diverdad

Buying a vehicle on Ebay motors????

Have any of you ever bought a vehicle on Ebay? What was your experience like? Was the vehicle how it was represented?

Were thinking about bidding on ebay but are a little nervous about buying a car from the other side of the country off of the internet. I suppose it should be ok since that's how I bought my rig. :P It just makes me nervous to spend lots of money on something I haven't seen or know anything about.

Scott

I had the same concerns. One route suggested to me while I was looking was to find a AAA recognized mechanic in the area and have the seller take it there for an inspection. You pay the inspection cost. That way you have a neutral third party protecting your interests.

I bought my 2001 Passat used from a dealer in Ohio. I contacted him and felt very comfortable with the info he gave. He had the Carfax report. Lots of photos were included showing just about every angle of the car. He even had the maintenance records. It was exactly as described. I went the Buy It Now route. Had no problems. He even picked me up at the airport when I went to get it. It's always buyer beware, but I had a good experience.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I've bought two cars on e-Bay. They were the easiest and most problem-free car transactions I have ever had. The trick is to only buy from someone with a lot of excellent feedback selling cars.
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

I've bought two cars on e-Bay. They were the easiest and most problem-free car transactions I have ever had. The trick is to only buy from someone with a lot of excellent feedback selling cars.

Same here. Bought 2 cars from 2 different >99% sellers. E-mailed and called both multiple times with questions beforehand.....both struck me as sincere, so I bid, and won. Drove one back from Northern Va. and the other from Penn. with no problems. Both were better than advertised.

Read ALL the seller's feedbacks beforehand. Anyone with more than 50-100 sales with 99%+ feedback is obviously in it for the long-haul, and wants to keep their high-confidence ratings intact.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

A neighbor of mine bought a car 2 weeks ago on ebay. ( I was out of town) He has had A LOT of problems. The car was not in nearly in as good condition as advertised, plus in "did not drive right". He checked car fax etc.

Somehow he managed to track down the previous owner of the vehicle. When he started asking questions about the car, the lady said, "I do not know how you bought that car. My daughter was killed in that car and the car was totaled." So needless to say, someone bought the car, fixed it and sold it with a new title.

Anyway, I have heard some good and bad, but a car is a complex machine and buying one online that you cannot drive or check out first would be risky in my opinion.

Sounds like people either love it or hate it. I just think it would kinda bite having to fly out to pick up a vehicle and then find out it was misrepresented.

How did some of you pay for the item? We have used PayPal for small stuff but the larger items that need to be financed are totally different.

Scott

largest stolen goods clearing house on the planet!
[:/]
FUCK E-BAY!>:(

Off topic as it concerns the selling of cars, but word to your mother! There must be thousands of stolen goods resellers on e-bay. What fascinates me are the ones who get away with blatantly reselling "lost" shipment goods from UPS and FedEx. It's amazing. Guys on the dock at UPS/FedEx are DEFINITELY in collusion with lost baggage crooks who sell to third-party E-bay outlet guys. It is positively a criminal racket.

Mark, you just struck a nerve.

Here's what I saw from the replies. (And also from my experience on ebay)

First, a bit of background, I made a living off ebay for about three-four years and had well over 7000 feedback. Almost everything I buy, I buy from ebay.

Vehicles, however, is different.

If it's a dealer, I wouldn't be concerned about it. For the most part, they have to follow lemon laws, they'll have feedback, etc. If it's a person selling a one-off car, check it out before you make a bid.

I bought a motorcycle when I was 17 off ebay without looking at it. I'm not going to go into the story but I ended up riding it for four hours, spending $400 to get it working again, and reselling it with an $200 loss (total $600).

But the main thing is, unless it's a reliable dealer, don't buy without seeing it first.
This ad space for sale.

Here's what I saw from the replies. (And also from my experience on ebay)

First, a bit of background, I made a living off ebay for about three-four years and had well over 7000 feedback. Almost everything I buy, I buy from ebay.

Vehicles, however, is different.

If it's a dealer, I wouldn't be concerned about it. For the most part, they have to follow lemon laws, they'll have feedback, etc. If it's a person selling a one-off car, check it out before you make a bid.

I bought a motorcycle when I was 17 off ebay without looking at it. I'm not going to go into the story but I ended up riding it for four hours, spending $400 to get it working again, and reselling it with an $200 loss (total $600).

But the main thing is, unless it's a reliable dealer, don't buy without seeing it first.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Yeh, it would have to be a dealer for me to bite. Problem is being 1200 miles away, I just can't come and take a look. ;)

Thanks for all the info everyone. It was really helpful.

Scott

I bought my Porsche Boxster on Ebay from an exotic cars "dealer". They had great feedback and TONS of pictures of the car...even of the slight scratch it had on the door handle inside the car. :o Overall it was a great experience, and wouldn't hesitate to do it again for my next car!

Cheers!

--Jairo

Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!