SarahC07

Road Bike

Buy used. If it's your first bike, buy under 600cc. Suzuki and Honda are good places to start.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Go to a real bike shop. Don't get one from any of the big box stores. Look to spend about 250 that should give you a decent entry level road bike, but as with everything the sky is the limit. My friend bought a carbon Fiber road bike it cost him 3k, but then he gave me his old bike for free
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

What a sec motorcycle or bicycle?

I'm confused too... but I have some of the same questions as she does... I'd like a road bike to commute to and from work... and would like to walk into a bike shop with some idea about what I should be looking for in a bike. unfortunately I haven't bought one in several years. [:/]
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

What a sec motorcycle or bicycle?

I'm confused too... but I have some of the same questions as she does... I'd like a road bike to commute to and from work... and would like to walk into a bike shop with some idea about what I should be looking for in a bike. unfortunately I haven't bought one in several years. [:/]

Whoops...sorry if it about a bicycle, I don't have a clue...:):S
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

What is your definition for a ton of money?

My first road bike was right at $1000 which is really cheap compared to what some of my friends were riding at the time $3000-$5000 bikes.

Is it going to be purely a road bike or are you planning on taking it on a few light trails or are you wanting something that can go on heavy rocky trails.

The biggest thing (IMHO) is getting good components (shifters, cranks, and derailers). Shimano are hard to beat Shimano 105s are a good component. They are about mid-level in the Shimano hierarchy, but if you go lower (Tiagra) than that you really can notice the difference. If you go higher in the hierarchy (Dura-Ace) you are mainly paying a lot of money to cut off weight and see minimal performance enhancements.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

I'd go in the general direction that WYS is. 105's are good components. I have had a few friends have very so-so luck with lower tier comps (like the Soras and Tiagras).

If you dont want to spend a lot of money, go for no mane companies that use the same type of frames as the big names, without the names.

I got a Scattante (the non name brand from www.performancebike.com, but they also have Tirreno as another no name) with 105 main compenents, Truvative and FSA, carbon fork. The frame is all UltraLite Easton alum, made at the same factory that makes many of the really big names. I paid 600. That's hard to beat. I've put about 2500 miles on it now, and except for a freak bottom bracket that snapped under load (replaced under warranty), I havent had any issues.

IF you really dont mind a stupid name-brand, Cadillac is trying to recup money of a real dumbass marketing move by selling some good bikes for REAL cheap. Check out Costco at: http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.aspx?whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|111|195&N=4007944&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=22170&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&topnav=

They sold out of the very top end Dura Ace equiped bikles, but all 3 bikes are very good deals. The only question mark is the frame. The 1.8 at $600 is an awesome deal IMO. At that price, the frame cant be that big of a deal if you are not interested in top level performance.

That is, if you dont mind having a big CADILLAC logo on your bike! :ph34r:(stickers are cheap! lol)

Remster

There are two guys here at Z-hills with $4000 mountain bikes that they only rarely ride. Fully "race faced", ten inches of downhill travel up front, etc. Just what you need down here on the DZ. You can buy two nice, used motorcycles (one dirt and one street) for that money.

Chuck