't know that. Did you?

Yes, as in someone saying, "I have a problem with your suggestions." Other ways to phrase it would have been, "If you have a problem with my suggestions, it's your problem, not mine." or "It's of no real concern to me if you have a problem with my suggestions." Does it make sense now?

In looking back through the posts in this thread, I see a lot of feel-good rhetoric, a lot of defensive responses to hurt feelings, and a little name calling, but I don't see any intelligent rebuttals to anything I've said. The last rebuttal by floridadiver81 is an incoherent, back peddling mess. That rambling, ellipses heavy disaster fails to make a single valid point in its vain attempt to argue that his original rambling post about the bleakness of his life without skydiving was simply a longwinded way of saying, "I wish I could skydive more often." After all the shit this thread has stirred up, I sure he wishes that's what he'd said, but it's not.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

still arguing :P

You tried comparing skydiving to a relationship...that..in my opinion is not even comparable

Personally, I think skydiving CAN be compared to a relationship with a woman. Demanding, expensive, time consuming, INSPIRING, sometimes frustrating, it can influence you life in a very positive way but can also seriously damage it. To me skydiving is almost like being in love.

If you say you are not willing to make a sacrifice, perhaps and are not in love. :P

The best way to win the argument with Douva is to get out and make some skydives. Perhaps, after making a few hundred jumps you will realize that you knew almost nothing about skydiving when you had 4.
:P

After all the shit this thread has stirred up, I sure he wishes that's what he'd said, but it's not.

Well..all the "shit stirring" was between you and i..but i will agree with you in what you said about what i should have said. Im admitting fault there. But..you should learn to be a little more easy on how you "criticize" others.

But..you should learn to be a little more easy on how you "criticize" others.

But if I'd used that approach, I wouldn't have had any way to pass my free time for the past two days.

But..you should learn to be a little more easy on how you "criticize" others.

But if I'd used that approach, I wouldn't have had any way to pass my free time for the past two days.

You might take up skydiving.;)

bozo

So..take your own advice and get another hobby ;)

After all the shit this thread has stirred up, I sure he wishes that's what he'd said, but it's not.

Well..all the "shit stirring" was between you and i..but i will agree with you in what you said about what i should have said. Im admitting fault there. But..you should learn to be a little more easy on how you "criticize" others.

ahhh.... Now, you two hug! I love the Bonfire! So much love!! :D:D:D

ok..apparently you know something i dont...tell me dang it!

If you do the proper search, you'll find out what it's all about...>:(

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."